Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2021 6:42:59 PM EDT
Okay I have this old Sun Dolphin 8' bass buggy. It's the most used little boat on the place.

Don't be to hard on my carpet job. I am horrible with carpet.
I plan on putting rod lockers on both sides to protect my rods when I travel to some of my remote ponds. Plus it needs new seats. The old ones are starting to get brittle.
I have a 1436 Alumacraft that is going to be next once I get the buggy where I like it.

Theres the 1436 Jon to Bass/Crappie rig

We use it to spray for weeds.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Added one rod locker yesterday.

I forgot to get the picture PVC pipe I have running through the front support board.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I think I'm done with this little Creek and Pond Prowler.

I may wait till tomorrow to try it out. It got hot on me and I'm still running out of energy from My bought with the Rice Rabies. AC feels pretty good and the recliner is making me drowsy.  

I think I will pull the jon boat in next week.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Well it catches fish
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]

I started the Jon Boat project and got some framing done. Now I just need more aluminum.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Got the deck frame done. Now I need hinges and diamond plate.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#6]
You spray the lake for weeds!?!
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tankerboi:
You spray the lake for weeds!?!
View Quote

It's a strip pit and yeah every so many years we have to beat the weeds back.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 6:36:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting. That Jon boat looks like it will be awesome.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By tankerboi:
Interesting. That Jon boat looks like it will be awesome.
View Quote

I mentioned selling it a month or so back to a kid and my wife and daughter had a fit. So I figure I might as well make it a little more fishing friendly. Plus the raised deck will make it easier to place cedar trees for cover. Wife wants to Raptor line it with diamond plate. Now I have to wait till next Thursday for pay day.

As you can see it's a long narrow body of water. Around 200 yards long and 75 yards wide. We were spraying the floating moss.
Here's picture of the sediment pond. It's only about three feet deep over most of it and eight  feet deep at the deepest part.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Got the rod locker holes cut in. And the front hatches framed in.

I had som .043 left over from some old signs.

There's the rod tubes. I used a split piece fo scrap 1 1/2" PVC glued in place for a stop.

I used 1" foam insulation to make my floatation. I've heard people have had problems with the pour foam.

Both sides now have floatation. I know I could have gained space by removing the front bench foam but the boat is not rated for much weight. Oh I could not get the right size diamond sheet so I went with smooth surface. I think they call it Mill Finish. Now my wife and daughter are arguing on whether to do Hydro Turf or Raptor line. Oh well I'm waiting on hinges and some more angle aluminum.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Building some float pods one down the other is tacked together. Now I just need to find some 1/8x1 1/2” aluminum angle to finish my rod lockers. And probably one sheet of 0.063.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice.

Makes me wish I had bought a welder and had the money to do some upgrades.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Nice.

View Quote

I have been on a scavenger hunt for aluminum. It’s crazy I got the little WeldPro tig cheaper than the spool gun to fit my Hobart Iron man 210. The spool gun for the Iron Man 250 was cheaper and wasn’t interchangeable. Plus I’ve got to get the boat out of the shop. I picked up some flat straps today so maybe the front deck will come along shortly.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 3:27:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

I have been on a scavenger hunt for aluminum. It's crazy I got the little WeldPro tig cheaper than the spool gun to fit my Hobart Iron man 210. The spool gun for the Iron Man 250 was cheaper and wasn't interchangeable. Plus I've got to get the boat out of the shop. I picked up some flat straps today so maybe the front deck will come along shortly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Nice.

I have been on a scavenger hunt for aluminum. It's crazy I got the little WeldPro tig cheaper than the spool gun to fit my Hobart Iron man 210. The spool gun for the Iron Man 250 was cheaper and wasn't interchangeable. Plus I've got to get the boat out of the shop. I picked up some flat straps today so maybe the front deck will come along shortly.
In 2018 or 2019 a guy here had a full argon bottle,spool gun and a nice Miller welder for the price of $3500.

Was a killer deal but we just could not swing it.

Will be nice to see the final project.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Got a bit more done but I ran out of argon and the welding supply shop closed early. I’m waiting for another sheet of aluminum and some 1 1/2” angle. Looks like I’m going to need more countersunk rivet’s. I did get the weld on handles for the float pods.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Got a the pods welded on today. Now I need some more angle and plate.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Sun Dolphin Sportsman 8 as well and I've been enjoying the heck out of it. Might steal your idea of making the sides into storage compartments.

Got a package deal...a 55 lb thrust Newport Vessels troller, a functional deep cycle RV/Marine battery, and some other things for $500.

I bought a little 4hp (more like 2hp) Hangkai 4 stroke outboard for it and upgraded the battery to a lithium.

It's a fantastic little river fishing rig. Easy to handle and goes places a lot of other boats wouldn't.

I plan to put it to very good use this summer.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2023 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By this_jasper:
I have a Sun Dolphin Sportsman 8 as well and I've been enjoying the heck out of it. Might steal your idea of making the sides into storage compartments.

Got a package deal...a 55 lb thrust Newport Vessels troller, a functional deep cycle RV/Marine battery, and some other things for $500.

I bought a little 4hp (more like 2hp) Hangkai 4 stroke outboard for it and upgraded the battery to a lithium.

It's a fantastic little river fishing rig. Easy to handle and goes places a lot of other boats wouldn't.

I plan to put it to very good use this summer.  

View Quote

The nice thing about the rod boxes is when I’m going through the woods to some ponds the limbs don’t grab the rods. Tiny boat had another I think ten foot prowler build.

We modded the Pond Prowler?!? pt.1

We have several ponds that are good size and it’s the most used boat I have.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I guess I should check this section of the forum more often. Sorry if I am resurrection an old thread. It is amazing what people do with these little pond hopper type boats.

I have a 10' Bass Pro version (made by Sun Dolphin) that is great for all of the small conservation area lakes and farm ponds around me. I haven't done any mods to mine yet other than adding a few essentials to it. I didn't want to take up space so I bought a couple of collapsible oars. I also added a couple of light anchors. One is store bough for mud and the other is just an old window weight.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
I guess I should check this section of the forum more often. Sorry if I am resurrection an old thread. It is amazing what people do with these little pond hopper type boats.

I have a 10' Bass Pro version (made by Sun Dolphin) that is great for all of the small conservation area lakes and farm ponds around me. I haven't done any mods to mine yet other than adding a few essentials to it. I didn't want to take up space so I bought a couple of collapsible oars. I also added a couple of light anchors. One is store bough for mud and the other is just an old window weight.
View Quote

You can’t believe how nice they are once you add a trailer to where you can pull them with a buggy. That is the one mod I would recommend as you get older.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#22]

You can't believe how nice they are once you add a trailer to where you can pull them with a buggy. That is the one mod I would recommend as you get older.
View Quote
I already have a trailer for my boat. I am using a cheap 4x8 Harbor freight trailer with a piece of 3/4" marine grade plywood on it. I also added some side rails to the trailer. The HF 4x8 trailers work great for small pond hopper type boats.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
I already have a trailer for my boat. I am using a cheap 4x8 Harbor freight trailer with a piece of 3/4" marine grade plywood on it. I also added some side rails to the trailer. The HF 4x8 trailers work great for small pond hopper type boats.
View Quote

Yeah they do. I need to get mine in the water.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Well decided to work on the back deck now that it is miserable hot.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Got a little more done. I got one of my lids to tight. My dyslexic brain has trouble some days.🥴
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#26]
https://i.imgur.com/dX8YfsD.jpg
Got a little more done. I got one of my lids to tight. My dyslexic brain has trouble some days.[/quote

I made my floor board a bit tight.
Heck of a time getting it back out.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 9:27:56 AM EDT
[#27]
https://i.imgur.com/dX8YfsD.jpg
Got a little more done. I got one of my lids to tight. My dyslexic brain has trouble some days.[/quote

I made my floor board a bit tight.
Heck of a time getting it back out.
View Quote

I figured out boats are like old houses. They aren’t square.🫤
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top