Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2023 6:13:33 PM EDT
Just as the title says.
Looking to get a rechargeable flashlight.
I already have the batteries, just need the flashlight.
No more than $150ish.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for inquiring minds.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Nitecore

Search their line-up for something that fits your needs.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got one of these and I'm super impressed.  I can't believe the output.  

Acebeam/Maratac colaboration
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a bunch of brands that make perfectly capable lights.

Fenix, Nitecore, Olight, Thrunite, Sunwayman, Zebralight, Surefire, Acebeam, and I've owned them all.

Honestly I think Thrunite makes the overall best lights right now. The UI is simple and effective. Olight tends to prefer output vs tint binning and thus the lights are almost universally harsh to get maximum lumens. Other companies don't do this as bad.

If you are a Flashaholic and want the most control over the UI it's hard to be Zebralight. They are definitely the best headlamps but I'd be perfectly content carrying a ZL flashlight.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are a bunch of brands that make perfectly capable lights.

Fenix, Nitecore, Olight, Thrunite, Sunwayman, Zebralight, Surefire, Acebeam, and I've owned them all.

Honestly I think Thrunite makes the overall best lights right now. The UI is simple and effective. Olight tends to prefer output vs tint binning and thus the lights are almost universally harsh to get maximum lumens. Other companies don't do this as bad.

If you are a Flashaholic and want the most control over the UI it's hard to be Zebralight. They are definitely the best headlamps but I'd be perfectly content carrying a ZL flashlight.
View Quote
I'm not really a lightaholic but just need something that'll shine good.
What's UI?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Forgot to ask, should I be looking at lumens or candela for seeing further with it?
That Acebeam looks nice!
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
UI is user interface. How you control the light (on/off/strobe/brightness,etc).

"Throw" is measured in Candela, or Lux. Lumens is total output.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm very partial to ThruNite's TC15, I use moonlight/firefly mode way more than I ever imagined,
and a light blaster is just two clicks away.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh wow....double tap.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been toting around a Sorfirn SC31 Pro, 5000K, SST40 for going on 2 years now. Sofirn SC31 Pro

It rode in the backpack until I retired, now it's the coffee table light used for 90% of whenever I need a flashlight (I am a registered flashaholic, I have 27 lights and I can stop anytime I want to).  The finish has held up really well, as well as the rubber flaps.  The threads have a light lube on them from the factory.  It has the Anduril UI, the basics can be mastered in under 5 minutes and the advanced stuff WILL take some practice.  Anduril allows for either a smooth ramp up or down, or it can be set for stepped ramping.  I have the Sofirn provided 3000 maH battery, I used it for bouncing light off the ceiling for 2 nights during the 2021 storm...I probably had it set below 60 lumens, I just needed a way to light whatever room i was in.  The charging port is a Type C USB.  It's advertised as an EDC, the beam is a bit floody and will fill a field to about 100' feet out and will light up things enough to recognize them quite a bit further...if you want a long range thrower, this isn't it.  It does have an advertised 2000 lumen max output.

I ordered from Aliexpress, the price is lower now than 2 years ago, for under $30 and it took approx. 2 weeks for it to arrive.  I do advise to only order from the Sofirn Official Store.

mm
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm very partial to ThruNite's TC15, I use moonlight/firefly mode way more than I ever imagined,
View Quote
2300 lumens for 2 mins, hell yeah!
I think I might go with a Thrunite, they seem like a good option for what I'm looking for.

Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#12]
There are some questions you need to answer first:

1) What's your use case? Are you counting on it for your life?

2) What size is acceptable? Single cell, multi cell, EDC or coffee table/night stand?

3) Which is more important to you, flood or throw (distance)?

4) How much do you care about "correct" color rendition?

5) Do you need it in a few days, or a couple weeks?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No more than $150ish.
View Quote

Damn, can't help you. I just ordered a Cloud Defense MCH-EDC "dual fuel" light.

It appeals for a few reasons. My current EDC is a Surefire Aviator (single CR123A) and I like it, but it's less a "duty" type light and more of a utility light.

Most of my Surefire lights are great and putting out bulk lumens, and often poor UI if there are any other output modes; and Surefire hasn't really jumped on the 18650 bandwagon.

What I want is a light that can be used for tactical/defensive uses like a typical Surefire, but I also want the ability to step the output down (easy UI) for utility which is likely 90% of my uses.

More importantly, the battery. While 18650 is pretty much universal (and many makers are even bumping up to the 21700 sized batteries).  

I still like 18650 as a good light (like this dual fuel) can be backwards compatible with two CR123As or their equivalent of the 26650 lithium ion (= two CR123A) batteries. This gives you a lot of flexibility and backup options.

I do have several 18650 lights that I really like, most are headlamps, that I really like and can attest to their robustness and performance:

ArmyTek
Wurkkos
Zebralight
Olight

Obviously, all those are Chinese made, but I doubt you’re going to find many options under $150 that are American Made (maybe Streamlight?).

ROCK6

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Damn, can't help you. I just ordered a Cloud Defense MCH-EDC "dual fuel" light.

It appeals for a few reasons. My current EDC is a Surefire Aviator (single CR123A) and I like it, but it's less a "duty" type light and more of a utility light.

Most of my Surefire lights are great and putting out bulk lumens, and often poor UI if there are any other output modes; and Surefire hasn't really jumped on the 18650 bandwagon.

What I want is a light that can be used for tactical/defensive uses like a typical Surefire, but I also want the ability to step the output down (easy UI) for utility which is likely 90% of my uses.

More importantly, the battery. While 18650 is pretty much universal (and many makers are even bumping up to the 21700 sized batteries).  

I still like 18650 as a good light (like this dual fuel) can be backwards compatible with two CR123As or their equivalent of the 26650 lithium ion (= two CR123A) batteries. This gives you a lot of flexibility and backup options.

I do have several 18650 lights that I really like, most are headlamps, that I really like and can attest to their robustness and performance:

ArmyTek
Wurkkos
Zebralight
Olight

Obviously, all those are Chinese made, but I doubt you’re going to find many options under $150 that are American Made (maybe Streamlight?).

ROCK6

View Quote

Most Streamlights are made in China now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been toting around a Sorfirn SC31 Pro, 5000K, SST40 for going on 2 years now. Sofirn SC31 Pro

It rode in the backpack until I retired, now it's the coffee table light used for 90% of whenever I need a flashlight (I am a registered flashaholic, I have 27 lights and I can stop anytime I want to).  The finish has held up really well, as well as the rubber flaps.  The threads have a light lube on them from the factory.  It has the Anduril UI, the basics can be mastered in under 5 minutes and the advanced stuff WILL take some practice.  Anduril allows for either a smooth ramp up or down, or it can be set for stepped ramping.  I have the Sofirn provided 3000 maH battery, I used it for bouncing light off the ceiling for 2 nights during the 2021 storm...I probably had it set below 60 lumens, I just needed a way to light whatever room i was in.  The charging port is a Type C USB.  It's advertised as an EDC, the beam is a bit floody and will fill a field to about 100' feet out and will light up things enough to recognize them quite a bit further...if you want a long range thrower, this isn't it.  It does have an advertised 2000 lumen max output.

I ordered from Aliexpress, the price is lower now than 2 years ago, for under $30 and it took approx. 2 weeks for it to arrive.  I do advise to only order from the Sofirn Official Store.

mm
View Quote

I have several rechargeable flashlights from Streamlight, Olight and Sofirn.  I think the best bang for the buck is the Sofirn.  
I have an SC31 Pro I use for most everything.  I especially like the illuminated power switch.  Helps locate the light in the dark and you're not fumbling for the switch.  I also have a Sofirn IF22A.  It throws a strong beam.  It goes with me camping, exploring, etc.

SC31 Pro

Attachment Attached File

IF22A

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Nitecore. If they don't have it you don't need it. So many choices, pick one that floats your boat.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There are some questions you need to answer first:

1) What's your use case? Are you counting on it for your life? No, just for spotting around the yard and such.

2) What size is acceptable? Single cell, multi cell, EDC or coffee table/night stand? I would say a single cell 18650, it'll sit at home/nightstand.

3) Which is more important to you, flood or throw (distance)? I would like more throw with this one.

4) How much do you care about "correct" color rendition? Don't care about color.

5) Do you need it in a few days, or a couple weeks? No rush, just want to get a decent one.
View Quote
@GreatDane
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Go with a reputable brand and don't fall for those claims of 100,000 lumens from a hand held light.
I am partial to the ones with a built in charging port so I don't have to pull the battery to recharge.

I have a Zebralight SC600 that comes in a couple of different light temps, it is crazy configurable with multiple programmable options, in firefly mode it is good for over 4 months and makes a nice night light when camping.

Newer version
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have several rechargeable flashlights from Streamlight, Olight and Sofirn.  I think the best bang for the buck is the Sofirn.  
I have an SC31 Pro I use for most everything.  I especially like the illuminated power switch.  Helps locate the light in the dark and you're not fumbling for the switch.  I also have a Sofirn IF22A.  It throws a strong beam.  It goes with me camping, exploring, etc.

SC31 Pro

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45352/71UwTVJLUeL__AC_SL1500___Medium__jpg-2747873.JPG

IF22A

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45352/71NUkC4gc-L__AC_SL1500___Medium__jpg-2747874.JPG
View Quote
@cb4017
Do you have an approx. runtime in high mode?
It doesn't seem to give a lot of info on the website.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@cb4017
Do you have an approx. runtime in high mode?
It doesn't seem to give a lot of info on the website.
View Quote

I don't.  

I do know it seems to last forever.  I bought it last November and I think I've only charged it twice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@GreatDane
View Quote

Single cell, cheap, and easy interface. Can't be beat for the price.

Three cell, still pretty cheap, flood and throw all in one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 4:24:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Single cell, cheap, and easy interface. Can't be beat for the price.
View Quote
This 2-way clip will fit the wurkkos fc11

https://illuminationgear.com/shop/ols/products/eagtac-dxclip/v/ET-DXclip-TWO-WAY
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 5:32:30 AM EDT
[#24]
If you are looking for throw the IF22a  is a good option, except it is a 21700 not an 18650
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Flash sale.  $55.95
Nevermind... Not in stock.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#26]
https://1lumen.com/

A fellow AR15.com member showed me this site about 2 weeks ago.

Now I have been on a flashlight rampage. Nearly $1000 bucks in flashlights. From 21700’s, LEPs, soffrins, Olights, lumintops.

Flashlight technology has taken a huge leap since the days of surefire 6ps.

Goodluck OP and have fun.

Skip the 18650 and go to 21700 battery powered rechargable lights. More power and runtime.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The little blue light- rovy von E7 is my favorite to carry. Small. Rechargable with a AAA battery backup. 700 lumens.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top