BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2021 10:15:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
**CUT**
Questions:
  1. Best place to shop for supplies these days? I really try to avoid Amazon counterfeit stuff...
  2. For massive bleeding, still Israeli bandages and quick clot?
  3. Adhesive type wound closures: still steri-strips?
  4. What is hot for self-applied tourniquets?
  5. Also would like new bags as well. I was using a generic duffel before for the house kit, smaller duffel for the "OH SHIT" bag, and small generic hiking packs for med kits that fit inside the GHBs. Those could use an upgrade.
**CUT**
Also going to get an AED. I had started a thread on that a while back, life got busy and I didn't finish research and purchase. Knowledgeable advice?

View Quote
** DISCLAIMER** I am by no means a professional and only have limited basic first aid training.

1. I like Rescue Essentials but usually only buy in bulk during their sales which aren't too often but during holidays etc.
Website

2. I have Israeli bandages but am more and more getting the quick clot impregnated combat gauze for wound packing and then Israeli bandage or similar for over the top of the packed wound. It is spendy though.
Example

3. I keep multiple sized steri-strips for most things in my kits, along with regular bandaids, but have a few skin staplers on hand as well (hope I don't have to use them any time soon).

4. I have a mix of several CAT-7 and SOFTT-W on hand in various locations (plate carrier, vehicles, first aid kits, get home bag etc). I find each has advantages and disadvantages but the biggest thing is to be trained in their use and have one on hand when needed. I will say if you are only going to get a couple I would go SOFTT-W so you can train with them. If you go CAT-7 get a dedicated "trainer" in orange or blue and don't train with your dedicated units. I also have some of the SWAT-T but keep those mostly for use as an Israeli type bandage for use on a packed wound.

5. I don't spend a lot on bags. My range kit is in a plastic ammo can, I have a kit on a plate carrier in a basic molle attached medical kit pouch and I keep components in my get home bag (which is just a camelbak backpack). I also use extra components to stock regular first aid kits in the vehicles.

AED - I'm trained on their use through my employment but it's too spendy of an option for me right now. Great to have if you can afford it. Very idiot proof and has written instructions with pictures inside and verbal instructions as you start it up. Almost anyone could use it as long as they can keep a calm head during an emergency and not be in code black.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#2]
For starters a little on my background. I'm a certified EMT Basic with 10 years on an Advanced Life Support unit.
Im now law enforcement with several swoopy teams, and will serve as a team medic when we don't have a paramedic or Ambo on standby (which is often). I'm not the end all be all, but I think I know more than the average person.

Best place to shop for supplies these days? I really try to avoid Amazon counterfeit stuff...
I hate to say it, but I use Amazon. If your not concerned with prices, Chinook medical is good shit.

For massive bleeding, still Israeli bandages and quick clot?
Adhesive type wound closures: still steri-strips?

Nothing wrong with Israeli dressings, but can do the same with an ABD pad and a ace bandage. They're just not seen together. For my personal medical storage, more is better. There's no on size fits all, so I watch Amazon deals for major discounts on various gauze and grab a shit load of whatever's on sale. When the time comes to use something I'll use what I need.
Steristrips are a good alternative to sutures. So is duct tape, so is super glue. In the ER they put purple dye in it and call it "derma bond".

What is hot for self-applied tourniquets?

Personal preference, for me it's the latest generation of CAT, that's what I'm issued, and that's what I've trained with. This is something I would NOT get off Amazon, and don't buy a knock off. Actually, I wouldn't be opposed to knock offs for spares. Have a few good ones on your gear or in your vehicles, but keep the knockoffs in reserve. Better to have a knock off than have nothing I guess. Regardless, know which one you have, and get a trainer, or use an old one to train with and lock how to use it and get it on in under 60 secs.

Also would like new bags as well. I was using a generic duffel before for the house kit, smaller duffel for the "OH SHIT" bag, and small generic hiking packs for med kits that fit inside the GHBs. Those could use an upgrade.

Just like anything else as much as you want to spend. You could spend a shit load on PJ packs that you prob don't need. I have an old medical bag that I got when I started my EMS career. Haven't looked at it in years but it's stocked. As far as stuff for home, I've been using plastic totes and little travel organizers off Amazon to organize shit. Works for me.

I'm going to try to talk you out of an AED. Very expensive, most organizations usually end up getting them through grants and donations. But if you have the money to burn go for it. Just know they don't last forever and should be replaced after 5 years. Pads expire yearly, and the battery needs to be checked regularly. It's alot of $ and effort.

I urge you to focus on the basics, specifically sterilization. Peroxide, rubbing alcohol, beta alanine, etc. In a "SHTF" without access to advanced medical treatment, your not going to survive any major trauma. It's just not realistic. But a small cut is completely survivable SO long as you can avoid infection.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I will offer a counter argument for the AED.

I was buying one for my office and it occurred to me that I am spending a decent chunk of money to potentially save the life of a stranger…and I don’t have the same capabilities at home……..for a friend or loved one …….or for MYSELF!   I coughed up 2X the cash and bought one for the office and the house.

I shopped it out and found a reputable dealer on Ebay.  They gave me a bit of a price break for buying 2 units.

Link Posted: 8/15/2021 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#4]
https://www.mountainside-medical.com/ is one of my go-to's as it's the only place I've found that will sell silvadene (silver sulfadiazene) without a prescription.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Background information; I’m not a professional but I’ve had training classes on CPR, First Aid, and trauma care.

Chinook Medical is my go-to supplier

A compression bandage over a packed wound with combat gauze or, failing that, sterile gauze seems to be current SOP for junctional bleeds.

For TQ, I like SOFFT-W. Something about the metal windlass and hardware feels better to be, though CAT-7 would work as well. TQ for extremity bleeding.

Chest seals weren’t mentioned before, and literally any plastic sheeting and adhesive tape can be made to work in a pinch, but ready made ones are cheap. Wounds on the body get chest seals.

Not a terrible idea to have an airway (NPA) in a kit as well.

I’ve got a few small kits stashed in GHB and truck. I’m probably grabbing some burn care kits next time I’m back in the States as well. There’s a zipper one from Maxpedition that I like on Amazon for like $20us.

Bottom line, disregard what I’m saying and get into a Dark Angel Medical class or the like or spend a semester getting your EMT-B and buy what they tell you.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I know it's a few months away, but North American Rescue had some really killer deals the past 2 black fridays. Keep it in mind if you plan on dropping a good amount of money on med supplies.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can swing it, take an EMT class and spend some time in the back of a volunteer ambulance. It's a great learning experience, and you can give back to your community in the process. Nobody will ever turn away someone who wants to volunteer these days.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#9]
What do you guys think of mymedic.com?

Not pricing but quality of supplies

Thanks!

disclaimer: my medical training is limited and basic, planning to focus on it more in the coming months.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For starters a little on my background. I'm a certified EMT Basic with 10 years on an Advanced Life Support unit.
Im now law enforcement with several swoopy teams, and will serve as a team medic when we don't have a paramedic or Ambo on standby (which is often). I'm not the end all be all, but I think I know more than the average person.

Best place to shop for supplies these days? I really try to avoid Amazon counterfeit stuff...
I hate to say it, but I use Amazon. If your not concerned with prices, Chinook medical is good shit.

For massive bleeding, still Israeli bandages and quick clot?
Adhesive type wound closures: still steri-strips?

Nothing wrong with Israeli dressings, but can do the same with an ABD pad and a ace bandage. They're just not seen together. For my personal medical storage, more is better. There's no on size fits all, so I watch Amazon deals for major discounts on various gauze and grab a shit load of whatever's on sale. When the time comes to use something I'll use what I need.
Steristrips are a good alternative to sutures. So is duct tape, so is super glue. In the ER they put purple dye in it and call it "derma bond".

What is hot for self-applied tourniquets?

Personal preference, for me it's the latest generation of CAT, that's what I'm issued, and that's what I've trained with. This is something I would NOT get off Amazon, and don't buy a knock off. Actually, I wouldn't be opposed to knock offs for spares. Have a few good ones on your gear or in your vehicles, but keep the knockoffs in reserve. Better to have a knock off than have nothing I guess. Regardless, know which one you have, and get a trainer, or use an old one to train with and lock how to use it and get it on in under 60 secs.

Also would like new bags as well. I was using a generic duffel before for the house kit, smaller duffel for the "OH SHIT" bag, and small generic hiking packs for med kits that fit inside the GHBs. Those could use an upgrade.

Just like anything else as much as you want to spend. You could spend a shit load on PJ packs that you prob don't need. I have an old medical bag that I got when I started my EMS career. Haven't looked at it in years but it's stocked. As far as stuff for home, I've been using plastic totes and little travel organizers off Amazon to organize shit. Works for me.

I'm going to try to talk you out of an AED. Very expensive, most organizations usually end up getting them through grants and donations. But if you have the money to burn go for it. Just know they don't last forever and should be replaced after 5 years. Pads expire yearly, and the battery needs to be checked regularly. It's alot of $ and effort.

I urge you to focus on the basics, specifically sterilization. Peroxide, rubbing alcohol, beta alanine, etc. In a "SHTF" without access to advanced medical treatment, your not going to survive any major trauma. It's just not realistic. But a small cut is completely survivable SO long as you can avoid infection.
View Quote

Great post, thank you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been trying to boost my basic bandaid preps and the best price for bandages that found is at amazon or walmart.com in 50-100ct boxes like a doctor office would buy

The above especially applies to knuckle and knee bandages.  For basic .75" strips, Menards has 30ct boxes of curad for under $1 and occasionally on sale for $0.50 either of which is better than what I was able to find on Amazon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top