Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2020 2:06:48 AM EDT
I've talked about my go everywhere/end of the world gun in other threads, but I realised I'd never really done any pics.
I keep my little travel kit in a old SAW pouch.
Attachment Attached File

My end of the world handgun is a Glock 32 upper on a polymer 80 frame with an alpha wolf 9mm conversion barrel in it. I've fired over 2000 rounds through it with nary a hiccup. I carry several loaded 17 and 19 round mags in the kit as well.
I also carry a stock 357 sig barrel and a stock 40s&w barrel and one 13 round mag and a 15 rounder in 357/40 kept unloaded in the pouch.
Also in the kit is a AA 22 conversion kit with 2 loaded mags.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I also some odd tools and things that might come in handy. Leatherman Surge, spyderco Endura, small crescent wrench, magnesium fire starter, gloves, work sharp field sharpener and (dont laugh the bastards work) thumb cuffs.
Attachment Attached File

I dont carry any 40/357 ammo in the kit to keep the kit somewhat light, but I still have the flexibility if I find any or as in the case of the last ammo panic where there was no 9mm to be found but 40 and 357 sig were available. And to eliminate confusion in a high stress environment I have them laid flat along the bottom with the 22 mags while the loaded 9mm mags are all oriented for an easier grab.

Just thought I'd share my take on a ready for anything handgun.

ETA; I also carry a little headlamp in the kit that somehow got excluded from the pics. Its nothing special, just a little Walmart cheapie. Also, the 22 ammo is cci standard velocity. I just use the old Remington box to give the ammo a sturdier container than the cardboard boxes the cci comes in.
The 9mm ammo is 147 gr ranger T's
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.  I've done something similar with my a P329.  This started out as more toy than tool but at this point I’ve run enough ammo through it that I wouldn’t hesitate to carry it if I needed to.  The pistol will reliably function with 9mm, .40 S&W or .357 Sig with nothing but a barrel swap.  The Sig .40 S&W mags work fine with 9mm (although I do have a couple of 9mm mags put back).  I can only take so much with me in the BOB, so if I end up scrounging for ammo I want to be able to use what I find.

In case I want to be sneaky.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice work, thats a good, versatile set up.

A couple suggestions:

Here's a handy alternative option for .22lr that may let you carry a bit more ammo:
https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Leather-Squeeze-change-Distressed/dp/B075J9DLMB/

I also think a flashlight / weapon light + batteries would be worth including.

Also, some sort of holster perhaps?
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice setup, OP.  Thought this was gonna be an HK 4 thread.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I also think a flashlight / weapon light + batteries would be worth including.

Also, some sort of holster perhaps?
View Quote
It has a Milt Sparks summer special 2 in there currently for a holster,  but I do need to order a kydex holster for a polymer 80 with a tlr7 mounted. I have a few for my 19's, but I need one that fits a 80 frame.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Thought about doing something like that with my most awesome 10mm G29.

Buy three aftermarket 'drop-in' barrels in .40S&W, .357Sig, and 9x25 Dillon.

That gains me ONE gun with FOUR cartridge options ...

After that, it's plug & play.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice, I have a Glock 22 with 9mm and 22LR conversions.  The 9mm lives in it and I keep the other barrels/slide and mags in a similar pouch.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 6:24:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Back a few decades ago I think the glock 21 was winner at this game.

It is 45 acp to start with.  Can get 10mm conversion barrel and use stock 10mm mags.

10mm mags work well with the 40 and 357 sig conversion barrels is my understanding.

Back when  there was even a 9mm conversion barrel but reliable mag feeding was a bit of an issue.

Add in a 22lr conversion and there you go.

After researching and learning the above, and pricing it, I backed off.

I have 9mm conversion barrel for my glock 22.  9mm runs in the glock 22 mags ok but 9mm mags are cheap to buy on sale.

I never warmed up to the 357 sig so I don't worry about it.

Everyone should have a 22lr conversion kit, or wait and see how the new glock 44 in 22lr turns out.

On edit, Reckon the 22lr conversion may run single shot on 22 shorts and longs perhaps.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 6:05:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate this post; really makes you think.

I'm planning to pick up a Glock 22. I have a Glock 23 with a 9mm barrel and .22 conversion, but I also have an unused G17/G22 RONI STAB chassis I want to throw a used Glock 22 in.  I would likely mostly use a 9mm conversion barrel, but having the .40S&W option isn't a bad idea either.  Also, a Sig .357 barrel would give you a slightly better option for hunting.  It could be concealed or used in the RONI chassis for a much more stable PDW type platform.

I could really see a small package like this as something to toss in the truck for those "what if' scenarios....likely never to happen, but a pretty versatile and capable package if you had to go on foot and go light.  I would surmise 9mm and 40S&W to be far more popular, but a .22LR conversion kit is another option where the ammo is extremely common in rural areas.  Not so sure about 357 Sig, but I would likely just carry a few mags of performance ammo that would be used for hunting larger game...just figure the flatter trajectory and if dialed in with an optic on the RONI chassis would be a good option out to 50-75 meters.  While there are better options for larger predatory game.  A 40S&W, 200 gr. hardcast round is nothing to sneeze at, and it's what I carry in my G23 when in the more bear-dense Cohutta wilderness area in GA.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 1:06:20 AM EDT
[#9]
If wanting the ability to run 357 sig if you find some, by all means add another barrel.

Way back when, couple decades, I was talking myself out of this and that part of the talk concerned the +p and +p+ 9mm stuff you can sometimes find.

Not sure +p+ is a real and reliable rating cause it has been a while since I researched it and what not.

To some extent I also played the game of longer than stock barrel to make the most of this and that.

Back to the 45acp, 45 super and 460 rowland might be options for it as well.

During the doubletap sale I bought some of the 200gr 40s&w ammo.

With current prices for police trade in glock 22s and police trade in 15 rd glock factory mags I just find stocking 40s&w easy cause right now 40 ammo is comparable in cost to 9mm when talking hollow point ammo.  I readily admit 9mm ball ammo is cheaper than 40s&w ball ammo, but that is the main reason I bought a wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my glock 22.

A whole lotta discussions from the past 20+ years are not changed forever with wally world not stocking handgun ammo once all their contracts runout or they donate the ammo or whatever.

If you are willing to dismantle ammo and "scrounge" things to reload for your gun you can play all sorts of games on top of the barrel game.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Great post!  I find this type of package to potentially be much more useful than most, and easy to carry for various worst case scenarios.

This winter I will be completely revamping and simplifying my BOB and GHB.  I find posts like this with pictures very inspiring!
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Back a few decades ago I think the glock 21 was winner at this game.

It is 45 acp to start with.  Can get 10mm conversion barrel and use stock 10mm mags.

10mm mags work well with the 40 and 357 sig conversion barrels is my understanding.

View Quote
True, 10mm Glock mags will reliably run the .40S&W, .357Sig, and 9x25 Dillon cartridges.

But it's also true that if you found a need or reason to 'convert' from .45acp to 10mm, then the 10mm was the correct cartridge to have started with in the first place.

Link Posted: 1/13/2020 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I appreciate this post; really makes you think.

I'm planning to pick up a Glock 22. I have a Glock 23 with a 9mm barrel and .22 conversion, but I also have an unused G17/G22 RONI STAB chassis I want to throw a used Glock 22 in.  I would likely mostly use a 9mm conversion barrel, but having the .40S&W option isn't a bad idea either.  Also, a Sig .357 barrel would give you a slightly better option for hunting.  It could be concealed or used in the RONI chassis for a much more stable PDW type platform.

I could really see a small package like this as something to toss in the truck for those "what if' scenarios....likely never to happen, but a pretty versatile and capable package if you had to go on foot and go light.  I would surmise 9mm and 40S&W to be far more popular, but a .22LR conversion kit is another option where the ammo is extremely common in rural areas.  Not so sure about 357 Sig, but I would likely just carry a few mags of performance ammo that would be used for hunting larger game...just figure the flatter trajectory and if dialed in with an optic on the RONI chassis would be a good option out to 50-75 meters.  While there are better options for larger predatory game.  A 40S&W, 200 gr. hardcast round is nothing to sneeze at, and it's what I carry in my G23 when in the more bear-dense Cohutta wilderness area in GA.

ROCK6
View Quote
I considered the same. I have a Glock 31 in a Roni and a 9mm Barrel. Just need to add an extra .40 barrel.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've talked about my go everywhere/end of the world gun in other threads, but I realised I'd never really done any pics.
I keep my little travel kit in a old SAW pouch.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/317677/20200104_235555_jpg-1221602.JPG
My end of the world handgun is a Glock 32 upper on a polymer 80 frame with an alpha wolf 9mm conversion barrel in it. I've fired over 2000 rounds through it with nary a hiccup. I carry several loaded 17 and 19 round mags in the kit as well.
I also carry a stock 357 sig barrel and a stock 40s&w barrel and one 13 round mag and a 15 rounder in 357/40 kept unloaded in the pouch.
Also in the kit is a AA 22 conversion kit with 2 loaded mags.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/317677/20200104_235628_jpg-1221606.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/317677/20200105_000059_jpg-1221607.JPG
I also some odd tools and things that might come in handy. Leatherman Surge, spyderco Endura, small crescent wrench, magnesium fire starter, gloves, work sharp field sharpener and (dont laugh the bastards work) thumb cuffs.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/317677/20200105_000506_jpg-1221616.JPG

I dont carry any 40/357 ammo in the kit to keep the kit somewhat light, but I still have the flexibility if I find any or as in the case of the last ammo panic where there was no 9mm to be found but 40 and 357 sig were available. And to eliminate confusion in a high stress environment I have them laid flat along the bottom with the 22 mags while the loaded 9mm mags are all oriented for an easier grab.

Just thought I'd share my take on a ready for anything handgun.

ETA; I also carry a little headlamp in the kit that somehow got excluded from the pics. Its nothing special, just a little Walmart cheapie. Also, the 22 ammo is cci standard velocity. I just use the old Remington box to give the ammo a sturdier container than the cardboard boxes the cci comes in.
The 9mm ammo is 147 gr ranger T's
View Quote
I have a homemade 25 caliber cannon "folding hand gonne" that looks almost exactly like that fire starter, I had to do a double take.

ETA it also has a folding knife next to it.

ETA #2 I used to have a glock 21 with an extra Glock 20 upper and barrels in 10mm (obviously) and 40, 357sig, and 9x25dillon.

It was sweet.

I should have looked for a 22lr conversion too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#14]
You should have a light with that kit.  A TRL1?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You should have a light with that kit.  A TRL1?
View Quote
I have a headlamp in the kit and ALWAYS carry a light in my pocket, but you're right of course.  I have a couple of TLR7's that live on my edc 19 and one on my HD 19x respectively. I need to pick up a light bearing kydex holster for my polymer 80 and either throw one of the  tlr7's on it or buy another streamlight.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, thanks for posting this. I read it the other day and have been thinking about it ever since. I even discussed it with some of my guys at work today and they all had that same "wow, why didn't I think of that" moment I did. Lol.

My my edc is a g19 with a g42 backup, but I'll be doing it on a g21 45. You said you have stock 40 and 357 sig barrels on top of your 9mm conversion.  Do the stock barrels work? I had assumed not, and thus the need for the conversion barrels. I was thinking 10mm, .40, and 357 sig as backups for versatility.  I'll probably change the stock 45 barrel to a threaded barrel because I do shoot suppressed often.  I've seen a few videos about the need to change the extractor for use on the 10, but if it's not a full time barrel I'm not sure it's really necessary. I'll keep digging, but you planted the seed, so I both love and hate you right now!

Edit: just remembered the 32 was a 357 sig so disregard that but what about the stock 40?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:24:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OP, thanks for posting this. I read it the other day and have been thinking about it ever since. I even discussed it with some of my guys at work today and they all had that same "wow, why didn't I think of that" moment I did. Lol.

My my edc is a g19 with a g42 backup, but I'll be doing it on a g21 45. You said you have stock 40 and 357 sig barrels on top of your 9mm conversion.  Do the stock barrels work? I had assumed not, and thus the need for the conversion barrels. I was thinking 10mm, .40, and 357 sig as backups for versatility.  I'll probably change the stock 45 barrel to a threaded barrel because I do shoot suppressed often.  I've seen a few videos about the need to change the extractor for use on the 10, but if it's not a full time barrel I'm not sure it's really necessary. I'll keep digging, but you planted the seed, so I both love and hate you right now!

Mediterranean: just remembered the 32 was a 357 sig so disregard that but what about the stock 40?
View Quote
Lol.    Alot of people here have helped me spend money on stuff I wasn't even aware I needed so I'm glad to pass it around.

That said my glock began life as a 32 in 357 sig. I can change it to 40 s&w by simply changing to an oem 40 barrel. The magazines stay the same.
To change to 9mm (the format it is usually in) I change out the barrel to a 9mm conversion barrel and use 9mm magazines.
I've found that the 357/40 mags will work for 9mm, but it's not 100%. Using the correct 9mm glock magazines mine has been totally reliable with just the conversion barrel and mag swap.

And of course the Advantage Arms 22 conversion kit changes out the slide/barrel/top end and the magazines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top