Link Posted: 5/4/2021 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Found this for use with a helmet

Retevis kit
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had better luck with MURS than GMRS in the woods with my kids. I give my daughter a locked UV5R and she clips it to the cables on the handlebar with a mic on her lapel. She's dropped it and ridden over it numerous times and it still works. I generally have a 878 with me clipped to a pack. Usually works about a mile or so.

I'd really like hard mount TH8600's to each quad but I shy away from the (low) cost each time I get ready to buy them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the setup mostly, but only a 5w. I was hoping there was a good 15w or better option.
View Quote
Anything more than 7/8w is going to be a mobile radio.  Got a GMRS license?
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd also look into MURS as others have suggested.  VHF will travel better outdoors than UHF.  Antenna gain and height will be key with any radio system, though.  If you can do a half wave antenna somewhere on it, you'd get a lot better range than anything smaller, and half wave isn't as sensitive to having a ground plane like a 5/8 wave would be.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]
MURS is great for short range, in places where GMRS channels are quite active. Output power is limited to several watts on MURS. No external antennas are allowed, to my best knowledge.

GMRS allows to run higher power, external antennas (with limitations) and repeaters. Also, FCC fee for GMRS license is supposed to drop to $35. Last I heard it should happen sometime in mid-summer, this year. License is good for 10 years.

All of the above is to my best knowledge. I don't feel like searching for links.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
BTECH GMRS-V1 GMRS Two-Way Radio, GMRS Repeater Capable, with Dual Band Scanning Receiver (136-174.99mhz (VHF) 400-520.99mhz (UHF))

I have the non-gmrs version of this.  I like it, its a lot better than a uv5r.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Wouxon has some newer offerings like a 50 watt mobile and 2 different handhelds. The KG905 HT is the newest and IP66 rated to boot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]
As not to start a whole new thread, I am in a similar boat.

I would like a bank of 8 or so radios.

I need to reach at maximum 1 mile, although much of the area is oak hammock.

Users will be from 9 years old to adult. Cell service is lousy and I want to throw a kid a radio when they hunt, check traps, or just go horse around.

I have a dual band ham, but the hobby never really grabbed me hard and certainly couldn't get other family members onboard.

I don't mind going through the trouble of a family license, but I haven't visited this section in years.

I like value, but don't mind spending on some durable units. I struggled with the baofangs (sp) I added. Programming just sucked for me.

Also - if a "base station" radio would benefit the little network, please share.

Gmrs, murs....what fits the bill here?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 5:16:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Mainly so my son and I can always be in radio contact while trail riding, and then again in contact with my wife if she is back at the cabin/camper. We are still studying for our HAM licenses, but I just need to spend some money and get some turn-key options.

Yes, I will be paying my extortion fee to the FCC. Any links on where exactly to go through that would be appreciated and save me some searching.

Interested in GMRS vs FRS due to the increased power/range/antenna options vs FRS. I'm thinking I do NOT want hand-held portables, unless they could easily be "attached" to an external antenna/power on the UTV/ATV.

Double bonus internet points for waterproof.
View Quote
I used this link when I got mine.  I couldn't test it  since it doesn't like my VPN this morning but it should work.
Why Do I Need a GMRS License and Where Do I Get It?

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I used this link when I got mine.  I couldn't test it  since it doesn't like my VPN this morning but it should work.
Why Do I Need a GMRS License and Where Do I Get It?

View Quote

Very Helpful! Thanks. The fcc site was giving me a headache.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
MURS is great for short range, in places where GMRS channels are quite active. Output power is limited to several watts on MURS. No external antennas are allowed, to my best knowledge.

GMRS allows to run higher power, external antennas (with limitations) and repeaters. Also, FCC fee for GMRS license is supposed to drop to $35. Last I heard it should happen sometime in mid-summer, this year. License is good for 10 years.

All of the above is to my best knowledge. I don't feel like searching for links.
View Quote

MURS can use external antennas (just the 2W limit).

I've found VHF to be the best all around performer in the hills and when riding on the trails. I found it to be such better performer that I migrated the entire ranch fleet from UHF to VHF.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#14]
More power won't give you a proportional increase in range.  
"Always be in communication" is going to be expensive and require infrastructure.  Doesn't matter how badass of a baofeng you have.
All these radios are line-of-sight radios.  If you don't have LoS to the campsite or your riding buddies, you won't have simplex communications with them (thus requiring infrastructure).

I'd also be a little leery of running 10+W anywhere near your body, like you would on an atv/moto.  I'm installing a mobile on my big bike, it's the low-power variant of that radio (1-25W) and i'll be running it at the lower end of that range.  Probably 2W/6W.  And i'll be using my S3 to meter my RF exposure with the setup on the bike.

Mobiles are generally enough for offroad use.  If you find yourself regularly outriding the range of a 1-2W FRS/GMRS radio, focus more effort on group management than your radio equipment.  (Ops team kept calling me on my ride to the tower that day, interrupting my fun...)

I can count on one hand the number of times i've bumped up to high power (5W) from low (1W) in teh last 5 years of riding, recreationally and professionally.  Good group management will always be better than the badassest equipment.  From riding group back to camp, you might want to consider other equiment like InReach or satellite messengers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
BTECH GMRS-V1 GMRS Two-Way Radio, GMRS Repeater Capable, with Dual Band Scanning Receiver (136-174.99mhz (VHF) 400-520.99mhz (UHF))

I have the non-gmrs version of this.  I like it, its a lot better than a uv5r.
View Quote

I picked up a pair these to play around with. There are an ocean of vids on setup and programming. Is there exceptional video out there for dummies??
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I used Motorola GMRS rechargeables  when the wife and I rode separate bikes.  I sewed the head set speakers and microphone into the helmets. I tied the radios to the straps of our Camelbacks.

When hunting in recent years, I took the radios on the trip.  Oddly enough, we had cell phone connectivity, better than many places on the edges of town.  The radios stayed in camp.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was hoping there was a good 15w or better option.
View Quote

Midland MicroMobile series.

Midland has several models of GMRS mobiles, they're mostly lower power (15w) but will work fine with a vehicle mounted antenna. Getting a good rugged antenna & installation is critical for an off-road vehicle.

You can go up to 50 watts, but you'll need to put a lot more care into wire gauge, connections and all that stuff, and it really doesn't make that much difference in radio performance. I think there are some 50w GMRS-specific mobiles, you could also use a fully-programmable LMR (part 90) radio, but you'd probably want to find older models as the newer ones won't let you program wideband.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top