Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2023 1:16:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tooly]
Iron crap leaves to much small creases. I'm looking for more of a real dedicated mylar bag sealer.
Any recommendations guys would be very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#2]
16 inch impulse sealer
Looks like the price has gone up by 30% since I bought one 4 years ago.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I started with a level and a iron and did okay - some failures.
Then I moved to a conair women's hair straightener - some failures
Then I felt spendy and used this purpose built model.  There are several versions on the same design.  I like the grid pattern - may have decreased my failure rate - not sure.

https://www.grainger.com/product/13F532?gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds

Lesson learned:  I'm not good at this no matter the tool.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm cheap, I use my Food Saver and just run the sealer thing two or three times.  I've got some rice and beans that are five or six years old and still holding vacuums.  I probably need to get rid of those old beans; even with a pressure cooker they get pretty meh.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Bought a impulse sealer on line.
Tried it twice and I didn’t like it.
Bought a curling iron and a iron.
Curling iron works best for me
Jm2c
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mobilty6:
Bought a impulse sealer on line.
Tried it twice and I didn’t like it.
Bought a curling iron and a iron.
Curling iron works best for me
Jm2c
View Quote

Really...impulse sealer coming today...Tried a hair straightener and it left lines in it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a flat iron.
Seals great
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
In my case it was a bit of a learning curve.
1. Don’t fill to full
2. I use 7ml Mylar so they are a bit stiffer
3. Bought quite a few absorbers from a popular website and half didn’t work. Thought I was doing something wrong
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I've always used an iron with no issues. I place a 1" piece of pvc or broom handle as a backing edge under the mylar. I make sure that it's flat on the backing edge, you can even roll it around the backing edge. Take your time and iron evenly.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By talan:
I've always used an iron with no issues. I place a 1" piece of pvc or broom handle as a backing edge under the mylar. I make sure that it's flat on the backing edge, you can even roll it around the backing edge. Take your time and iron evenly.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:41:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HangfiresGhost] [#11]

Have the same model purchased 30+ years ago, still kicking. Thermostat lets you dial the heat up or down for different materials.

Worth the price *to me* for not having to screw around with irons and yardsticks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top