Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2020 7:10:19 PM EDT
Looking to head out to the desert for some recreational shooting, but need a good wind resistant and durable canopy, something in the 8x8 or 5x5 size range, my budget is no more than $200. I've seen some of the EZ up brands and many chinese amazon ones, just need something that will resist falling apart in the desert winds.

Anyone have any good recommendations, what brands, or what to avoid?

Link Posted: 8/2/2020 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used one of these for many years on rafting and camping trips, it's bomber, and it works well in the wind. Once I had such heavy winds hit that it lifted up the canopy and all the poles came out (I was away from camp on a raft when it happened) but when I got back to camp the canopy had just fallen right on top of the things it was covering in the first place. That was the only instance I can remember when it has had a serious issue in the wind.

https://www.msrgear.com/tents/minimalist-shelters-and-wings/rendezvous-sun-shield-120-and-200-shelters/rendezvous-wings.html

ETA: Fixed bad link
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have used one of these for many years on rafting and camping trips, it's bomber, and it works well in the wind. Once I had such heavy winds hit that it lifted up the canopy and all the poles came out (I was away from camp on a raft when it happened) but when I got back to camp the canopy had just fallen right on top of the things it was covering in the first place. That was the only instance I can remember when it has had a serious issue in the wind.

https://www.msrgear.com/tents/minimalist-shelters-and-wings/rendezvous-sun-shield-120-and-200-shelters/rendezvous-wings.html

ETA: Fixed bad link
View Quote

It looks like an interesting setup.   But honest question:  what makes it better/more stable than a couple of tent poles, a tarp, some parachute cord, and some tent stakes?     I have been looking for a canopy that is more wind tolerant than the standard 10x10 freestanding canopy as I have lost a couple to strong gusts of wind that hit unexpectedly.   Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#3]
This post got me thinking so I went out to the garage, gathered up a tarp, four extendable tent poles, some stakes, and some parachute cord and this is what I came up with:

It took me two tries to get it to stand up while putting it up but it is remarkably stable and only took a few minutes to throw together.   I strongly suspect that there are some people here asking "what's the big deal?" right now but I just don't have any experience with something like this.   I ran the hose on it for a few minutes to see if water accumulated anywhere and it repelled water pretty well.   I will leave it up for a day or two to see how it does.   We are supposed to be getting some rain over the next few days.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Definitely interested to see the suggestions as the wind here eats up ezups pretty regularly. Have a friend that goes to burning man regularly and she made her own with heavy duty metal and roof material but it is not small or light by any means.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It looks like an interesting setup.   But honest question:  what makes it better/more stable than a couple of tent poles, a tarp, some parachute cord, and some tent stakes?     I have been looking for a canopy that is more wind tolerant than the standard 10x10 freestanding canopy as I have lost a couple to strong gusts of wind that hit unexpectedly.   Thanks.
View Quote

Good question. The material is bombproof (at least on the model I have), it's heavier than a tarp, and the ability to stake it down in many configurations/use poles as necessary or add poles (we use oars) to adjust to the conditions is invaluable for the way I use it. It also seems less susceptible to wind gusts than a 10x10.

We use 10x10s on raft trips but always attach the frame at each corner to a full 5 gal bucket of water to keep them down. The MSR wing just seems far superior in wind than 10x10s or other types of tarps I've seen.

We had two of them on a trip last month and both did great. Every one calls them the "Not So Easy Up" because they take ~10 minutes to set up but everyone loves the shade and/or protection from weather once they're up.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I left the canopy/tarp up for two days.   During that time it endured some decent gusts of wind and some pretty significant rains storms.    Appears to be holding up fine.   I may have a workable solution for most of my immediate needs.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw some of these on an undisclosed
beach a few weeks ago. They handled
the wind effortlessly. But they only work
with some wind, obviously. But easy to
put up & pack down very small.

https://shibumishade.com/products/shibumi-shade $250 MSRP

These pack down small, as well, but not as
easy to put up,  but they handle the wind
pretty well, also. Except these come from
REI. $125

https://www.rei.com/product/123571/neso-grande-sunshade?CAWELAID=120217890004042294&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=100738964535&CATCI=pla-366418484527&cm_mmc=PLA_Google&product_id=1235710001&ad_type=pla&channel=online&partition_id=366418484527&target_id=pla-366418484527&brand_flag=&adgroup_id=100738964535&campaign_id=9919350858&location_physical=9010308&cid=432163240269&network=g&network_type=search&device_type=c&merchant_id=1209243&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9oq4686e6wIVGvLjBx1mkQTFEAQYBiABEgLynfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top