BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's a big thing here in rural Indiana during FFA week.  There is a clear pecking order.

I have never sat on a tractor
I know how to drive one and borrowed one for today
I have my own tractor and use it on my hobby farm
My parents farm full time and I'm driving our biggest most expensive tractor
View Quote

He will be in category 3. Lol
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nice job with the father/son project!

Here's a link to what they looked like when new.

Beautiful 2N Restoration
View Quote

I don’t know if it will ever look that good but we hope to make it better
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Do kids actually show up on tractors with tracks?
View Quote

Ha ha!   I'm not in high school anymore, so will have to ask my daughter this spring to see if anyone brings in a quad track or 2-track.    My bet is no since the pavement chews up those tracks.

I'm going to try to convince her to drive the 2640, or maybe a 4240 for the fun of it, but don't think I'll convince her of it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ha ha!   I'm not in high school anymore, so will have to ask my daughter this spring to see if anyone brings in a quad track or 2-track.    My bet is no since the pavement chews up those tracks.

I'm going to try to convince her to drive the 2640, or maybe a 4240 for the fun of it, but don't think I'll convince her of it.
View Quote
Can you just imagine that conversation with junior?????
Dad, I shelled out $50K worth of rubber tracks on your $300K tractor turning a sharp corner in the high school parking lot . . .  But the JD on-site service guy only charged $12k to put it back on by 3:30p!!!

Edit to add:  I would have been ALL OVER a take your tractor to school day, but back in the day - we did not have a cab tractor, and no cabs would suck in the winter!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And he’s already set a goal of driving it to school next year on drive your tractor to school day
View Quote

Is that a National thing or just a local deal? Never heard of it, sounds awesome!
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's a big thing here in rural Indiana during FFA week.  There is a clear pecking order.

I have never sat on a tractor
I know how to drive one and borrowed one for today
I have my own tractor and use it on my hobby farm
My parents farm full time and I'm driving our biggest most expensive tractor
View Quote

I don’t see a problem here.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is that a National thing or just a local deal? Never heard of it, sounds awesome!
View Quote

I’m not sure. I just know it’s a pretty big deal here in Missouri I think it’s a pretty cool thing for the kids.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I’m not sure. I just know it’s a pretty big deal here in Missouri I think it’s a pretty cool thing for the kids.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure ours is sponsored by the local FFA chapter, so betting it is a semi-national thing in areas that still have a strong FFA organization.

Can't wait to see the pictures in this thread of your boy driving his to school!
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure ours is sponsored by the local FFA chapter, so betting it is a semi-national thing in areas that still have a strong FFA organization.

Can't wait to see the pictures in this thread of your boy driving his to school!
View Quote

I don’t loan out my tractors to anyone for anything but I think I’ll talk to the local ag teacher to see if this is a thing here.  I might have to make an exception for this for a deserving and responsible young man or woman.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was thinking more along the lines of "I live 13 miles from school."  And the tractor was this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/118038/Tractor-2278578.jpg

I woulda had to leave for school at like 4 in the morning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you just imagine that conversation with junior?????
Dad, I shelled out $50K worth of rubber tracks on your $300K tractor turning a sharp corner in the high school parking lot . . .  But the JD on-site service guy only charged $12k to put it back on by 3:30p!!!

Edit to add:  I would have been ALL OVER a take your tractor to school day, but back in the day - we did not have a cab tractor, and no cabs would suck in the winter!!

I was thinking more along the lines of "I live 13 miles from school."  And the tractor was this:

D17AC?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Allis CA? Would be my guess
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL!   I had to take the neighbors tractor to the John Deere shop about 7 miles away to get it worked on.  Part of the repair was getting the gear lever fixed since it was permanently in 2nd gear.   Even at PTO speed I think I never went more than about 10MPH.   That was a long cold drive!
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Well the guy we bought the tractor from found the original carb so we are getting it rebuilt and will take the aftermarket Chinese one off. We are still working on it but the boy is busy every night with track and civil air patrol so it just leaves the weekend since I got bumped back to afternoon shift
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Old fashioned tag.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Well got the starter out and the Welch plug was rusted through. We have one to replace it. Got the factory starter switch back in. I wanted the neutral safety working so he won’t run over himself starting it. Took the right front wheel off it is pretty shot looks like he will need to order a new one. Dad will chip in for another one that way he will have new rims all the way around. Some more to do and hopefully we can try and start it in a few weeks Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

National, and it's a big deal. Love the thread, OP!
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Well she got some new front shoes. Haven’t got them on the tractor yet I’ve been on 12 hour days. Going to an auction in the morning that has a Dearborn plow and a new holland rake he is after. The carburetor guy messaged and has it all rebuilt and will be shipping it back so hopefully we get the block flushed and the new Welch plugs in and it will be time to put a little gas in and try to fire the old girl Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well she got some new front shoes. Haven’t got them on the tractor yet I’ve been on 12 hour days. Going to an auction in the morning that has a Dearborn plow and a new holland rake he is after. The carburetor guy messaged and has it all rebuilt and will be shipping it back so hopefully we get the block flushed and the new Welch plugs in and it will be time to put a little gas in and try to fire the old girl https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/230179/9F281191-EC0F-4C8D-AD5F-BA5CDE71581D_jpe-2334632.JPG
View Quote

Spin her!

Spin her!

Spin her!
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#25]
In for updates!
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Well radiator in full of coolant, new hoses, wiring done, new battery cables, gave it a spin and she turns over. Looking at a way to set a little tank up to get her going before we put the hood and tank on. Really close. Fingers crossed I’ll have a video this weekend Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:33:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well radiator in full of coolant, new hoses, wiring done, new battery cables, gave it a spin and she turns over. Looking at a way to set a little tank up to get her going before we put the hood and tank on. Really close. Fingers crossed I’ll have a video this weekend https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/230179/3EF08BC9-1FAC-4469-93F4-8C0CDCBCF72F_jpe-2385467.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/230179/70CCE358-D0FF-4900-9CBA-2FCC9F18BD72_jpe-2385469.JPG
View Quote

I used to use a quart oil bottle with a gear oil spout and a piece of hose as a temporary tank just to test fire the engine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#29]
She is RUNNING!!!! I have one very excited you’re man. I have no idea how to post a video but we took one. Now to tackle the brakes and he should be raking hay this summer!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
She is RUNNING!!!! I have one very excited you’re man. I have no idea how to post a video but we took one. Now to tackle the brakes and he should be raking hay this summer!
View Quote

Good deal! The easy way is to upload the video to a host such as Imgur then post a link. Sometimes you can link it to the photo icon above the post and it will work.
Buck
Or

This was the quickest video I could find on my phone.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Good deal! You both have the right to be proud of what he has done, and what y'all have done together.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You might want to purchase his sees corn & fertilizer now rather than waiting until later.
View Quote

This. 50# of sunflowers were $49.95 and a bag of 10-10-10 was $20 a bag at our local feed and seed. Going up every week.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Good job OP. My father grew up plowing a mule and he thought those small tractors were Cadillacs. Proud for y’all. Those old tractor parts aren’t cheap.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top