Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2018 11:24:30 AM EDT
As it relates to hull type. Deep V, bass, etc..

It will mostly be used for bass fishing, musky/northern casting, panfishing on IN/MI/WI lakes. I want something stable in the water when 3 or more people are fishing out of it but has the versatility for multi species fishing. My dad has a 17' Smoker Craft V bottom and you can feel every time someone steps to one side or the other. I've fished out of a Lowe with a wider beam/flatter bottom and it's much better mitigating that. Also curious about HP requirements to allow the different hull profiles to be able to get up on plane, how they handle rough water conditions, steering/handling.
Looking for something in the 17'-19' range, livewells, rod lockers, single console.

It's overwhelming boat shopping with all the different options out there. If anyone has experience with a couple different types that could chime in I would really appreciate it. If there is also a "boat buyers guide for dummies" out there somewhere please point me in that direction. I havent come across anything will all that data in one place. Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#1]
What's your budget?

If it's in the mid $20k's, I'd consider the Tracker Pro Guide V175 series. $30k-$36k the Targa series from Tracker is a good bang for your buck too.

Of course Lund and SmokerCraft are trusted names in the Deep V multi-species style boats.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's your budget?

If it's in the mid $20k's, I'd consider the Tracker Pro Guide V175 series. $30k-$36k the Targa series from Tracker is a good bang for your buck too.

Of course Lund and SmokerCraft are trusted names in the Deep V multi-species style boats.
View Quote
I don't necessarily have a budget, but I was anticipating 20(used)-25K(new) based on what I've found so far. I dont think I would be sacrificing features that I want if I stay around that price range.

ETA: The Tracker Pro Team 190 with a mercury 115 XS is something I had my eye on. 25k’ish new.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#3]
The Pro Team 190 is a Mod-V hull. It'll be great in calm water but it's my understanding you'll encounter some big water on the bodies of water you mentioned. With that in mind, I wouldn't go that route and would opt for the deep-V hull, but that's just my opinion. The last thing you want to do is buy a boat that may keep you from doing what you want to do, the way you want to do it. With a lower profile hull design, you'll have to be more attentive to the weather/water conditions. Every hull design is great on calm days but not so much when the wind gets up. Down here in SC, we don't have the big water and big wind like you get up there so down here, we don't see many deep-V boats because low profile type hulls (bass boats and jon boats) are the norm. Again, don't buy a boat that will limit you. A boat is about getting out there and getting after'em.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Pro Team 190 is a Mod-V hull. It'll be great in calm water but it's my understanding you'll encounter some big water on the bodies of water you mentioned. With that in mind, I wouldn't go that route and would opt for the deep-V hull, but that's just my opinion. The last thing you want to do is buy a boat that may keep you from doing what you want to do, the way you want to do it. With a lower profile hull design, you'll have to be more attentive to the weather/water conditions. Every hull design is great on calm days but not so much when the wind gets up. Down here in SC, we don't have the big water and big wind like you get up there so down here, we don't see many deep-V boats because low profile type hulls (bass boats and jon boats) are the norm. Again, don't buy a boat that will limit you. A boat is about getting out there and getting after'em.
View Quote
This is the type of info that I’m after so I appreciate the input. I found a 190TX at the local bass pro so I’m going to go look at it here in a little bit to check out the deck setup and what not. I agree that a deep V may be a better option based on the lakes I may be fishing in the future, but I really like the large casting area and that they are more flush to the top of the boat unlike most of the deep V’s I’ve seen. I’m sure there’s is something out there that fits the bill, I just need to find it.

ETA: One of the things I notice watching the FLW tournaments is the huge bodies of what that these guys with fish. Kentucky lake, Lake Erie, etc. and they all have that profile of boat. Granted, we’re comparing a 25K boat to a 80K boat, but hull design is similar.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is the type of info that I’m after so I appreciate the input. I found a 190TX at the local bass pro so I’m going to go look at it here in a little bit to check out the deck setup and what not. I agree that a deep V may be a better option based on the lakes I may be fishing in the future, but I really like the large casting area and that they are more flush to the top of the boat unlike most of the deep V’s I’ve seen. I’m sure there’s is something out there that fits the bill, I just need to find it.

ETA: One of the things I notice watching the FLW tournaments is the huge bodies of what that these guys with fish. Kentucky lake, Lake Erie, etc. and they all have that profile of boat. Granted, we’re comparing a 25K boat to a 80K boat, but hull design is similar.
View Quote
Fishing a large southern lake and fishing a large northern lake are two different animals. A big lake down here in the south barely makes a small lake up north. Plus, the professional bass fishermen you mentioned spend more time on southern lakes. They may only fish on 2-3 northern lakes in a season so the boats they're fishing from has to be better-suited for the types of water they use it on the most. Look at walleye tournament boats. Most of those tournaments take place on northern lakes and most of the participants use deep-V style boats because they're going to encounter bigger (rougher) water more often. Don't get me wrong, lakes down here can get pretty sporty with the right wind but that's more the exception and not the rule.

Like I said before, get a boat that won't limit what you can do. Get a boat that will best fit the type of fishing you want to do but don't overlook the environment in which you'll be doing it.

The Tracker Pro Team 190TX is a solid boat at a great price point (<$25k). One big difference between the Tracker and say a Ranger or Triton aluminum boat is foam. Ranger/Triton aluminum boats (made in the same plant, come down the same assembly line, have the same hull) use more foam and are considerably more stable than a Tracker of comparable size. Granted, where a tracker Pro Team 190 TX will run in the low-to-mid $20k's, the Ranger RT188 and the Triton 18TX (all three are about the same length...around 18' 8") will run you in the upper $20k's. Fit and finish will be a little nicer on the Ranger and the Triton and the "base model" of the Ranger and Triton will have a few more extras than the base model of a Tracker but warranties will be very comparable. Also, with Tracker, your only engine option is going to be Mercury. With Ranger and Triton, you can choose from Mercury, Yamaha and Evinrude.

Again, don't buy a boat that limits you or keeps you from doing what you want to do, where you want to do it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Come over to the dark side and join bbc (bass boat central). It is the arfcom of fishing. Many of pros and amateur fishermen over there that can help you with the process. It does get overwhelming looking for a new rig to suit your needs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Come over to the dark side and join bbc (bass boat central). It is the arfcom of fishing. Many of pros and amateur fishermen over there that can help you with the process. It does get overwhelming looking for a new rig to suit your needs.
View Quote
I’ll do that right now. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Fishing a large southern lake and fishing a large northern lake are two different animals. A big lake down here in the south barely makes a small lake up north. Plus, the professional bass fishermen you mentioned spend more time on southern lakes. They may only fish on 2-3 northern lakes in a season so the boats they're fishing from has to be better-suited for the types of water they use it on the most. Look at walleye tournament boats. Most of those tournaments take place on northern lakes and most of the participants use deep-V style boats because they're going to encounter bigger (rougher) water more often. Don't get me wrong, lakes down here can get pretty sporty with the right wind but that's more the exception and not the rule.

Like I said before, get a boat that won't limit what you can do. Get a boat that will best fit the type of fishing you want to do but don't overlook the environment in which you'll be doing it.

The Tracker Pro Team 190TX is a solid boat at a great price point (<$25k). One big difference between the Tracker and say a Ranger or Triton aluminum boat is foam. Ranger/Triton aluminum boats (made in the same plant, come down the same assembly line, have the same hull) use more foam and are considerably more stable than a Tracker of comparable size. Granted, where a tracker Pro Team 190 TX will run in the low-to-mid $20k's, the Ranger RT188 and the Triton 18TX (all three are about the same length...around 18' 8") will run you in the upper $20k's. Fit and finish will be a little nicer on the Ranger and the Triton and the "base model" of the Ranger and Triton will have a few more extras than the base model of a Tracker but warranties will be very comparable. Also, with Tracker, your only engine option is going to be Mercury. With Ranger and Triton, you can choose from Mercury, Yamaha and Evinrude.

Again, don't buy a boat that limits you or keeps you from doing what you want to do, where you want to do it.
View Quote
Thanks for the input. I’m going to do more research over the next couple months and see what I can find over the winter.
As you mentioned, the fit and finish on the tracker isn’t in the same class at triton, lund, etc. but I agree it’s probably the best for the money with what I’m looking to use it for/amount of time I’ll be on it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]
@archer8030

Any suggestion on a deep V that would handle larger water better than and mod v style, that also offers large front and rear casting decks in the same price range as the 190TX?
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#10]
You could always look at center console boats. I have an Xpress H20B center console aluminum boat. It has a large front casting deck and the back deck is as big as any bass boat. It's a bay boat so it has a "V" hull but it has a shallow draft. I can float it in less than a foot of water. Plus, it handles rougher water better than a mod-v or a bass boat. If aluminum isn't your thing when it comes to bay boats, look at something like a Bulls Bay.

Lund also makes a "Pro-V Bass" series of boats. The 1875 would be comparable in size (18' 9") to the other mod-V's we discussed but it is a Lund so it still has their V-hull design.

https://www.lundboats.com/boat-series/pro-v-bass/
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sort of, BBC is good for the bass boat side of things, not so much for the deep V boats.  Walleye Central is better for the Deep V crowd.

I have now owned both types.  Have owned both fiberglass and alumnum bass boats, an Aluminum Deep V, and currently have a small aluminum stick steer boat with a Mod V type hull.

Even though I now own a Bass Tracker, I would not reccomend buying a new one. I got a smokin deal on a lightly used, nearly new boat or I would not have bought a Tracker.  My biggest concern is the 40-60 hp Mercury outboards used, they are made in China.  My work experience with Chinese metallurgy has not been good, and I worry about this outboard every time I use it.  So far so good, but it's a 2014 model boat with not many hours on it yet.

I prefer Suzuki outboards.  Check what your local fishing guides are running.  The local guides here on Lake Ouachita mainly run Suzuki motors (One Yamaha and one Honda).  The striper guides on Lake Texoma also primarily run Suzukis.  Whatever you get, I can't can't recommend getting a four stroke strongly enough. Don't even consider anything else.  The new generation of four strokes are dead reliable, and sip gas.  It's amazing how little fuel they use if you have any experience with older outboards.

If you're shopping for a used boat, it's all about condition.  If shopping for a new boat, put a lot of weight on your local dealers.  Some dealers are rip off artists, some are great, most fall somewhere in between.  The problem with Suzuki outboards, and Honda, is the sparse dealer network.  If you have a good local Suzuki dealer you are gold.  Go see what they have.

Deep V vs Mod V aluminum rigs, Pros and Cons.

Deep V is offered with a full windshield, makes cold weather fishing much nicer.  If you plan to spend a lot of time up front bass fishing from the front deck, a Deep V is going to have a MUCH smaller front deck, and the high sides make flipping difficult.

Mod V usually has more deck space, and more storage. Also normally is a "side console" with one windshield, the passenger gets no protection from wind and weather while running.

Trolling motors and electronics are expensive items and important in comparison of used boats.  The GPS enabled trolling motors (Minn Kota iPilot and the Motorguide version) has revolutionized fishing for me.  Any boat I own is going to have this feature.  You're more likely to find it on a Deep V. Fishfinders improve every year, and are amazing.  They are also very expensive.  I prefer Garmin for their superior mapping.  All fishing boats come with a fishfinder, but it's usually a small cheap unit that you'll want to upgrade immediately.

That's probably enough for now, maybe too much.  Let me close by saying that down here in Arkansas, where a lot of aluminum boats are made.  The Deep V is called a "northern" boat, while the mod V is a southern boat.  The vast majority seen down here are Mod V hulls and fiberglass bass boats.  Probably the reverse up in Indiana.

For specific brands, in a Deep V I would look at Lund and Alumacraft.  We rarely see anything else down here.  For a Mod V, first choice would be a War Eagle, with Sea Ark, Xpress, and G3 also in the running.  Some are overpriced because of their name, like Lund and Ranger.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Xpress does make a line of mod-v and even flat bottom aluminum boats but their aluminum bay boats, as I mentioned, are in fact V-hulls.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sort of, BBC is good for the bass boat side of things, not so much for the deep V boats.  Walleye Central is better for the Deep V crowd.

I have now owned both types.  Have owned both fiberglass and alumnum bass boats, an Aluminum Deep V, and currently have a small aluminum stick steer boat with a Mod V type hull.

Even though I now own a Bass Tracker, I would not reccomend buying a new one. I got a smokin deal on a lightly used, nearly new boat or I would not have bought a Tracker.  My biggest concern is the 40-60 hp Mercury outboards used, they are made in China.  My work experience with Chinese metallurgy has not been good, and I worry about this outboard every time I use it.  So far so good, but it's a 2014 model boat with not many hours on it yet.

I prefer Suzuki outboards.  Check what your local fishing guides are running.  The local guides here on Lake Ouachita mainly run Suzuki motors (One Yamaha and one Honda).  The striper guides on Lake Texoma also primarily run Suzukis.  Whatever you get, I can't can't recommend getting a four stroke strongly enough. Don't even consider anything else.  The new generation of four strokes are dead reliable, and sip gas.  It's amazing how little fuel they use if you have any experience with older outboards.

If you're shopping for a used boat, it's all about condition.  If shopping for a new boat, put a lot of weight on your local dealers.  Some dealers are rip off artists, some are great, most fall somewhere in between.  The problem with Suzuki outboards, and Honda, is the sparse dealer network.  If you have a good local Suzuki dealer you are gold.  Go see what they have.

Deep V vs Mod V aluminum rigs, Pros and Cons.

Deep V is offered with a full windshield, makes cold weather fishing much nicer.  If you plan to spend a lot of time up front bass fishing from the front deck, a Deep V is going to have a MUCH smaller front deck, and the high sides make flipping difficult.

Mod V usually has more deck space, and more storage. Also normally is a "side console" with one windshield, the passenger gets no protection from wind and weather while running.

Trolling motors and electronics are expensive items and important in comparison of used boats.  The GPS enabled trolling motors (Minn Kota iPilot and the Motorguide version) has revolutionized fishing for me.  Any boat I own is going to have this feature.  You're more likely to find it on a Deep V. Fishfinders improve every year, and are amazing.  They are also very expensive.  I prefer Garmin for their superior mapping.  All fishing boats come with a fishfinder, but it's usually a small cheap unit that you'll want to upgrade immediately.

That's probably enough for now, maybe too much.  Let me close by saying that down here in Arkansas, where a lot of aluminum boats are made.  The Deep V is called a "northern" boat, while the mod V is a southern boat.  The vast majority seen down here are Mod V hulls and fiberglass bass boats.  Probably the reverse up in Indiana.

For specific brands, in a Deep V I would look at Lund and Alumacraft.  We rarely see anything else down here.  For a Mod V, first choice would be a War Eagle, with Sea Ark, Xpress, and G3 also in the running.  Some are overpriced because of their name, like Lund and Ranger.
View Quote
Of course the $40k'ish boat is the one that looks like the best option. HA!

That Lund Pro-V bass is exactly what I want between deck layout and hull design. I found one locally. Brand new 2016 1875 (yes, 2016) with a 150 Merc. They're asking 31K out the door. The guy I talked to said they have sold quite a few of them after they got this one, but he thinks the bench style seats (Still 3 individual seats) are one of the reasons it hasnt moved. It's also graphite and he said black and red are the biggest sellers. My folks have a place right down the road from where it's at so I may take a drive in the next couple weeks and look at it.

Are there any other manufacturers that offer a similar hull/layout design at a lesser price point? Seems like Lund found the best of both worlds and I cant find anything comparable.

Again, I appreciate the helpful info.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#14]
See what Alumacraft has to offer.  I really like the 17.5 foot Voyageur.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#15]
If your primary fishing methods are standing to cast, you might want to look at bass boats; but if your looking for true multi species v hulls, start with Lunds and crestliners.  
Walleye boats for sale or trade is a great page on facebook; tons of quality boats listed all over the upper midwest.  I recommend lund and crestliner because of their parts availability, value, and resale ability.  just glance at prices on mid 90's lund Pro-V's and you'll see what I mean.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If your primary fishing methods are standing to cast, you might want to look at bass boats; but if your looking for true multi species v hulls, start with Lunds and crestliners.  
Walleye boats for sale or trade is a great page on facebook; tons of quality boats listed all over the upper midwest.  I recommend lund and crestliner because of their parts availability, value, and resale ability.  just glance at prices on mid 90's lund Pro-V's and you'll see what I mean.
View Quote
I joined the Facebook group that you mentioned. Thanks for the tip.

As of now, I’ll be shopping for a Lund 1875 Pro-Bass XS model over the winter.  I really like the pedestal seats and the configuration of the extra seating in general. Even a used one, if I can find it, will be a big chunk of money but this purchase falls in the “buy once cry once” category as far as I’m concerned. I anticipate keeping whatever I end up with for the next 10-15 years so it makes sense to buy what I want/need the first time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As it relates to hull type. Deep V, bass, etc..

It will mostly be used for bass fishing, musky/northern casting, panfishing on IN/MI/WI lakes. I want something stable in the water when 3 or more people are fishing out of it but has the versatility for multi species fishing. My dad has a 17' Smoker Craft V bottom and you can feel every time someone steps to one side or the other. I've fished out of a Lowe with a wider beam/flatter bottom and it's much better mitigating that. Also curious about HP requirements to allow the different hull profiles to be able to get up on plane, how they handle rough water conditions, steering/handling.
Looking for something in the 17'-19' range, livewells, rod lockers, single console.

It's overwhelming boat shopping with all the different options out there. If anyone has experience with a couple different types that could chime in I would really appreciate it. If there is also a "boat buyers guide for dummies" out there somewhere please point me in that direction. I havent come across anything will all that data in one place. Thanks!

View Quote
Look for a 2020 Action Craft. You can find them used in Florida and they are built much better than most other boats. They are designed to be stable, run open water, then fish the flats. I've had mine 15 miles offshore, right kind of day of course.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#18]
OP did you check out any used Starcrafts?
Use to fish out of a Ranger Fisherman, now I have a Starcraft 210. It'll be the last boat I own.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP did you check out any used Starcrafts?
Use to fish out of a Ranger Fisherman, now I have a Starcraft 210. It'll be the last boat I own.
View Quote
I have not but I will add it to the list. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top