Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2018 1:00:36 AM EDT
I am trying to find a good gas log splitter - any suggestion?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Farm and fleet
Farm king
Tractor supply
Craigslist
Facebook
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Lowe's
Northern Tool
Local auctions
Local folks moving, (how we picked ours up for $350 and scored a trailer load of firewood).

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Horizontal and vertical or just horizontal?  Vertical is easier to use!

How much will you be using it?  Display fireplace once a month or primary heat source for an old drafty home?

What dollar range are you looking to spend?  
$0.-$500.  --  $500.-$1000.  --  $1000.-$2000.

If you have a low dollar range, search and search and search some more until you find one in that range.

Are you able to repair engines and hydraulics?  You may find one that needs repair real cheap.

Looking for new low dollar unit?  Just keep searching.

Unlimited budget?  Why even ask?

I suggest hearth.com for great information on heating with wood.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#5]
In my area, Home Depot is selling a Champion splitter that looks pretty well made.

If I had a wood splitter, I'd convert it to propane and never have bad fuel. Since I don't burn much wood, I split by hand.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#6]
What kind of wood are you splitting?  I just used a 22ton to split a cord of oak and it just barely handled some of the older stuff.  Get the biggest, baddest one you can afford.  You can not hand split oak.  It will laugh in your face.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
In my area I generally use Home Depot first before Lowes.

When I decided to get one I was disappointed with the stuff HD had.

Picked up a Dirty Hands brand from Lowes and have been very happy with it. Only brand I saw that had a good Kohler engine.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm looking in the $1000 range. I probably can't do much more than that.

I will be splitting oak mostly...lots and lots of oak. I have about 13 trees remaining that overhang/are too close to my house that need to go.

I have already cut down 5 trees and hand splitting those logs was enough to convince me that I need a better way.

I'm looking at Lowes, but I don't want to spend all that money to get something that will only last a year or two.i have two wood stoves and a fireplace to feed
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of wood are you splitting?  I just used a 22ton to split a cord of oak and it just barely handled some of the older stuff.  Get the biggest, baddest one you can afford.  You can not hand split oak.  It will laugh in your face.
View Quote
I've had no issues splitting oak.  Hickory is tough to split but oak splits pretty easily.  Best time to split is either in freezing weather, or after you have let it weather for a few months.   Even hickory splits pretty easily in cold weather....cold weather below freezing.  Splitting in the morning after a night of low 20s or even teens is perfect.

The wood I'm burning right now is all red oak, a little white oak, some hickory, and a small amount of maple.  All split by hand with no issues.  Well, the hickory was cut and allowed to dry for awhile and then I split it by hand.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm looking in the $1000 range. I probably can't do much more than that.

I will be splitting oak mostly...lots and lots of oak. I have about 13 trees remaining that overhang/are too close to my house that need to go.

I have already cut down 5 trees and hand splitting those logs was enough to convince me that I need a better way.

I'm looking at Lowes, but I don't want to spend all that money to get something that will only last a year or two.i have two wood stoves and a fireplace to feed
View Quote
I'd check facebook marketplace or craigslist.  Lots of reasonably priced splitters on there.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an old splitter that was gifted to me by a neighbor that I helped make firewood for years. I actually use it for about 2 days a year and it sits the rest of the year. If I didn't have it I would rent one for a weekend when you are ready to split the wood you have piled up and get some help to get it done if necessary.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Have the 16# Monster Maul my Dad bought in the 70s. Only split 2 cords or so a year these days.
And get my sons to do most of it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:19:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Going on about year 10 or 11 on one of the red ones from Lowes that has the Honda engine. Was about $1,100. IIRC. Did it on a six month same as cash deal back when I financed stuff.

I always use treated gas and when we are done for more than a day, I use the fuel shutoff to kill the engine. Other than having to get a tube put in one of the tires, it's worked flawlessly. We don't cut a lot of firewood, but it splits a few cords every year.
View Quote
Same here, I did the same thing about a decade ago.  Mine is a Troy Bilt with a Honda engine.  I keep it covered and change the oil every year.  I try not to let it sit for more than a few months without running it.  We heat with wood for most of the winter so it gets a few work outs every season.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:42:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a DR electric.  My neighbor had a gas one and really liked it.  I was impressed with how fast it split wood.  I don't care much for small gas motors.  I ran out of time to split my pile of firewood before winter set in.  With the DR I can split in the garage.  We have a little Spruce, but mostly split Birch.  The DR is pretty fast.  I really like mine.  Opt. table is required!
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In my area, Home Depot is selling a Champion splitter that looks pretty well made.

If I had a wood splitter, I'd convert it to propane and never have bad fuel.
View Quote
Does any company already make a propane-powered wood splitter? If so, I'd like to get one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Does any company already make a propane-powered wood splitter? If so, I'd like to get one.
View Quote
Look into conversion kits for your existing engine.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. $200 from US Carburetion. Great company and they used to do sales. I have their Motor Snorkel kit on a generator and it's been great.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Wont be in your budget new, but look for a used super split.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The thing new people always forget is that you are cutting and splitting wood now for NEXT YEAR'S fires at the earliest.

I can't tell you how many people have complained that their firewood "smoked a lot and no heat." When you ask "How long ago did you cut it?" The answer is always "a few months ago."

Cut it, split it, stack it and let it dry for AT LEAST a year, preferably several. Put it up off the ground on pallets and COVERED. The stacks you see sitting out with snow on them won't burn worth a crap compared to that under sheds.

So this is truly not an "immediate gratification" deal- you really have to plan ahead with firewood.
View Quote
We heat almost 100% with wood, have for years. I am fortunate enough to have enough land to heat my house for my lifetime, just from my own timber.  Green wood will usually become seasoned after about 6 months, doesn't take years necessarily.  Dry is a loaded term, keep the rain of it and it will be dry, you just don't want green.  My wood shed/pole barn holds about two years worth of firewood depending on the severity of the winter, so just by keeping it full I am about two years ahead.  I try to cut dead wood as much as possible, dead leaning, dead standing, and even dead on the ground if it hasn't started to rot so in most cases much of the wood I am hauling and splitting is mostly seasoned, just needs to dry a bit.  I burn some soft wood as well, as long as its seasoned and dry I don't have any issues, but then again I clean my woodstove and chimney every spring because its my primary source of heat.  I pay my heating bill with sweat equity, me, myself, and I.  Oh the wife helps to!  

Been a heck of a winter so far:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:33:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Talked to a woodstove shop about glass wood stove doors.  We had a beautiful etching on our old stove and was trying to find something nice on our new stove; no luck, so have a plain glass door.  She said they replace a lot of glass doors because folks cut their wood just a bit too long and then try to force the door closed...crack.

I usually have a measuring stick marked at 16" and mark my log with a logging crayon using what ever color shows up best, I keep white, red, orange, and yellow on hand.  My stove will take 18", but sometimes my 16" mark grows to a 17"+ piece of firewood.  If I don't have a stick I just run a tape measure (part of my cutting kit) and mark every 16".

I've been meaning to mark my splitter at 17" or so to be sure the wood will fit in the stove as a final check.  For now I just keep a tape handy and measure any piece that looks long.  Every now and then I find one that has grown since being cut.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:40:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Great information, however the question is about a woodsplitter.

Any suggestions there may assist the OP.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Going on about year 10 or 11 on one of the red ones from Lowes that has the Honda engine. Was about $1,100. IIRC. Did it on a six month same as cash deal back when I financed stuff.

I always use treated gas and when we are done for more than a day, I use the fuel shutoff to kill the engine. Other than having to get a tube put in one of the tires, it's worked flawlessly. We don't cut a lot of firewood, but it splits a few cords every year.
Same here, I did the same thing about a decade ago.  Mine is a Troy Bilt with a Honda engine.  I keep it covered and change the oil every year.  I try not to let it sit for more than a few months without running it.  We heat with wood for most of the winter so it gets a few work outs every season.
Maybe another picture will help

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Boy that Rancher and splitter used to look so shiny when they were new!

Just for the heck of it I grabbed a link, and I didn't think I paid much over 1K for it, but apparently they have gone up in price...  Not only that they don't have a Honda engine on them anymore...  Probably doesn't really matter because most of the small engine stuff on things like this all come from the same parts factory in China.  Coming in at 2K before taxes is well above OP budget.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-33-Ton-Gas-Log-Splitter/1000210285

Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Have the 16# Monster Maul my Dad bought in the 70s. Only split 2 cords or so a year these days.
And get my sons to do most of it.
View Quote
Still got one I bought about the same time. Good exercise, and cheap. It will split anything but gum.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a 5 ton electric that does 90 percent of what I need.  Maybe once a year I rent a bigger one.  Now I am very selective on the wood I harvest.  Mostly standing dead wood on my land.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Does op have a tractor or skid steer?

You can buy a 3 point or skidsteer mount one cheaper since there is no $1000 engine on it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:09:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have a 5 ton electric that does 90 percent of what I need.  Maybe once a year I rent a bigger one.  Now I am very selective on the wood I harvest.  Mostly standing dead wood on my land.
View Quote
Around here, rental goes for about $300. to $350. per day.  
After 6 years you have paid for a decent splitter.

However, with renting them you have no storage issues to concern yourself about.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:10:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You can buy a 3 point or skidsteer mount one cheaper since there is no $1000 engine on it.
View Quote
$1,000.00 Engine?!?!

Wow what engines are you running?

Bill
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:18:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I recently picked up the Tractor Supply brand - Country Line 25 ton, splits both up/down and sideways.  $999 + I got the extended warranty for like $229 for 4 years that covers most everything.   It has a Kohler gas engine.  Had good reviews online.

I was prepared to be underwhelmed but have been VERY impressed and I'm definitely not easily impressed.

This thing starts smoothly, runs great, sips the gas, and it goes through big oak logs like butter.  I mean it doesn't even slow down.

The big pieces I used it up and down, the smaller ones I do standing up left/right.  The design has been well thought out.  It has a little plastic tube built on to hold the manual.  It has an easy flip up or down mechanism.  It has a cool retractable arm that locks in place nicely.  1 person can move it, where the 30 ton just was built a lot heavier and I'm not sure I could move it alone easily.

I really have been impressed.  I gave that one to my FIL and he's run it also.  I'll get me another of the same.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:40:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
$1,000.00 Engine?!?!

Bill
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1,000.00 Engine?!?!

Bill
Oops, extra zero. My bad.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Around here, rental goes for about $300. to $350. per day.  Bill
View Quote
Dang!

That's what I gave for my used 22 ton splitter, it's not pretty but it gets the job done.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dang!

That's what I gave for my used 22 ton splitter, it's not pretty but it gets the job done.

Semper Fi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around here, rental goes for about $300. to $350. per day.  Bill
Dang!

Semper Fi
Nice deal.  I would buy an ugly as hell splitter without hesitation as long as it works!

Hell, I'd buy it even if it was dead!  I could rebuild any part of it.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#37]
$300 to 350 per day to rent a splitter seems high, are you sure that is correct?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 1:38:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
$300 to 350 per day to rent a splitter seems high, are you sure that is correct?
View Quote
No kidding!  I would rent mine out for that and provide an operator...

-Really I would, even at a 10 hour day that's $35 per hour!  Gas included at that rate!  
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#39]
I picked up a 25 ton splitter at Tractor Supply for $799+tax on sale late Summer 2017. It split several cords of pine, aspen and oak with no drama.

I'm burning that wood now, as here in the very dry Colorado high country, wood cures quickly.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I rented one after Hurricane Irene (One year after before Sandy).

My memory may not be accurate but that was the price that came to mind.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#41]
50.00 gets 24 hours in Massachusetts....YMMV
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Jesus - this sounds like us here in NM.  Have the 27 ton Troy Built.  We split aprox. 5 - 10 cords yearly.  Some of the best money we ever spent given that splitting by hand is (cough, cough) hard work.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I recently picked up the Tractor Supply brand - Country Line 25 ton, splits both up/down and sideways.  $999 + I got the extended warranty for like $229 for 4 years that covers most everything.   It has a Kohler gas engine.  Had good reviews online.

I was prepared to be underwhelmed but have been VERY impressed and I'm definitely not easily impressed.

This thing starts smoothly, runs great, sips the gas, and it goes through big oak logs like butter.  I mean it doesn't even slow down.

The big pieces I used it up and down, the smaller ones I do standing up left/right.  The design has been well thought out.  It has a little plastic tube built on to hold the manual.  It has an easy flip up or down mechanism.  It has a cool retractable arm that locks in place nicely.  1 person can move it, where the 30 ton just was built a lot heavier and I'm not sure I could move it alone easily.

I really have been impressed.  I gave that one to my FIL and he's run it also.  I'll get me another of the same.
View Quote
Sounds like TSC improved on the Huskee/Speeco version of their 22 ton splitter; which was pretty much the gold standard for the best splitter for it's price.

I've had my Huskee/Speeco 22 ton for  +4 years now, paid $500 for it at the same auction where I got my house, land and tractor.  It's split everything I've been able to throw at it:  Hickory (one of the worst), Sweet Gum, Black Gum, White and Red Oak, Poplar (easy), Hackberry, Black Cherry and Pine (super easy).

As Lowdown said, you need to be thinking ahead for burning firewood cleanly and efficiently for home heat; sometimes years ahead.  The firewood I'm processing now won't be needed until some time in 2022 or 2023.  That's good because most of it is White Oak and Hickory, firewood notorious for taking up to +3 years to dry and season well.  People who burn wet wood suck; don't burn wet wood.

Pics of my Huskee/Speeco splitter that's been modifed to increase the height of the splitter wedge (and sharpen the edge) and increase the size of the anvil:

Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I would personally hold out for a Honda engine and as much tonnage as you can afford.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Talked to a woodstove shop about glass wood stove doors.  We had a beautiful etching on our old stove and was trying to find something nice on our new stove; no luck, so have a plain glass door.

She said they replace a lot of glass doors because folks cut their wood just a bit too long and then try to force the door closed...crack.

I usually have a measuring stick marked at 16" and mark my log with a logging crayon.
View Quote
My stove came with plain glass and I had a guy that does sandblasting art free rein. Been using it for close to 30 yrs now / never was stupid enough to 'force' door shut on wood that was too long.

I have a 4' stick marked at 16" and use the crayon too -> works great!

Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Sounds like TSC improved on the Huskee/Speeco version of their 22 ton splitter; which was pretty much the gold standard for the best splitter for it's price.

I've had my Huskee/Speeco 22 ton for  +4 years now, paid $500 for it at the same auction where I got my house, land and tractor.  It's split everything I've been able to throw at it:  Hickory (one of the worst), Sweet Gum, Black Gum, White and Red Oak, Poplar (easy), Hackberry, Black Cherry and Pine (super easy).

As Lowdown said, you need to be thinking ahead for burning firewood cleanly and efficiently for home heat; sometimes years ahead.  The firewood I'm processing now won't be needed until some time in 2022 or 2023.  That's good because most of it is White Oak and Hickory, firewood notorious for taking up to +3 years to dry and season well.  People who burn wet wood suck; don't burn wet wood.

Pics of my Huskee/Speeco splitter that's been modifed to increase the height of the splitter wedge (and sharpen the edge) and increase the size of the anvil:

https://i.imgur.com/qqlNWaq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YPZghGH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jf9ANe4.jpg
View Quote
Well crap I jinxed myself!!!

Ethical self-disclosure requires me to tell you that I finally found two pieces of wood that my modified Huskee/Speeco 22 ton splitter could not split!

Both were 2'x4' or so sized rounds that were cut on either side of a crotch.  I was able to finally split one of them after noodling (cutting against the grain with a chainsaw) right down the crotch about 6".  I haven't bothered with the other since I can't lift nor easily move it without my son.

Worse, the 2nd crotch severely bent my wedge base plate.  See the wedge base plate in the last pic above and how flat it is?  It now has a +1/2" gap between the bottom of the plate and the splitter beam.   After the season is over, I'll have to take it to a welding or machine shop with a +50 ton press and bend it back straight again.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top