Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2020 2:46:51 PM EDT
These cans are pricey and I understand that they may not be legal in California BUT what is.....

Scepter Nato Gas Can aka MFC

Anyway I have 2 10 liter cans but will get a 20 liter.  WHOOPS 2.5 gallon and 5 Gallon for my friends south of the 49th.

In Canada Princess Auto has these.  

I don't have the rig for overlanding but I will add some off road capability to my Ram 1500 and do some truck camping for travelling to shooting matches.   Next step is a bed tent with no floor.  

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish we could get those in the states, but no one will ship them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a few of the big boys before the ban. They are pretty cool. Wish I could get more.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got a few of the big boys before the ban. They are pretty cool. Wish I could get more.
View Quote

road trip?
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

road trip?
View Quote

Once the border opens come on up :)
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a couple of the 5 gallon size.  I would like to find Viton gaskets for the caps.  I've got a spout for the old U.S. GI gas cans and it threads into my Scepters like it was made for them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 7:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I have four of them. The cans are great, the nozzles absolutely suck donkey balls. Inexcusably bad.

Link Posted: 9/4/2020 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've got a couple of the 5 gallon size.  I would like to find Viton gaskets for the caps.  I've got a spout for the old U.S. GI gas cans and it threads into my Scepters like it was made for them.
View Quote

Because it was.
Someone used to sell Viton replacements. But I haven't looked in a while.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have four of them. The cans are great, the nozzles absolutely suck donkey balls. Inexcusably bad.

View Quote

Is that why they're called donkey dicks?
Mine always leak a little before they seal.
Still better than any of the anti spill gadgets I've tried.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

HA  love the candor  is yours the same as mine in the video?
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes.  The clear plastic hose will fall out one day and cover you with gas. All three of mine have failed and I've yet to find a glue that will keep them together.

Link Posted: 9/5/2020 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish I knew someone in a border area that would be willing to go buy em and ship em to me in FL
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Im or email me for the viton gaskets.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#13]
What’s the advantage over regular Jerry Cans?  
Seems like those would take up more room.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dont rust, dent, peel.
I cant speak to the differences in the spout or fuel nozzle because I haven't used the metal cans.
I'm not sure how metal cans handle temp changes, bu my MFC have swelled and shrunk without leaking. So I know the seal well.

The biggest problem i have with them is the seals do leak some when you first close them up.
I need to invest in the cap handle. They can be a bear to open. I keep a strap wrench next to the nozzle.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Im or email me for the viton gaskets.
View Quote

I've bought viton gaskets from vatopa.  They are the real deal and high quality.  Recommend!
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

In theory they also won't explode like the metal ones, I read somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

In theory they also won't explode like the metal ones, I read somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Princess Auto is 43 miles away from me in Michigan according to google maps. But Canada is closed. :-(
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wish I knew someone in a border area that would be willing to go buy em and ship em to me in FL
View Quote

Canada is closed to casual traffic. If it were open, Would our Border Patrol/ Customs  let them through the border?
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Definitely picking up a few the next time I’m up north.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#21]
A Scepter MFC is not a NATO can.

The NATO can's are steel and have a different nozzle.

The MFC is a plastic can that can use both it's own nozzle and the nozzle from the older Blitz can, which is what I use personally.

My big complaint about MFC's is that they swell*. A lot. And they're slightly bigger than a NATO or a Blitz to begin with. This means they don't always fit a can holder meant for one of the latters. (Although the Blitz-specific holders don't hold anything...)

You do need a new gasket generally compared to what you typically get with them. If you use the Milspec gasket, it will swell and break a little plastic thingy in the lid.

I just drained 2 MFC's tonight (into my avatar; I'm just rotating fuel). I use a super siphon generally. That's better than using either the Blitz or the MFC nozzle.

IMO - If you can get them, NATO can's are better. I'm not sure if anyone is bringing them in as 'water' cans anymore.

BTW - the MWC - the water variant of the MFC - is da bomb and the best water can out there. But I'm not a fan of the MFC.

On Blitz cans... A good one is a good can. A bad one is a crap can. I have 2; one that's a good can, and one that swelled somehow, and now the base is out of spec. It doesn't leak, but it doesn't fit in my Fuel can carriers on the Avatar anymore. Visually it looks fine. When MFC's swell it's obvious - they look like Balloons. When Blitz's swell, it's not obvious, that seam at the bottom just opens up a bit and they otherwise look fine. I've never had a NATO can swell.

*-This really may not be a concern to you if you don't live somewhere that gets really hot. But I live in Az... damn things swell.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A Scepter MFC is not a NATO can.

The NATO can's are steel and have a different nozzle.

The MFC is a plastic can that can use both it's own nozzle and the nozzle from the older Blitz can, which is what I use personally.

My big complaint about MFC's is that they swell*. A lot. And they're slightly bigger than a NATO or a Blitz to begin with. This means they don't always fit a can holder meant for one of the latters. (Although the Blitz-specific holders don't hold anything...)

You do need a new gasket generally compared to what you typically get with them. If you use the Milspec gasket, it will swell and break a little plastic thingy in the lid.

I just drained 2 MFC's tonight (into my avatar; I'm just rotating fuel). I use a super siphon generally. That's better than using either the Blitz or the MFC nozzle.

IMO - If you can get them, NATO can's are better. I'm not sure if anyone is bringing them in as 'water' cans anymore.

BTW - the MWC - the water variant of the MFC - is da bomb and the best water can out there. But I'm not a fan of the MFC.

On Blitz cans... A good one is a good can. A bad one is a crap can. I have 2; one that's a good can, and one that swelled somehow, and now the base is out of spec. It doesn't leak, but it doesn't fit in my Fuel can carriers on the Avatar anymore. Visually it looks fine. When MFC's swell it's obvious - they look like Balloons. When Blitz's swell, it's not obvious, that seam at the bottom just opens up a bit and they otherwise look fine. I've never had a NATO can swell.

*-This really may not be a concern to you if you don't live somewhere that gets really hot. But I live in Az... damn things swell.
View Quote

I'm sure you know this but I'll just mention it for those that don't.  NATO cans DO expand and contract with changes in temperature, they just don’t show it anywhere near as much as the MFC’s do.  This is something to be mindful of when opening a can, since pressure either way can cause fuel to spray out when the air tight seal is broken.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm sure you know this but I'll just mention it for those that don't.  NATO cans DO expand and contract with changes in temperature, they just don’t show it anywhere near as much as the MFC’s do.  This is something to be mindful of when opening a can, since pressure either way can cause fuel to spray out when the air tight seal is broken.
View Quote

My solution is to put a little less fuel in them and open the cap slowly. I put no more than 5 gallons into a 20L can (5.2 gal capacity) and no more than 1 gallon into a 5L can (1.3 gal capacity).

I have both MFC and NATO cans. I prefer the NATO cans. I’m gradually switching over to NATO cans and given the price they are selling for on eBay, I can probably sell my MFC cans and purchase NATO cans and come out well ahead.

I prefer the Valpro cans from Atlantic British. No can is better. Some are almost as good (GELG) but none are better.

DON’T buy any “NATO” cans from China. They are garbage.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#24]
As stated above. VATOPA is the man with gaskets....... Buy with confidence.

Here’s a tid bit for you guys..........the Flange is the center plastic portion on the inside of the lid that holds the Viton gasket in place........they eventually break.  Instead of looking for more flanges to repair the broken ones you will get, just buy full circle viton gaskets from VTOPA.  then if your on the trail or wherever and it happens(cause it will) your can is not rendered useless and spilling fuel all over the place
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

True. But when I'm looking at my shelf of gas cans, it's the MFC's that look like balloons.

Always open away or very, very slowly to relieve the pressure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

True. But when I'm looking at my shelf of gas cans, it's the MFC's that look like balloons.

View Quote

I made the mistake one time with a 2.5 gallon NATO can. I had filled it up nearly to the top (NATO cans don’t pour well if they are filled to the max) and left it in the sun on a hot summer day. I opened it quickly and was drenched with at least a quart of gas which blew out of the spout. I haven’t made that mistake again!
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s why I mentioned it, it’s easy to see on the plastic cans but not so easy on the metal ones.  We can try and mitigate it but whether you leave a little space in the can like Coltrifle mentioned or do what I do, which is rotate fuel in the spring and fall and fill the cans on a 60 degree day (I’m not fanatical about it) to keep the temperature swings to a minimum, the best thing to do is to treat every can like it’s pressurized.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I made the mistake one time with a 2.5 gallon NATO can. I had filled it up nearly to the top (NATO cans don’t pour well if they are filled to the max) and left it in the sun on a hot summer day. I opened it quickly and was drenched with at least a quart of gas which blew out of the spout. I haven’t made that mistake again!
View Quote

Ouch!
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I prefer the Valpro cans from Atlantic British. No can is better. Some are almost as good (GELG) but none are better.
View Quote

If you can find them reasonably priced the Swiss NATO-style cans beat all. I was spoiled as my intro to NATO cans was 4 Swiss cans I found on craigslist for $30 (for all 4). Loved them so much I got 8 more NATO cans.

As far as opening, I've found that filling them to the specified capacity reduces their explosive, gas spraying tendencies bc there is less air to expand & contract. The key is to tilt them back so the air bubble is directly under the lid, not in the back in air cavity.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:22:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Anyone know of a reputable source for the MFC and MWC cans for those in the US?
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't help with the MFC's but Lexington is a good source for the MWC's.
https://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/military-water-can/
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don’t think Scepter will sell the MFCs in the US any longer. It’s used cans on eBay now at crazy prices....or just get NATO cans. I have both and prefer the NATO cans.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#33]
So Lexington is GTG? What's a good source on the NATO MFCs? Thank you
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Scratch that, I thought you were still asking about Sceptre MFCs.

NATO cans frequently come up in various milsurp channels and you just have to watch for them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, Lexington is good to go for Scepter cans.

I don’t know how familiar you are with MWC’s but there is a less expensive can available.  Two actually, LCI and Skilcraft but they are essentially the same mil-spec MWC.   Bear in mind that, despite appearances, these are NOT the same as a Scepter.  That doesn’t mean they can’t work for you but you’re getting what you pay for.  

Shop around as prices can be all over the map.  I think you could probably find green ones as well.
https://www.buylci.com/water-can-5-gallon-desert-tan.html

https://www.bscsource.com/ProductDetails/NSN0893827-7240000893827-Plastic-Water-Can-5-Gallon-Desert-Sand/NSN0893827/p10147887

For NATO jerry cans I like Valpro/Wavian and probably the best place to get them is Rover parts.  They can also show up on Ebay occasionally but you better know what you’re looking at to avoid the junk.  

First time buyers can sign up for their emails and get 10% off your first order.
https://www.roverparts.com/search/jerry-cans/

Military surplus cans also show up from time to time and these can be a good deal or a money pit, it just depends on the deal.  Like with Ebay, you better know what you’re doing with surplus cans to avoid getting stuck.

Link Posted: 9/13/2020 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Thank you guys! Trying to fill in some gaps
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#37]
I am a big fan of the MFCs and MWCs.  MFC parts can be had shipped from Canada.  I have some pretty beat up MFCs which work great with new caps.

I found the nozzles worked well, but deteriorated within 10 years in the shed.  The clear part became brittle and completely shattered, even new in package.

If you have any MFCs or MWCs, you need to check out JAGMTE.  They also have viton gaskets and part, as well as useful things like carriers, tools for opening/closing, and water valves to make MWCs more useful.

Edit:  I see JAGMTE now has replacement nozzle hoses, great!
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#38]
His price on gaskets is retarded..........,you don’t need to buy a whole new nozzle if the scepter clear one goes brittle.......as stated it will.  Here’s another tid bit for.  Go to any local auto parts store, buy a length of fuel hose whatever length you want but obviously the same diameter as the plastic scepter lid housing........rip out the old hose, get fuel safe glue.  Glue in new fuel hose.

I have 2 that I retrofitted years ago and still going strong.......total cost of project about $3
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm not seeing much better viton gasket prices even straight from McMaster-Carr, what's your source?

I recall now, it was DS Tactical in Canada where I got the cap assemblies from before.  I can't find where they say specifically they ship to the US, but they used to.  No full cans, though.

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm not seeing much better viton gasket prices even straight from McMaster-Carr, what's your source?

I recall now, it was DS Tactical in Canada where I got the cap assemblies from before.  I can't find where they say specifically they ship to the US, but they used to.  No full cans, though.

View Quote

Looking for viton gaskets???  Look about 10 posts up in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
As stated above. VATOPA is the man with gaskets....... Buy with confidence.

Here's a tid bit for you guys..........the Flange is the center plastic portion on the inside of the lid that holds the Viton gasket in place........they eventually break.  Instead of looking for more flanges to repair the broken ones you will get, just buy full circle viton gaskets from VTOPA.  then if your on the trail or wherever and it happens(cause it will) your can is not rendered useless and spilling fuel all over the place
View Quote
Hey!  It's possible someone might have missed this the first time!
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don’t know how familiar you are with MWC’s but there is a less expensive can available.  Two actually, LCI and Skilcraft but they are essentially the same mil-spec MWC.   Bear in mind that, despite appearances, these are NOT the same as a Scepter.  That doesn’t mean they can’t work for you but you’re getting what you pay for.  

Shop around as prices can be all over the map.  I think you could probably find green ones as well.

https://www.bscsource.com/ProductDetails/NSN0893827-7240000893827-Plastic-Water-Can-5-Gallon-Desert-Sand/NSN0893827/p10147887

For NATO jerry cans I like Valpro/Wavian and probably the best place to get them is Rover parts.  They can also show up on Ebay occasionally but you better know what you’re looking at to avoid the junk.  

First time buyers can sign up for their emails and get 10% off your first order.

Military surplus cans also show up from time to time and these can be a good deal or a money pit, it just depends on the deal.  Like with Ebay, you better know what you’re doing with surplus cans to avoid getting stuck.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Swissarmyvehicles.com also has them for $45ish each when bought in 4-packs. I just walked in to their store last month and bought 4 scratch-and-dent for $25 each plus tax, with only minor blemishes and no interior coating damage.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#43]
I have an unleaded interface spout that I purchased some years ago that has a stiff black plastic fill tube and not one of the clear ones.  Maybe I should go see how brittle it has gotten if at all.

I guess I'll be contacting VATOPA shortly for gaskets. All my cans have broken the flange.   I just place the gasket on the rim properly before tightening.

Truth be told, I haven't used my cans since 08. I do feel that I need to re-up my supply game in 2021.

Do these cans store long term as well as steel?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top