Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2020 1:51:22 AM EDT
I'm looking for a lightweight, relatively compact solar set up that I can toss in a backpack if needed. Folding or rolling solar panel, charge controller, and power pack. Want to be able to recharge  iPhone, iPad, Garmin Inreach, handheld VHF, 2 m ham radio, AA eneloops.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#3]
https://masondixontactical.wordpress.com/2019/04/03/making-the-lightning-for-your-force-multipliers/

Here’s an article on the subject.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I use Anker 21w (discontinued?) and Big Blue 28w panels.

Both work great but the edge goes to the Big Blue for the built in ammeter and slightly higher wattage that better accounts for partial cloud cover.

I use them mostly to charge up Anker 13000 battery packs and AA Eneloops in either Goal Zero or Littokala chargers. I have directly plugged in phones and other devices to the solar panels though when more convenient and they work fine that way as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]
After messing around with my 7 watt and 21 watt panels, I wouldn't go any less than 28 watts personally.   Others have suggested some good brands (Ravpower, Anker, Bigblue are typically g2g, make sure you look up reviews and videos on youtube).  No separate charge controller necessary for these types.  Combine with a good quality external USB power bank and that'll handle the majority of people's needs.

I typically use...
Bigblue 28w panel
Anker USB External Battery (for USB powered devices)
Goal Zero Guide 10+ (to charge AA/AAA)
Olight Universal Magnetic USB charger  (to charge 18650, 10440, 16340 batteries)

Not ultralight by any means, but robust, and still fits in my ~21L pack with all my other stuff.  If you're looking for minimalist you can certainly still use solar but you'll have to manage your expectations. This is not something that's very practical to sling over your pack and walk with like the advertisements.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Aside from some very good comments above, I would suggest considering how well your solar devices will withstand being soaked in rain.  Most will not.  Be warned.  Unless the Mfr specifically states so, assume NOTHING.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That's a very good deal. Picked one up, will see how it compares to the BigBlue 28
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thx for the input
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's a very good deal. Picked one up, will see how it compares to the BigBlue 28
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tried to buy this two times this AM.  No joy.  Completed order, and the little spinner thing that indicates that the order is processing kept on spinning.  No e-mail confirmation of either order, so I assume the attempts were a bust.

Sent them an e-mail, and called twice.  No response yet.

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#10]
ETA: They suggested I use anther browser, and the order seemed to process OK.  TOP40 code still good as of this writing.  In the event the first code expires, use code Cart20.

ETA 2:  Unit arrived today.  Has 3 USB type A outputs, each of a nominal 5V/2.1A.  Has 4 x 1/4" id grommets, one in each corner.  Comes with 1 x 24" and 1 x 8" USB "A" Male to USB "Micro" Male cables, and 4  small carabiners.  No pouch for the cables.  Add your desired cable(s).

So far, so good.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 6:20:36 AM EDT
[#11]
The RAVPower Folding 28W arrived.  

Looks really nice as far as build quality goes, it feels better constructed than the BigBlue 28w and is slightly longer when folded.  No pocket (I don't mind) but also no rubber USB gaskets so one would need to be vigilant regarding accidentally exposing that area to rain or moisture.   Not a huge deal, knew that from the pictures.

Unfortunately performance was underwhelming. It claims to have a higher total output amperage than the Bigblue, but it consistently came short on my meter.  Around 1400 on a clear day in direct sun the Bigblue was charging my USB battery bank at 1.8 amps, the Ravpower at 1.3, which was even slightly below what my 21 watt panel was getting. Similar difference when charging an iphone.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a lightweight, relatively compact solar set up that I can toss in a backpack if needed. Folding or rolling solar panel, charge controller, and power pack. Want to be able to recharge  iPhone, iPad, Garmin Inreach, handheld VHF, 2 m ham radio, AA eneloops.
View Quote

I'm sure a 28W setup is good, but I simply couldn't imagine carrying too large of a setup, so you need to decide if this is for a backpack or a rolling cart.  I have settled on Suntactics (I have their 5W, now-discontinued 8W, and the larger 14W) for solar chargers.  The largest I would go for weight and size is the 8W charger, but I did have a ton of success with the 5W charger, used mostly just for my phone.  Only the 14W charger will charge an iPad-sized device.  

For me, a large setup just isn't feasible for a backpack if you're actually trekking on foot.  For hiking a couple miles to set up a base camp, sitting at home or for the truck?  Sure, crank up the wattage, weight, and size...no issues.  You really just need to consider 5V USB chargeable devices or a small AA/AAA USB battery charger if you're actually looking at backpacking with a solar charger and match your electronics.

I used my 5W charger on a longer, no-resupply trek last year on the AT.  I used it a few times, I typically hike early in the AM and hit my planned distance in the early to mid afternoon.  I was able to get the charger setup, charging my phone for a couple hours those days when the sun was mostly out and it kept my phone topped off quite well.  So, be realistic in your needs as well...You likely only need one electronic device when hiking during the day (GPS and/or phone), but you can also manage your usage to minimize needless power loss.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Long ago, I bought two Goal Zero Nomad 7 fold-up panels and two of their 4 X AA battery packs/power units.  They also take 4 X AAA, with adaptors.  I had to buy a few USB cables to optimize my charging alternatives, including my phone.  Newer units seem to have more built-in cabling alternatives.

Just dug them out the other day, because I'm on a "re-charge all the batteries" kick, and both panels performed as advertised.  Newer ones seem to be made with greater attention to water-resistance than mine.  I have come to use clear plastic waterproof aloksaks to protect the items from rain.  I'm sure the plastic degrades performance somewhat, but in the absence of a better alternative, that's my current practice.

As Rock6 has mentioned, one will certainly need to start out with fully-charged batts in all their devices, and manage them carefully.  A long trip in the Pacific NW, under heavy cloud cover, or a lengthy trip in a triple-canopy forest would likely pose severe problems for some users.  Even toting the solar panel in such way as it  is not directly exposed to sunlight degraded the charging performance considerably.  If planning on using these small solar panels, rig up a way to that you can comfortably walk with a panel exposed to direct sunlight.  Most of them have sewn-in/attached loops for just that purpose.  Rig 'em up with some lightweight plastic 'biners, and away you go.

This where where flashlights having very dim power-saving light modes can prove to be very handy.

There might be another alternative: the Biolite stove, which burns twigs and so forth, and generates electricity as a by-product.  The links below are from a very intelligent user, who used one and who took one apart to see what made it tick.  WARNING:  Foul lingo used; NSFW, and NS for kids.  BE SURE TO WATCH BOTH LINKED VIDS!  Secret fix in second vid.

Vid 1:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYYw1cYS8o8

Vid 2:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXtb5bE54CY

Not for everyone, but might be useful for some.

Submitted for consideration.

@ROCK6

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I've used anker, goal zero and instapark. Anker are my favorite but they don't make them anymore.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 1:01:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've used anker, goal zero and instapark. Anker are my favorite but they don't make them anymore.
View Quote

If you like the Anker, you'll probably like the Big Blue 28w.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Op, I just seen on Amazon the Ravpower 21w panel had a 7 buck off coupon making the panel like 38 bucks. That's a decent price if your interested. Ravpower is known to be a decent brand.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There might be another alternative: the Biolite stove, which burns twigs and so forth, and generates electricity as a by-product.  The links below are from a very intelligent user, who used one and who took one apart to see what made it tick.  WARNING:  Foul lingo used; NSFW, and NS for kids.  BE SURE TO WATCH BOTH LINKED VIDS!  Secret fix in second vid.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good vids.  I really like the concept, but the execution isn't the best on the Biolite...I think there's a lot of potential there, especially with those recommendations.

Quoted:
If you like the Anker, you'll probably like the Big Blue 28w.

A couple things to consider isn't just the wattage of the panel; check the actual output rates (and if you can measure them on sunny and partially sunny days).  I do like that the better ones (like the Big Blue) have the auto-restart function.  Some phones (notably iPhones) will shut down if they input power drops temporarily (like cloud cover), and will fail to charge.  The auto-restart helps keep the phone charging.  The Suntactics are IPX7 rated and for backpacking I wouldn't opt for much less unless you're spending most of your time n a hot, desert climate.  Additionally, their circuits are sealed in silicone for more serious water resistance.  

I found you need the highest quality charging cord and have it long enough to get your device out of the direct sun/heat, but not so long as to increase resistance.  

The only time I used one of the charges attached to my pack was a long day hike around the Arches in Utah.  That method doesn't work well under a tree canopy of course and if you're hiking doesn't get your panel in direct contact of the sun.  When it works, it's great, I just haven't found it that ideal for me most of the time.  For AT hiking, it just doesn't work, which is why I maximize most of my trail time in the morning and early afternoon and take advantage of about 2-4 hours of afternoon sun (if available) when I setup camp.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Good vids.  I really like the concept, but the execution isn't the best on the Biolite...I think there's a lot of potential there, especially with those recommendations.

A couple things to consider isn't just the wattage of the panel; check the actual output rates (and if you can measure them on sunny and partially sunny days).  I do like that the better ones (like the Big Blue) have the auto-restart function.  Some phones (notably iPhones) will shut down if they input power drops temporarily (like cloud cover), and will fail to charge.  The auto-restart helps keep the phone charging.  The Suntactics are IPX7 rated and for backpacking I wouldn't opt for much less unless you're spending most of your time n a hot, desert climate.  Additionally, their circuits are sealed in silicone for more serious water resistance.  

I found you need the highest quality charging cord and have it long enough to get your device out of the direct sun/heat, but not so long as to increase resistance.  

The only time I used one of the charges attached to my pack was a long day hike around the Arches in Utah.  That method doesn't work well under a tree canopy of course and if you're hiking doesn't get your panel in direct contact of the sun.  When it works, it's great, I just haven't found it that ideal for me most of the time.  For AT hiking, it just doesn't work, which is why I maximize most of my trail time in the morning and early afternoon and take advantage of about 2-4 hours of afternoon sun (if available) when I setup camp.

ROCK6
View Quote

Right, I've measured the Big Blue 28w (2 USB/Ammeter version) at right around 4A output in full sun. That's actual output of around 20W (4A X 5V). I don't know this for sure but I think that there is a bit of extra wattage built in for partial shading situations so the panel can stay closer to full output, but output is limited to 4A total in full sun even.

My Anker 21w will output 2A through one USB and maybe 1A through another USB at the same time, but my Drok USB Ammeter shows output fluctuates on both devices when two are plugged in under full sun.

My Goal Zero Nomad 7 panel will charge 4AA Eneloops using the Guide 10 Plus in about 7 hours. Haven't tried other devices on that one.

I did just pick up a TalentCell 24w panel, mostly because it has 12v (15v, 1.1A -ish) output. I haven't tested it on either 12v or 5v but I want to see how it compares when I get around to it.

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 12:20:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm sure a 28W setup is good, but I simply couldn't imagine carrying too large of a setup, so you need to decide if this is for a backpack or a rolling cart.  I have settled on Suntactics (I have their 5W, now-discontinued 8W, and the larger 14W) for solar chargers.  The largest I would go for weight and size is the 8W charger, but I did have a ton of success with the 5W charger, used mostly just for my phone.  Only the 14W charger will charge an iPad-sized device.  

For me, a large setup just isn't feasible for a backpack if you're actually trekking on foot.  For hiking a couple miles to set up a base camp, sitting at home or for the truck?  Sure, crank up the wattage, weight, and size...no issues.  You really just need to consider 5V USB chargeable devices or a small AA/AAA USB battery charger if you're actually looking at backpacking with a solar charger and match your electronics.

I used my 5W charger on a longer, no-resupply trek last year on the AT.  I used it a few times, I typically hike early in the AM and hit my planned distance in the early to mid afternoon.  I was able to get the charger setup, charging my phone for a couple hours those days when the sun was mostly out and it kept my phone topped off quite well.  So, be realistic in your needs as well...You likely only need one electronic device when hiking during the day (GPS and/or phone), but you can also manage your usage to minimize needless power loss.

ROCK6

View Quote
To clarify.
I'm not looking to charge all those devices simultaneously,  or do I carry them all everywhere Ingo.
Just listing my handheld electronics I have and use at various times
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:19:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
To clarify.
I'm not looking to charge all those devices simultaneously,  or do I carry them all everywhere Ingo.
View Quote

Mostly I just use mine to charge a battery bank so I'll have it to charge other things at my leisure, but after some experiences I became adamant that I wanted to have a decent charge rate even in less than ideal conditions.  At ~21 ounces the big blue isn't ultralight by any means, but it still stows small enough for the backpack.  There are certainly lighter options (Rock6 is a wealth of knowledge and experience), but I've gone light enough in other areas that I believe it to be worth the weight for my purposes.

Though, to be fair, I could probably stand to lose a good 10-15 pounds so I'm sure that has a bigger effect on the miles I can do
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
To clarify.
View Quote

Like @Burncycle, I also start the trip with a full battery bank (Anker 10K mAh, smallest and lightest I could find with that capacity).  My smallest 5W charger only has one USB port the other two larger ones have two ports.  I just know with the 8W charger, fully sun still requires a few hours if my phone is below 30%.  My only caution as to use a spare set of batteries to rotate, that way you can charger batteries used during the day.  When I used the larger chargers in Utah, we had one port just to rotate phones and another to charger batteries used for other devices (we had a base camp and did day hikes).

Biggest take away is managing your devices. Limiting simultaneous (or un-needed) applications.  I usually use a GPS map app and turn off WiFi and go into plane mode to limit the mobile tower pings (yes, the GPS works when your cell signal is off).  I close all other apps and limit screen brightness unless I need the fidelity for the topo-map.  I used my phone as a GPS periodically, turned on the cell (with enough signal) to check the weather radar a couple times, checked email and texts a couple times, and took a dozen pictures or so with the camera phone.  I would only burn 10-15% of my battery throughout the trek of about 8-10 hours on the trail (including the break times).  The last trip, I said I used the smaller 5W solar charger and it would take about an hour or so in full sun to top off my phone.  The days it was really overcast, I would just use my battery charger.  After 7 days, I still had about 80% on my battery charger and I don't think my phone ever dropped below 80%.  I'll caveat that it was a newer phone, so battery life does play a role.

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top