Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
11/2/2022 4:30:06 PM
Posted: 9/7/2022 2:20:53 PM EST
Guys...been using a iron, don't think it working good for me. Ordered some bags and some aint sealing correctly. What do you guys recommend?
Thanks.
brownells
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:31:41 PM EST
[#1]
I've been using an iron over a piece of 2x4.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:40:38 PM EST
[#2]
Question (possibly stupid): Are there mylar bags that will work with a FoodSaver?
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:45:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: tooly] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VACaver:
Question (possibly stupid): Are there mylar bags that will work with a FoodSaver?
View Quote

Bogarting my thread? I'm asking a question. You could've started your own post.
You can use the bags, but get a small piece of food saver bag, one small piece on each side to keep the mylor bag open enough to seal.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:47:53 PM EST
[#4]
Originally Posted By dcs12345:
View Quote

I'm using that and a cuttingboard. You never have any issues with the bad getting sucked up?
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 3:24:55 PM EST
[#5]
Originally Posted By tooly:

You can use the bags, but get a small piece of food saver bag, one small piece on each side to keep the mylor bag open enough to seal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Apologies. Thought my question would benefit you and others.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 3:51:46 PM EST
[#6]
I use a hair straightening iron, gets plenty hot and much easier to handle. Just clamp it and then pull it along slowly to seal the mylar bag. Bought it at a thrift store for a few dollars.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 3:59:26 PM EST
[#7]

Apologies. Thought my question would benefit you and others.
View Quote

Sorry man...going through some crap, post away.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 4:03:34 PM EST
[#8]
Wife uses hair straightener on them.
Foodsaver usually is no bueno because when it attains whatever vacuum level to trigger it, it then seals for a short time. Thicker mylar needs more time.

Tier 1, look for a lem chamber vac at Costco. You can vary the heat time depending on the bag thickness. Downside can't do really huge bags. Upside can do liquids.
Tier 2, look for an "impulse sealer" on Amazon Warehouse. They are usually pull down for on, so you just hold it a little longer. Some also have a temp control.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 4:31:12 PM EST
[#9]

I'm using that and a cuttingboard. You never have any issues with the bad getting sucked up?
View Quote

are you having issues sealing or are they sealing fine, but you just want more air out?  

Link Posted: 9/7/2022 6:58:44 PM EST
[#10]
Hair straightener.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:04:48 PM EST
[#11]

are you having issues sealing or are they sealing fine, but you just want more air out?  

View Quote

Doing the same for all, like the dry beans yesterday was done in no time at all, all the air sucked up. And the rice wasn't, had 400 cc in a half gallon and nothing. The air isn't sucked out at all. I waisted like 7 bags.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:12:10 PM EST
[#12]
View Quote

1x1 here but same. I try to roll out as much air out of the top as possible before sealing, but you'll never get it all. So long as it's sealed and you got your absorbers in, should be gtg. Stacks fairly well with that method
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:54:59 PM EST
[#13]
You need an impulse sealer. I have one from Harvest Right but here is one on Amazon. No idea if it is any good but the link is so you have an idea on where to start

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09G2VQCGW?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 8:06:47 PM EST
[#14]
Originally Posted By TNRonin:
Hair straightener.
View Quote

You think that's better then one of those machines with the arm that goes down on the bag?
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 8:09:11 PM EST
[#15]
Originally Posted By GunBacon:
You need an impulse sealer. I have one from Harvest Right but here is one on Amazon. No idea if it is any good but the link is so you have an idea on where to start

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09G2VQCGW?tag=arfcom00-20
View Quote

Thanks...I have one in the cart but not sure what the best.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 8:11:23 PM EST
[#16]

View Quote

? Ive been thinking of getting the food saver type bags and sealer. Can this not be used on the mylar bags for long term storage?
Im brand new to this stuff...
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:10:25 PM EST
[#17]
Originally Posted By cjk:

? Ive been thinking of getting the food saver type bags and sealer. Can this not be used on the mylar bags for long term storage?
Im brand new to this stuff...
View Quote

Mylar bags are very flat. The food saver bags are flat on one side and got ridges on the other, so air will be able to get sucked out.

If you want to put stuff in the freezer, I'd get the food saver. That's what I use mine for. You can rig up the mylar bags so it can work, but never tried it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 11:31:09 PM EST
[#18]

Mylar bags are very flat. The food saver bags are flat on one side and got ridges on the other, so air will be able to get sucked out.

If you want to put stuff in the freezer, I'd get the food saver. That's what I use mine for. You can rig up the mylar bags so it can work, but never tried it.
View Quote

Ah, makes sense. Will look into it further.
Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:24:42 AM EST
[#19]

Doing the same for all, like the dry beans yesterday was done in no time at all, all the air sucked up. And the rice wasn't, had 400 cc in a half gallon and nothing. The air isn't sucked out at all. I waisted like 7 bags.
View Quote

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the last time I bagged up beans and rice, the beans sucked themselves up tight and just like you, my rice didn’t.  I think it might be a common issue. There still might be some air in the bag, but just not much O2, so I doubt anything is wasted at all.

Maybe try more absorbers in the rice next time or just don’t worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:44:43 AM EST
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:47:34 AM EST
[#21]
Linked below is the impulse sealer I have been using for the last 3+ years.
No issue and would buy it again.
The cost of it has increased by 53% since January 2019.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 11:31:53 AM EST
[#22]
Originally Posted By cjk:

Ah, makes sense. Will look into it further.
Thank you sir.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 11:33:12 AM EST
[#23]

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the last time I bagged up beans and rice, the beans sucked themselves up tight and just like you, my rice didn’t.  I think it might be a common issue. There still might be some air in the bag, but just not much O2, so I doubt anything is wasted at all.

Maybe try more absorbers in the rice next time or just don’t worry about it.
View Quote

I'm gonna worry, that's what I do. But thanks..
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 11:35:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: tooly] [#24]
Originally Posted By Terriblis:
Linked below is the impulse sealer I have been using for the last 3+ years.
No issue and would buy it again.
The cost of it has increased by 53% since January 2019.

www.amazon.com/dp/B011TS45CA
View Quote

@Terriblis
Did ya get the 12 inch or 8?
And.....thank you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:07:36 PM EST
[#25]
@tooly

I have the 16" sealer.

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:57:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: wshbrngr] [#26]

View Quote

Sounds to me like your problem is NOT the bags not sealing correctly.
If they were not sealing correctly, you would be able to push down on the bag and air would be pushed out.  

Your issue is too much air left in the bag when you seal it, so they are not "sucking down" as you want them to.

Air is about 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen (and 1% other stuff), your O2 absorbers can only remove 21% of what's in the bag.
The leftover stuff are inert gases and not harmful. Unless the bags are really fat with air, the rice is going to be fine with the nitrogen in there.

However, if you want them sucked down tight, you need to squeeze more air out of the bag before you finish sealing it.

One way to do this is to seal across the bag except for maybe an inch, squeeze the remaining air out and then seal that last section.

Personally I have always had decent luck with an iron and a 2' metal level which is about the same size as a 1x2.
I seal my bags towards the end so I have room to reseal if needed.

** FYI unless you sealed them with no room leftover, the bags are not wasted, you can cut the old seal, remove and replace the O2 absorbers and reseal them.

and you can buy all the fancy sealers you want, but if there is too much air in there, you will have the same results.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:23:01 PM EST
[#27]
Originally Posted By Terriblis:
@tooly

I have the 16" sealer.

View Quote

Oh...ok, thank you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:26:10 PM EST
[#28]
Originally Posted By wshbrngr:

Sounds to me like your problem is NOT the bags not sealing correctly.
If they were not sealing correctly, you would be able to push down on the bag and air would be pushed out.  

Your issue is too much air left in the bag when you seal it, so they are not "sucking down" as you want them to.

Air is about 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen (and 1% other stuff), your O2 absorbers can only remove 21% of what's in the bag.
The leftover stuff are inert gases and not harmful. Unless the bags are really fat with air, the rice is going to be fine with the nitrogen in there.

However, if you want them sucked down tight, you need to squeeze more air out of the bag before you finish sealing it.

One way to do this is to seal across the bag except for maybe an inch, squeeze the remaining air out and then seal that last section.

Personally I have always had decent luck with an iron and a 2' metal level which is about the same size as a 1x2.
I seal my bags towards the end so I have room to reseal if needed.

** FYI unless you sealed them with no room leftover, the bags are not wasted, you can cut the old seal, remove and replace the O2 absorbers and reseal them.

and you can buy all the fancy sealers you want, but if there is too much air in there, you will have the same results.
View Quote

@wshbrngr

Ya know what...I think you're right!
Thank you very much!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 11:03:16 PM EST
[#29]
I use an iron with a hockey stick. I've only had 1 bag not seal properly. Even the rice sucked up nice
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 9:57:39 AM EST
[#30]
I'm cheap ass.
Clothes iron
Aluminum 2ft level.
Seal all but 1 corner.
Push all air out.
Fold and seal.
Done.
O2s don't make " air" vanish "
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 10:39:51 AM EST
[#31]
Originally Posted By protus:
I'm cheap ass.
Clothes iron
Aluminum 2ft level.
Seal all but 1 corner.
Push all air out.
Fold and seal.
Done.
O2s don't make " air" vanish "
View Quote

I like the level idea, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 12:42:26 PM EST
[#32]
View Quote

I use my foodsaver all the time to seal my mylar bags. I typically only use gallon sized mylar bags so they fit perfectly in the foodsaver. The suction runs for a couple seconds and then the heating part goes. I do run it a couple times to make sure the seal is good though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 4:25:20 PM EST
[#33]

View Quote

I was going to make an informed and experienced suggestion.

I'll pass.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 7:58:00 PM EST
[#34]
I tear up the flat iron hair straightener my wife uses
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 9:19:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: tooly] [#35]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

I was going to make an informed and experienced suggestion.

I'll pass.
View Quote

Good...move the hell on.
Let the door hit your ass on the way out. Not even gonna explain to you!
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 9:40:54 AM EST
[#36]
I do like the clam shell sealers - with the multiple ridges that can provide a good seal; esp on smaller bags.

In the past I would seal about 80% of the bag up; toss in the O2 absorbers and push down on the bag to help draw out a bit more air.

If you are sealing up bags stuffed into larger food grade buckets; it is easier to work on with one hand on the bag and the other on the iron.

Now if you are trying to do vac pack style seal.

Another benefit is that the smaller hand held one makes it an easy task to re-seal up a bag if you need to.

Example of the device; not the one I used.  generic mylar bag sealer - clamshell design

I find it funny that the example I picked at random shows plastic bags being sealed.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 9:41:16 PM EST
[#37]
We use an iron and a piece of round wood (1.25" dia. or so).  We can kind of roll the end of the bag to help get more air out and the round part makes a narrow line to heat and seal.  We run about 500cc absorbers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 6:41:17 AM EST
[#38]
Originally Posted By bradbn4:
I do like the clam shell sealers - with the multiple ridges that can provide a good seal; esp on smaller bags.

In the past I would seal about 80% of the bag up; toss in the O2 absorbers and push down on the bag to help draw out a bit more air.

If you are sealing up bags stuffed into larger food grade buckets; it is easier to work on with one hand on the bag and the other on the iron.

Now if you are trying to do vac pack style seal.

Another benefit is that the smaller hand held one makes it an easy task to re-seal up a bag if you need to.

Example of the device; not the one I used.  generic mylar bag sealer - clamshell design

I find it funny that the example I picked at random shows plastic bags being sealed.
View Quote

I just want a real good seal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top