Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2021 4:10:33 PM EDT

We are cattle ranchers, but I've never raised swine. We are generally just at war with them on the property.

His school has on-site facilities and I'll be able to help him a few times a week.

I've always understood that hogs eat damn near anything. We rarely eat anything processed and want to know what I should be setting aside for the hog. Its currently going straight to the compost bin.

Any other tips would be welcome, although my son's ag teacher is very knowledgeable.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#2]
For a "show" Duroc to win he needs to be walked everyday. The "wrinkles" in his side will show poorly. Ray Charles will see them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it going to be for show, or is he just raising the hog to eat? It will make a big difference, from what I understand the feed they buy for show hogs can really get expensive. I will try to ask my neighbor what his son fed his pigs for show, but it may be a couple of days. Tell your son good luck!
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it going to be for show, or is he just raising the hog to eat? It will make a big difference, from what I understand the feed they buy for show hogs can really get expensive. I will try to ask my neighbor what his son fed his pigs for show, but it may be a couple of days. Tell your son good luck!
View Quote

Yes....to show. I showed steers in high school, but stating him with a hog. 7th grade.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
As a Washington State University swine nutritionist said: how would you look if you ate garbage?"
Genetics and balanced diet.
We went with commercially milled feeds to ensure all needed protein, fat, amino acids, etc.
Have different mixes for protein needs for weaner and grower
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Test & tren.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, I haven't talked to the neighbor yet. I hope to hear something tonight. One thing I know for sure is that the hog needs to be walked. Teach him to walk with a "stick"(I'm sure they have an official name, but I don't know what it is) while the hog is young. They are smart. and strong! Clean bedding is a must also.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, they fed Moorman 18% until the hogs were 80 to 100 lbs., then switched to 16% high fat. I hope that makes sense, that was the info. he sent me. The guy they got their best hog from feeds this, and he has been raising show pigs to sell for years.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys.

He's currently on Sunglo and Purina High Octane Power Fuel.

My FFA buddy is dissuading us from giving him a lot of "treats" early on because the pig might slow down on the feed.

The facility is 5 minutes from my house and I have a key to the grounds. Its been easy for wife and I to take our son a couple times a day.

We are doing the stick training. My wife went to bathe and train this morning, but they made the mistake of putting feed in his trough first and then taking him out.

He was a wee bit stubborn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top