Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2021 9:28:17 PM EDT
At least that’s what I’m trying to teach my kids. My son has been picking up black walnuts for 5 years. This year he got really serious and even had some shirts made and picked up a lot of places to pick. Well he ended up with 2473 pounds picked up. And he used the money to buy his first tractor to help with his feeder pig operation. Now we have to get the girl running and get a 2 acre field worked up so he can plant corn next year to feed his pigs
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome! How does he pick up the walnuts?
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool.  Love to hear those kinds of stories.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice 9n! And good on your son for working hard to earn the ability to buy stuff!

I love Ns for what they are. I use my 52 8n all the time. It's done everything I've asked of it. (Although I do make sure to keep my requests reasonable for a piece of equipment that literally replaced teams of horses. LOL)
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome! How does he pick up the walnuts?
View Quote

With a roller. And also his hands
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What a great old tractor!  And WOW.  Actually I'm surprised (knowing how much walnuts bring at the hulling stations) that he got that for walnut money.   Busted butt, for certain.

I wish he was anywhere near me. I would sell his services as part of what I offer in landscape maintenance.  A reliable subcontractor is an awesome thing.  He could have what I got paid for the work AND sell the walnuts too, cuz...I don't wanna do it.

That tractor looks an awful lot like my grandfather's old machine.
View Quote

Ya he got it for $500 because the guy couldn’t get it to start. But it just had a tune up with new plugs wires and points. I’m thinking the points are not set right. She needs some tlc but it will be a great father son project
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome! That's a lot of walnut picking!
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Full parenting win!

My boy and I partnered to start a square bale hay operation this year…not sure who’s learning more me or him
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#11]
That's a shit ton of walnuts

Link Posted: 11/21/2021 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Heck yeah. Great job to both of you!
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Great job Dad.
Your son has gumption!
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Well Santa found a deal on some front shoes for the 2n today. $20 on the clearance rackAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#16]
You might want to purchase his sees corn & fertilizer now rather than waiting until later.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Pretty happy boy this morning
New front tires a complete set of manuals and a tool set to be able to work on his tractor with his own tools Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#19]
in!

Grandpa farmed a lot with Ferguson TO-30s, which isn't far off the 2N  Fords!

I'm hopping to inherit one of his tractors that is still in the family to this day and I'm probably 3-4x the age of your son.

Kudos for him learning to wrench on it!
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Bad ass! That's good stuff!
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Awesome!

I have a jubilee that is old and well used, every time I go to use it, something is broken but when I fix it it fires up within 2 seconds of the turning the key and runs till I need it to turn off. They don't make things like they used to
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Awesome!

I have a jubilee that is old and well used, every time I go to use it, something is broken but when I fix it it fires up within 2 seconds of the turning the key and runs till I need it to turn off. They don't make things like they used to
View Quote

Same boat here with my 52 8n. I'm going up this morning to buy a new 6v battery, replacing the one I bought in Feb 2013. 8 years on a battery in a clapped out tractor stored in an unheated pole barn, in Michigan, that gets started and run far less than once a week, on average. It might sit months between uses in better weather.

It's no Kubota, but I don't need it to be, and I don't try to pretend that it is.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm proud of the boy! In for restoration pic's!
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I will note those were originally 6v volt positive ground, but who knows what has been changed on it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Awesome thread!
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I will note those were originally 6v volt positive ground, but who knows what has been changed on it.
View Quote

It is still 6v positive ground. I think we are going to convert it to 12 volt with the electronic ignition. He wants to put lights on it for chores and it would be easier to keep it all straight for him
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm proud of the boy! In for restoration pic's!
View Quote

It’s going to be a process but we will keep the thread updated
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File
Made a little head way today. We got cold so the coil and electronic ignition will have to wait for another day. But we did order new distributor gaskets and amp meter. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice!

Have you checked that kingpin for wear? His radius rods look like they've got a bit of a bow, which usually means a worn king pin. (Could just be the picture though)

The radius rods can be straightened with the creative use of a hydraulic jack, chains, and big beams and blocks. Use patience and go slow and you can return them to near perfect. Rush things and you'll get not-almost-perfect with a couple dents. (Ask me how I know )

King pin is easy if you're already torn down that far, and it will correct/prevent a lot of things later.

But beware of mission creep, or you'll end up with a fully restored museum piece that you won't want to use, and you'll have to buy another clapped out basket case as a "user," and then you'll decide to just fix that one part....
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Sorry for my ignorance but what’s the king pin? No there is a bunch that’s needs to be done, and we will have way more in it than it’s worth but hopefully he will think of dad when he fires it up years down the road. And the old girl is rough but we will have fun getting her back into shape
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#32]
The king pin is a solid pin that goes vertically through the front spindle and axle.  They can wear and the spindles can wobble.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:00:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The king pin is a solid pin that goes vertically through the front spindle and axle.  They can wear and the spindles can wobble.
View Quote

Yup.

FYI the arfcom of 8n tractors is yesterdaystractors.com. They have a forum and the 8n section is very active. The guys over there would LOVE the story of your son buying it with his walnut money. If you haven't already, I highly recommend registering there if you haven't already. FWIW I prefer the "modern view" on their discussion forum - makes it much easier to see.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Nice.  Does he have a target date to have it going or purely for fun?
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Tell the kid nice job and keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yup.

FYI the arfcom of 8n tractors is yesterdaystractors.com. They have a forum and the 8n section is very active. The guys over there would LOVE the story of your son buying it with his walnut money. If you haven't already, I highly recommend registering there if you haven't already. FWIW I prefer the "modern view" on their discussion forum - makes it much easier to see.
View Quote

I think it is worn. Kind of hard to see but that front “bushing” is welded in. I believe it is probably shot. We need to take it apart and see how it is. I’m going to pull the front wheels so we can get the new tires on and Check everything out in the front end. I want it safe and serviceable for him. I’ll check out the other forum.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Nice.  Does he have a target date to have it going or purely for fun?
View Quote

Not really just as time and money allows but would like to have it going before summer. Once we get it good mechanically we will probably paint back the correct color
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think it is worn. Kind of hard to see but that front “bushing” is welded in. I believe it is probably shot. We need to take it apart and see how it is. I’m going to pull the front wheels so we can get the new tires on and Check everything out in the front end. I want it safe and serviceable for him. I’ll check out the other forum.
View Quote

A few years back I tore into the worn out front end of my 70 year old JD M... By the time I was done buying used parts that were slightly better than mine, new bearings/bushings/etc., I spent the purchase price of the tractor a second time!  Oh well, it's a labor of love!  Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Got some wiring done and the EI put in. But the breaker plate ring is missing so I need to get one of those. Getting a parts order around and getting some new parts on the way Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#40]
It’s looking better!
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 2:31:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Nice job with the father/son project!

Here's a link to what they looked like when new.

Beautiful 2N Restoration
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nice job with the father/son project!

Here's a link to what they looked like when new.

Beautiful 2N Restoration
View Quote

Wow that is beautiful.

Why kind of fuel / additives need to be run in a gas engine of that era?
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

OP, when he gets that all fixed up, he will get asked to pull floats in parades.

Or at least, he would down here farther south.  

Let's just peer into the future:

Cheerleaders come up to your boy and say, "sigpros jr, you have the BEST tractor!  Would you pull our cheerleading float in the Fourth of July parade?" *bats eyelashes*

Ya, there's gonna be a lot of float participation, I predict.
View Quote

Yes you are right. He has a younger sister that plays basketball we went to her game and he had Civil Air Patrol right after. He wore is dress blues. He’s in 8th grade she’s in 7th. She complained for a week how all the girls kept coming up and telling her how good looking her brother is in that uniform. And he’s already set a goal of driving it to school next year on drive your tractor to school day
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Well another order of parts is on the credit card. Should have some more progress as soon as they get here
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#48]
What’s the difference between a 2N and a 8N?
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

"Drive your tractor to school day."

I LOVE that!

View Quote

That's a big thing here in rural Indiana during FFA week.  There is a clear pecking order.

I have never sat on a tractor
I know how to drive one and borrowed one for today
I have my own tractor and use it on my hobby farm
My parents farm full time and I'm driving our biggest most expensive tractor
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What’s the difference between a 2N and a 8N?
View Quote

9n was first in 1939. 2n was next 1942-1947 and was made cheaper for the war effort steel wheels no battery crank start etc then when stuff caught up those items came back. 8n was 1948 to the early 50’s. My sons is a 47 toward the end of production. It should be a battleship grey color. I’ve read that it might have been painted like it is at the dealership when it was new because they did that a lot to sell them so they looked like the new 8n. The 8n had a 4 speed transmission the 2n a 3 speed. Also the 8n has different wheels and hood. And a side mount distributor on later models. Probably some other things but that is what I know of. Learning as we go on this tractor
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top