Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2018 8:10:46 PM EDT
So what’s everyone using and what’s good to buy? My old tri-tronics sport basic pro has bit the dust and am looking to upgrade to some new collars and controller. I need something for field use and house training, two collars on the same remote with a good distance. I’m currently looking at Garmin sport xc, anyone using one? Where’s the best place to buy? So far looks like eBay has the best price.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a big fan of SportDOG. The trainer I used for my bird dog used those along with a few hunting buddies. I have one dog so no experience with multiple collars at once, but pretty sure they can do that as well. Their we're cheaper options out there, but we've had this one now for over a year and it's like it's new battery wise.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I got an Educator K9.800 tactical a few years back and it has served me well. Always reliable, replaceable battery (easy to do as I replaced mine once already), remote led light for easy spotting, 0-100 step sensitivity and a vibrate button.  They have newer models but this one suits me well and works as good as day 1 even with all the beating it has taken.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bimmertech87:
So what's everyone using and what's good to buy? My old tri-tronics sport basic pro has bit the dust and am looking to upgrade to some new collars and controller. I need something for field use and house training, two collars on the same remote with a good distance. I'm currently looking at Garmin sport xc, anyone using one? Where's the best place to buy? So far looks like eBay has the best price.
View Quote
I have used the Garmin Delta XC for about the last 4 years and am very happy with it.  Great battery life (rechargable) and will run up to 3 dogs.

I only use it for waterfowl hunting and a little close in upland work so the 1/2 mile range works fine for me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a Sport XC 4 or 5 years ago, the thing works great.  I like the versatility of it, it has vibrate, tone and a bunch of different shock settings so you can set it up to match your dog and adjust it in the field.  And like VTDuckGuy said, great battery life.  I think the prices were all about the same, ended up getting mine from Lion Country Supply.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]
check out  dogtra, i love mine. goes from 0-124, nick & constant with a vibrating pager. great reception and can get 2-dog models. i use on for my GSD not really a hunting dog but my buddy uses their double dog model when we bird hunt for his 2-german wired haired pointers.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 11:58:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: psyop2314] [#6]
Got a few DT Systems collars (r a.p.t. 1400).  Have been pretty happy with them. 3/4mi range. 1-16 intensity levels, nick, constant, jump to a programmable level, and vibrate. Can run 3 collars on one remote.
The remote straps around your hand on the back with a programmable button located on the top where your thumb can easily press it. It is awesome while field hunting with younger dogs that may need more frequent correction/collar input.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Garmin Alpha.  It is worth the extra cost.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smaddox:
I have a Garmin Alpha.  It is worth the extra cost.
View Quote
As a longtime vendor of dog tracking and training equipment I would recommend the Dogtra Pathfinder over the Alpha. It does Everything better than the Alpha and it costs half as much. It's really a no brainer!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:02:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I have two beagles and use the GARMIN 550 Pro.  It's equipped with stim,, vibration, tone, beacon lights, bark and the system will run up to three dogs on one remote.  Never had a single issue with the unit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top