Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2021 4:34:06 PM EDT
While not in need of it immediately I will be buying a car dolly for my tow-behind Kia Sportage. I am thinking the car dolly route because it is front wheel drive.

Does anyone have an experience with certain brands? Any recommendations on features? The towing vehicle is a Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA floor plan. I need to verify the tow capacity (Was told it was 7500) but do no believe it has a brake controller built in.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Had a Demco for several years to tow a Honda Civic.

It had hydraulic surge brakes, so (theoretically), no need for a brake controller.

It towed just fine, but was a general PITA to own - Another pair of tires to maintain, took up a lot of extra space in the campsite, added extra steps to the hitchup/unhooking process, and the hydraulic brakes were prone to leaks.

Was real happy to sell it when I got a compact pickup that could be towed 4-wheels-down instead.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking of skipping a brake installed model with how small the SUV is.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Brakes with a break away kit are a requirement in many if not most states.  Most tow dollies you are going to find will have them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 11:59:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Installing a "supplemental braking system" (example here) on your dinghy vehicle is one alternative to having brakes on the tow dolly.

They're very commonly used on vehicles that are towed 4-wheels-down.

Naturally, only two of the four wheels on your dinghy vehicle will provide any actual braking when it's up on a tow dolly - but then again, that's the same number of wheels a dolly equipped with brakes would also provide.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Brakes with a break away kit are a requirement in many if not most states.  Most tow dollies you are going to find will have them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had seen a few with, some without, and some that you can upgrade. Better safe than sorry and just get one that has a set.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Installing a "supplemental braking system" (example here) on your dinghy vehicle is one alternative to having brakes on the tow dolly.

They're very commonly used on vehicles that are towed 4-wheels-down.

Naturally, only two of the four wheels on your dinghy vehicle will provide any actual braking when it's up on a tow dolly - but then again, that's the same number of wheels a dolly equipped with brakes would also provide.
View Quote
I think at this point I need to figure out what the coach will support in terms of a brake set up trailer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top