Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2019 11:57:09 AM EDT
Recently purchased a Minnkota Terrova 80lb trolling motor with US2 (universal sonar) built in.  What would be a Sub $700 depth finder to pair up to the trolling motor?  Also, I'll need one for the console on my 21ft pontoon.  I'm assuming since the console unit's transducer will be mounted on the rear toon there is no pairing units?  I was thinking about a Lowrance touch screen Elite 7ti on the console and a Humminbird to mate up with the Minnkota as I believe they are supposed to work with the trolling motor's transducer.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You may get better responses on a fishing forum. Bassresource.com is pretty knowledgeable on fishing, they have a section for boats. I assume that they would be able to come up with an answer for you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't bother the ts2 transducer sucks.  All it gives you is depth and temp.  I'd go with Lowrance with down and side imaging front and back and network them together.  You can still use the Minn Kota transducer for the front finder for depth and temp. I have not tried the newer huminbird units but the 590 something and 690 something I had on my old boat sucked compared to my Lowrance HDS's
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By callmestick:
I wouldn't bother the ts2 transducer sucks.  All it gives you is depth and temp.  I'd go with Lowrance with down and side imaging front and back and network them together.  You can still use the Minn Kota transducer for the front finder for depth and temp. I have not tried the newer huminbird units but the 590 something and 690 something I had on my old boat sucked compared to my Lowrance HDS's
View Quote
What does the "network" them together do?  I'd think with a 21ft I'd want separate transducers at the front and rear of the boat, right?  The last fish finder I had was an Eagle 320.  That thing was like a flip phone compared to today's stuff.

I think the only part I'd like them to talk to each other with is my marked spots with the GPS.  I can get 2 of the Lowrance hook 7ti's for under $800.  If they can talk with each other that might be a good option vs having a nicer one up front where I'll spend all my time fishing and having an "ok" one near the steering wheel for slow trolling to locate structure. 15 years ago these choices would be so much easier!
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get adapter cables to use the MK US2 with pretty much any brand of sonar, but it is a simple 2D sonar-only that doesn't do chirp and operates at 83/200 kHz only. If your Terrova has I-Link you want Humminbird, because I-Link is for Humminbird only. My Terrova has I-Pilot, and I use the US2 for my inexpensive Hook2 unit at the bow. I've had a lot of trouble with Lowrance customer service, and will never purchase another Lowrance product at any price. I'll probably upgrade to the Garmin Panoptix LiveScope, what I've seen of it so far I think will work great for my kind of fishing (freshwater reservoirs and lakes for bass & panfish).
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 4:00:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ydididothis] [#5]
I went with Garmin last year with panoptix livescope and love them. The only thing I regret is this year's newer units will have Navionics.

ETA: Garmin 93 SV Plus with transducer touch screen are on sale at Bass Pro for $599 right now. The firmware update coming out in a few weeks will have Navionics you can download on it. These were $1100 a few months back, I have 3 on my Skeeter bass boat.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I really, really want a livescope.  I am vowing to get better at using my electronics this year.  I've been running downview which is not as effective as regular sonar at locating fish.  It sure does show detailed structure.

I'm saving for a livescope.  I'll be the guy with a $2500 fish finder on a 25 year old tracker boat.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ydididothis:
ETA: Garmin 93 SV Plus with transducer touch screen are on sale at Bass Pro for $599 right now. The firmware update coming out in a few weeks will have Navionics you can download on it. These were $1100 a few months back, I have 3 on my Skeeter bass boat.
View Quote
Note: the on-sale EM+ 93sv comes with the CV52 xd instead of the current GT52 xd. Garmin won't swap them out. IMO the GT52 has a much better DI than the CV52 because the CV52 has no DI element and uses SW to blend the SI view for DI. In tests on BBC Garmin forum, it craps out in 70-80 feet of water. Not a deal-breaker for me since I have never found DI very useful and just want the PLS anyway. FWIW
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RamblinWreck:

Note: the on-sale EM+ 93sv comes with the CV52 xd instead of the current GT52 xd. Garmin won't swap them out. IMO the GT52 has a much better DI than the CV52 because the CV52 has no DI element and uses SW to blend the SI view for DI. In tests on BBC Garmin forum, it craps out in 70-80 feet of water. Not a deal-breaker for me since I have never found DI very useful and just want the PLS anyway. FWIW
View Quote
I know, that's why I have Live Scope
I use my second bow mounted graph for 2d sonar and chart plotter only, the one on the console for charts and si.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 12:13:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: callmestick] [#9]
Originally Posted By walther1978:

What does the "network" them together do?  I'd think with a 21ft I'd want separate transducers at the front and rear of the boat, right?  The last fish finder I had was an Eagle 320.  That thing was like a flip phone compared to today's stuff.

I think the only part I'd like them to talk to each other with is my marked spots with the GPS.  I can get 2 of the Lowrance hook 7ti's for under $800.  If they can talk with each other that might be a good option vs having a nicer one up front where I'll spend all my time fishing and having an "ok" one near the steering wheel for slow trolling to locate structure. 15 years ago these choices would be so much easier!
View Quote
Sorry, didn't see your reply, they are networked together like a pc.  If you set a waypoint on the console fish finder it shows up on the front fish finder.  You can also share the transducers so I have down imaging and side imaging up front.  I only use the front transducer for depth and temp on the front fish finder.  You could probably strap a better transducer to your trolling motor but you would have to keep in mind which way the motor is oriented when looking at your imaging.

Setting up Lowrance HDS-12 GEN3 Electronics with Fletcher Shryock
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I went with Garmin last year with panoptix livescope and love them. The only thing I regret is this year's newer units will have Navionics.

View Quote
I'd love to try out the garmins but it so damned expensive to switch.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By callmestick:

I'd love to try out the garmins but it so damned expensive to switch.
View Quote
Yes it is. I have a good amount wrapped up into electronics, now I'm wanting an Ultrex. It never ends.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Yes it is. I have a good amount wrapped up into electronics, now I'm wanting an Ultrex. It never ends.
View Quote
I love my Ultrex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top