Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2019 6:44:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#1]
If it has a water inlet tube/pipe, make sure it actually goes back in correctly when you reinstall the lower end.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Lube the impeller and housing with dish soap to make impeller

install easier. Make sure the impeller blades are oriented properly (engine turns

clockwise looking at it from the top). Don't forget the key that locks the impeller

to the driveshaft.

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 5:59:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bucket-Back] [#3]
Guess you already did this

Should be close to same motor.

2 stroke mercury 25hp installing a new outboard water pump, impeller and coldstart
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I have replaced the one on my Yamaha 90 four stroke a couple times.

Turned out to be fairly easy after watching a few videos.

Link Posted: 6/13/2020 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Take a pic of the impeller before you take it out of the casing so you know which way to twist it when you put it back in.

On bigger motors, a ratchet strap over the top of the cowling will help hold the lower unit as you get it aligned and reconnected when you go to put it back together.

Link Posted: 6/27/2020 5:10:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KBAD:
Take a pic of the impeller before you take it out of the casing so you know which way to twist it when you put it back in.

On bigger motors, a ratchet strap over the top of the cowling will help hold the lower unit as you get it aligned and reconnected when you go to put it back together.

View Quote

The driveshaft always rotates clockwise looking from the top.

Ratchet strap is a rookie thing.

I can't count the number of large V6 gearcases I've stabbed by myself. Doing one on the back of a houseboat, in the water,

is really fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top