Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2020 8:15:51 AM EDT
Being one who doesn't want to break the law or step all over a legal ham operator, I ask for you help.

I need a set of hand held radios with some range. I hunt around the house and the wife stays at home. She has medical needs and needs to contact me while I'm in the woods. Cell service is a no go around here.

Doing a little looking I've noticed some radios that have Ham license Freqs but say they have Freqs that don't require a license. But not being a radio buff I have no idea if they can do what I need.

There are times when I'm  mile to 1.5 miles from the house with trees in between. Is there a radio that will reach out far enough so the wife and I can talk? I'd like to keep cost under $200. But can go higher if really required.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

EBR
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#1]
My Baofeng UV5Rs have FRS and GMRS frequencies. I think one of them technically requires a license. But even as a unlicensed person, you are allowed to transmit on any frequency in the case of an emergency.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 9:10:27 AM EDT
[#2]
GMRS is the answer to this problem.

Purchase one $70 (no test) license for the household to be legal. (Technicality, really)

Buy either the baofeng GMRS radio, or have some better (nicer) LMR radios programmed for GMRS channels.

At worst you may need to put in an elevated antenna at your house. But...  I spent last weekend experimenting with GMRS in the thick piney woods of East Texas and was quite surprised at how well 5w handhelds worked.

Cant hurt to try.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah GMRS with a roof mounted antenna high up on a house mast.

Somthing similar to these ought to work.  The higher mounted base antenna helps make up for the lower power of the portable radio on your belt.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

MissingImage

MissingImage

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#4]
you have received good information. GMRS is your choice
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Rugged race radios.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rugged race radios.
View Quote

Rebranded (bespoke) baofeng, preprogrammed with some freqs which are illegal to use - and with programming locked down so the end user (you) can't change it.

Not recommended.  They do have some hard(er) to find accessories though.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rugged race radios.
View Quote

1,000,000 No.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I recently got a GMRS license and radio but haven't played around with it much yet.  The license was granted overnight.  This might be useful to OP: How do I get a GMRS license

I purchased this radio based on the recommendation of others: BTECH GMRS-V1 (BaoFeng).  Upgraded the antenna to this on my own: Nagoya NA-771
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#9]
So far thanks to you all. Good info. Now I. am trying to decide should I go for the Tech license or the GMRS.

One question. Can the wife operate the home base radio under my license?

EBR
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
No, she could not legally transmit on ham frequencies except in the case of an emergency.

Edit to add, she’d be fine on your GMRS license.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#11]
OK so she can't operate the under my license. So what I may do is get her the GMRS license and the Tech license for myself. Some may think she could get the tech license but her cognitive ability, due to medical issue, would not allow her to be successful. She can operate the hand held radios I have if I set them up for her.

Again thanks for the info. And any other info you folks can provide so I can make the best decision would be welcomed.

EBR
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#12]
"She" doesn't need the GMRS license.  Your household does, which covers you, her, kids, parents, grandparents, etc when they're there.  It's a one time $70 fee.

Most people just skip it, frankly.  But you technically need the license if you want to cover the bases.

There is no point to you getting an amateur radio service technician license if all you wish to do is talk on GMRS.  An amateur radio service license does not authorize the holder to transmit on GMRS frequencies.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"She" doesn't need the GMRS license.  Your household does, which covers you, her, kids, parents, grandparents, etc when they're there.  It's a one time $70 fee.

Most people just skip it, frankly.  But you technically need the license if you want to cover the bases.

There is no point to you getting an amateur radio service technician license if all you wish to do is talk on GMRS.  An amateur radio service license does not authorize the holder to transmit on GMRS frequencies.
View Quote

Thank you. That makes it easy for us.

I may still get the tech though if I decide to dabble in the HAM world. I've always been interested in the field.

EBR

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#14]
FWIW:

I became a ham in 2011 tnx to this forum.
I then instituted a house rule that any of the kid who wished to obtain their Drivers License must first pass their Ham Radio Tech license.
In the mean-time I paid for our GMRS just to be legal if I wanted to play over there.
My 2 eldest sons and eldest daughter have all passed their tech. My wife has too.
The eldest daughter wanted to lord over her brothers, so she studied and passed her General ham test.
Wife and eldest sons don't care-little siblings will test one of these days.
All vehicles are ham-equipped, as is our home and barn.
All hams have HTs to use (though we don't tote them around like 'that guy')

that said, Ham Tech is pretty simple to pass.  Wife and daughter studied Sunday-Thursday (same week) and passed like a boss.

more info Here
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, don't discount radios that operate on MURS frequencies. No license required for anyone.
Not many people know about them. The chance of anyone else being on your chosen channel is very low, unlike on FRS/GMRS channels everyone else uses.
You should be able to cover 1.5 mile distance you mentioned if the terrain is flat. If not, GMRS base radio with an external antenna linked with a portable HT radio is your better choice.

You could always buy a set of 5W GMRS radios on Amazon and try them without a license first. I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble. Return them if the range isn't acceptable or you don't like them. Amazon's Prime free returns are awfully convenient.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Got into a discussion about the GMRS frequencies with a fellow ham. I stated that you need a license. He stated that the license was only required if you operated a repeater, you did not need the family license for radio to radio.

I don't know which answer is correct but either way, I don't think you are going to have any problem for someone with medical issues.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#17]
The US GMRS license is issued for a period of 10 years by the FCC. The United States permits use by adult individuals who possess a valid GMRS license, as well as their immediate family members.[a] Immediate relatives of the GMRS system licensee are entitled to communicate among themselves for personal or business[1] purposes, but employees of the licensee who are not family members are not covered by the license. Non-family members must be licensed separately.
View Quote
*wiki
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Another option is setting up a small GMRS repeater at your home and so that you or your wife doesn’t need to be around the base radio when the other is out and about the property or nearby area.  Should be able to set a repeater up for about $3-400.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Another option is setting up a small GMRS repeater at your home and so that you or your wife doesn’t need to be around the base radio when the other is out and about the property or nearby area.  Should be able to set a repeater up for about $3-400.
View Quote

Does that include acquire the repeater?  I'd love to get a repeater, power supply, and duplexer for $400 or less.  

I'd buy at least one, right now - if i could get it already tuned for one of the GMRS repeater channels.

Next step - figuring out if APRS is legal on GMRS freqs or not.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#20]
This is not my ad, but there are lotsa ways to skin the cat

Not sure about APRS on GMRS but think it's good on MURS
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Rebranded (bespoke) baofeng, preprogrammed with some freqs which are illegal to use - and with programming locked down so the end user (you) can't change it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rugged race radios.

and over priced.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#22]
@LTCetme  and the HAM forum.

I took everyone's advice into account and decided to purchase the radio combination that  LTCetme  recommended. I did not purchase the house top antenna yet. I'm going to see how the radios work stand alone. If coms are solid then I'll forgo the roof top antenna. Else I'll get one up in the air.

I'd like to thank the HAM community for helping me with this. It was a nice to go into a technical arena as a complete no nothing and get the help needed.

Thanks to all and I'll update once I have the radios setup and test run.  
Of course I just Might have to come back to "bug" you folks if I run into setup issues.

Now where do you plug this black cord in?

EBR
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Glad the guys were able to help you! Keep in mind that the so called 'Privacy Codes" don't really give you any privacy. Everyone will be able to hear you on any channel you choose. The codes just keep you from being disturbed by others on the same channel/frequency, unless they use the same code. Disable the privacy codes and you'll be able to hear all stations, regardless of the codes they use.

Also, forger about the advertised 35 mile range. It's only possible if each radio is on top of a tall mountain, with nothing in between (Line of sight). Realistic range will be anywhere from 1/4 - 2 miles, depending on terrain.

Come back here once you get hooked and decide to get a ham license. HF bands are a lot of fun. Just imagine talking to someone in Europe or Africa, with just a radio and antenna. No other man-made infrastructure required.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Any portable radio is a line-of-sight radio.  $5k commercial top-of-the-line gear, or a cheap blister-pack GMRS pair... both line-of-sight.  
The power of amateur/business/public-safety stuff comes from the infrastructure behind it ($10k radios/equipment on mountains).

I'd go GMRS.  Get a couple decent GMRS radios.  Chinese ham radios are not decent GMRS radios.
I'd also set up a "base station" radio at the house.  Decent antenna on roof/chimney/attic, to a mobile radio + power supply inside.  You're not necessarily using this for the power, but for a better receiver/rf front-end and antenna with some elevation.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@LTCetme  and the HAM forum.

I took everyone's advice into account and decided to purchase the radio combination that  LTCetme  recommended. I did not purchase the house top antenna yet. I'm going to see how the radios work stand alone. If coms are solid then I'll forgo the roof top antenna. Else I'll get one up in the air.

I'd like to thank the HAM community for helping me with this. It was a nice to go into a technical arena as a complete no nothing and get the help needed.

Thanks to all and I'll update once I have the radios setup and test run.  
Of course I just Might have to come back to "bug" you folks if I run into setup issues.

Now where do you plug this black cord in?

EBR
View Quote

You will still want to upgrade the antennas, even if it isn’t a big roof mount.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I just noticed they sold that mobile in a bundle.  Two portables and a mobile for $209. If you want to save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just noticed they sold that mobile in a bundle.  Two portables and a mobile for $209. If you want to save a few bucks.
View Quote

LTC,

I went with your original suggestion. Radios on the way. I saw the package deal but figured you were suggesting a better radio. No problem, the price difference is very small. Also the radios are charged via usb cable which I have in the house and truck. I like that option.

EBR
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#28]
GMRS

$75 and it covers your entire family with no hassle. Go to eBay, grab a couple of nice old Bendix King EPU hand helds and program them through the keypad. You will get several miles range and all day battery life with a world class reciever.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Ok for the after use/test report.

Have been using the radios for about 3 weeks now.

Ease of use: The wife can operate both the base and portables. She is cognitively  challenged so if she can do it most anybody can.  Both base and portables are very easy to setup.

Performance: Very good for this area. Hilly and heavy woods. With base unit in house front window and antenna sitting next to it we have communicated with clarity from just over a mile. The areas where com was limited would be fixed by putting the antenna on top of the house.  I have communicated with other base units from over 7 miles in the only tree sparse direction.

The only thing that I had to fix was the NOAA alerts jumping on the air, I hadn't disabled it on one of the portables. I got a Deer on top of the hill and the help that was coming kept getting interrupted by NOAA. We worked through it and I fixed the radio as soon as we got together.

So all in all I'm very pleased with the radio setup.

I got my GMRS license.

Again thanks to this HAM community for the help. The radios allowed me to go into the field with peace of mind that the wife could get me if needed.

EBR
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Great News!
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Great to hear!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top