Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2019 5:56:23 PM EDT
Ok guys yesterday while out setting up trail cams my binos failed me.  They were a $300 pair that I've had for 8yrs.  They no longer focus.  I use them for hunting deer, squirrel, ground hogs and coyotes.  I'll probably send them off to see if they can be repaired.  But optics seem to have much improved over the last 8 yrs.  What's the best pair I can get for $250.  I like the 10x42mm size or something similar.  My two favorite brands are probably Leupold and vortex but I'm open to suggestions.  Must also be waterproof.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The Vortex brand is good..  IMHO the jump from the diamondback to Viper is a HUGE increase in quality.. You may be able to find some used Vipers in your price range..

I have the 8x26 and they are great.. first pair was pushing $400 (i think).. but i got a second pair off ebay for (265)

brian
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree. You can find used vortex vipers right around 300 much improved over the diamondbacks. I have the razors and my wife has vipers, side by side they are very close and the razors were 1000.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#3]
How is the durability of the vipers.  I don't abuse equipment but I use it often.  Reliability is big for me.  Do they seem well built?
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a set of Leupold Mckenzie 10x42s last fall to use when I was in Alaska. They have been great. They are not expensive like $200 but are found on sale pretty regularly for a lot less.  I should mention they are not made in the United States.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#5]
When I was looking, for me, the best bang for the buck as far as glass quality, feel, and performance were the Nikon Monarch 5.

I've had them for 7 years now and still as good as the day I bought them.  They ride in the truck when it's not hunting season and they're on every trip to the stand and every stalk I go on during the season.

Looks like these retail for a touch over the $250 mark...but I'm sure you can grab them on sale at some point at or under that.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe that Nikon are good optics they just never seem to be as bright to my eyes.  Leupold seems to be the brightest followed by mid to high end vortex options
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Steiner is my brand of choice. Military style with ranging.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Just got a set of Vortex Diamondback 12x50’s and couldn’t be happier. Crystal clear and very bright.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Great glass and bullet proof construction for the money. (You can find a xx% off coupon with some googlfu)

I have a pair as a truck set that I don't care what happens to them.  The individual eye focus is great if you wear glasses.  The ranging works relatively well on large targets.

Hensoldt Surpluss/Zeiss 8x30
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was looking, for me, the best bang for the buck as far as glass quality, feel, and performance were the Nikon Monarch 5.

I've had them for 7 years now and still as good as the day I bought them.  They ride in the truck when it's not hunting season and they're on every trip to the stand and every stalk I go on during the season.

Looks like these retail for a touch over the $250 mark...but I'm sure you can grab them on sale at some point at or under that.
View Quote
My experience as well. The Monarch 5 (10x42) I have are really good, especially for $325.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Please please please go to the store and look through them.  Anything more than 8x magnification and it will be hard to hold it steady.  Try to get 50mm objective lenses, it provides a nice field of view (less time trying to find what your looking for) and it also pulls more light in.  Poro prisms (dog legged lens tube) reflect 100% of all the light gathered by the objective lens. Roof prisms (lens tube is straight) loose light. Manufacturers have developed different ways to try to reflect as much light as possible but it’s not 100% and increases the cost to manufacture.

When your looking through the binoculars look look at the field of view edges. Lower quality binos will distort the image around the edges.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Check them out for yourself.  I have Leupolds and Steiners in my work car.  I much prefer the Leupolds, but some that ride with me like the Steiners better.  Also just got Vortex Diamonbacks.  For the price I got them at, they can't be beat.  I know two people with Swarovski ELs, and those things are ridiculous, but not on the same planet as the others I was talking about.

I liked Leupold scopes until I bought a Nightforce.  But I also think Kahles looks better than S&B glass, which many will argue.

You might not feel the same.  Everyone's eyes seem to be different.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#13]
While debating about what I want I ended up sending in my old ones to Bushnell for the life time warranty.  They actually gave me a new pair of 10x42 legend HD camo.  It's what I originally had.  I decided to keep them ended up buying new bibs and jacket from Midway.  Bought their elk fork line they have on sale.  They seem to be pretty good for the price.  Thanks all for the input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top