Posted: 5/30/2023 4:52:29 PM EDT
Analog / Digital (DMR) 144/440
Ability to manually enter frequency from front panel
Secure screw-on speaker mic connection
Easy to MARS Mod / unlock from Ham Bands

Current production models

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Except for the mic connection that would be an ft-70.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Unfortunately the mic connection is not a point of compromise.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the Ailunce HD1 freebanded?

There's the Vitai/Zastone UV008, but it seems to have a few quirks.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure if you can punch in a frequency into the tyt md-uv390 but it would scratch all those itches if so, and you can find a screw-inable kenwood type connector.

I think this is gonna be motorola and p25 only unfortunately due to the locking requirement. Both the 390 and my anytone 878 can do bluetooth, even though you didn't mention that.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if you can punch in a frequency into the tyt md-uv390 but it would scratch all those itches if so, and you can find a screw-inable kenwood type connector.

I think this is gonna be motorola and p25 only unfortunately due to the locking requirement. Both the 390 and my anytone 878 can do bluetooth, even though you didn't mention that.
View Quote

I have a uv-390. Great radio for what i have used it for. It does not have a VFO mode. I also have the older TYT-2017 which has the good mic connection, but no VFO mode.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

C4FM, not DMR (if that is indeed what the OP was after).
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is the screw retained mic connection on the Chinese radio's generic or each one branded to the radio manufacturer?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is the screw retained mic connection on the Chinese radio's generic or each one branded to the radio manufacturer?
View Quote

I've encountered two that look similar but are different shape and spacing. The ailunce HD1 type and the baofeng uv9r type.  Each probably gets a bit of use elsewhere I'm sure.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I not sure, as the TYT-2017 is the only example i own. I wish they would have kept that on the UV-380/390
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:18:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a uv-390. Great radio for what i have used it for. It does not have a VFO mode. I also have the older TYT-2017 which has the good mic connection, but no VFO mode.
View Quote

I love my MD UV390.  It checks all the boxes except screw in mic jack.  

But...it absolutely DOES have a VFO mode.

Just go to "settings",  select MR mode (we're normally in channel mode), then back out and hold the red key for a few seconds...you'll see a "v" appear next to that slot, and that slot/VFO will be in VFO mode, dial or input any frequency.

Found this purely by accident, as it's not in the manual.  Great feature though, especially for working satellites.

If there's a way to have a screw-in mic connection for the 390, I'd love to know about it!
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#11]
If it's capable of using the OpenGD77 firmware, pick that one.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:31:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just go to "settings",  select MR mode (we're normally in channel mode), then back out and hold the red key for a few seconds...you'll see a "v" appear next to that slot, and that slot/VFO will be in VFO mode, dial or input any frequency.

Found this purely by accident, as it's not in the manual.  Great feature though, especially for working satellites.

If there's a way to have a screw-in mic connection for the 390, I'd love to know about it!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool. I will check that out when I get back in town.
I need to test the 390's receive sensitivity as well.

I have been  using a monthly 2m simplex net to test the receive on handhelds comparing them. My old Yaesu 270 2m only radio is the King so far.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Single band handhelds have a better antenna. Multi band models are usually a compromise. Are you testing using the same antenna?
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Single band handhelds have a better antenna. Multi band models are usually a compromise. Are you testing using the same antenna?
View Quote

Yes. An antenna I pull up into a tree about 35'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top