Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2021 8:39:21 AM EDT
Back when I was a young man I bought a budget rifle for hunting deer. My idea was to get a 30-06 and use it to hunt everything. Deer, bear, moose, a trip to Africa, etc.

Now I am a bit older and I can appreciate and afford a nicer rifle.  

I really want to get a nice tikka or a Bergera rifle.  Something $800-1200.

But the problem I have is that I love my budget gun.  I’ve take 6 deer with it.  I have plans to take a bear this upcoming year with it.

Anyone else fighting nostalgia and have a weird sense of loyalty to a gun?  

Link Posted: 11/8/2021 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a better trigger and bbl for the gun you have.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#2]
One of my favorite rifles is a 'beater'. Bought used, looks rough, needed some work, starting to wear out but it shoots well, reliable, fits me well and I'm pleased with it's appearance.  I would still take it over my more expensive guns.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an older Weatherby Mark V in 270Win topped w/ a Redfield 6x. I use it for anything larger than a coyote. Between this and my 204 Ruger I'm covered.

If you want a new rifle, buy a new rifle. You don't need a reason
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#4]
20+ years ago I bought an A+Bolt in 7mm mag.  It was so I could kill anything in North America.  My bugdet was not what it is today, and I never could have afforded different rifles for different hunts/animals. It has killed the majority of Whitetails I have killed in PA.  I picked up various rifles over the years, but that old Browning still holds a special place in my heart.    

I took a .300 WM to CO this year and shot an elk with it.  Kinda felt like I was cheating on the Browning......

You mentioned two others you are interested in. I recently dropped a fair amount of change on a Bergara, and I also want a Tikka.  I absolutely love the Bergara and can't wait to hunt with it.  

I suppose it is like that first girlfriend that you swear you will never get over...... eventually you do and you learn to enjoy the new girlfriend.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
Back when I was a young man I bought a budget rifle for hunting deer. My idea was to get a 30-06 and use it to hunt everything. Deer, bear, moose, a trip to Africa, etc.

Now I am a bit older and I can appreciate and afford a nicer rifle.  

I really want to get a nice tikka or a Bergera rifle.  Something $800-1200.

But the problem I have is that I love my budget gun.  I’ve take 6 deer with it.  I have plans to take a bear this upcoming year with it.

Anyone else fighting nostalgia and have a weird sense of loyalty to a gun?  

View Quote

You want a nicer rifle, yeah, I get it.

But what difference does it make? Your game doesn’t care.

Are you limited by a too short or long barrel? Does the trigger make you pull shots? Is the throat clapped out? Is the barrel too thin to thread?

If it works, it works.

If you have to ask like that, I have to ask you, to quantify your need. Because obviously your qualitative analysis says to keep ole reliable.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#6]
The first gun I ever bought myself was a Savage, stainless steel 30-06 with accu trigger. It’s utterly utilitarian, just doesn’t do anything for me aesthetically.

I have lever actions, flintlock rifles, other bolt guns, modern sport utility rifles… It’s my rifle that I pick when I’m in a stand with long sight lines, when the weather is foul, when I’m boating in to a hunting spot.  I have stacked up a mountain of whitetails with that Savage.

I’ve passed on good deals on other rifles (most recently a stainless tikka in .308) because the Savage already fills that need.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By shotar:
The question is are you seeking the nicer newer rifle to impress yourself or your hunting buddies? Very few hunting rifles are more accurate or reliable than a Savage Axis, but many look a lot nicer.  As I've gotten older, I have come to the point where results are all that matter. I'd rather spend money on better glass than a trendy rifle.
View Quote

No. I mostly hunt alone and I’m not one to try to impress others. Current rifle is a ruger american.  
Just trying to find something nicer and a bit more accurate.  Potentially for use out west with longer shots.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you bedded the action & free-floated the bbl?
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 8:20:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MattR] [#10]
i just went through this. People on here said keep yours, rebarrel, etc.

My first rifle was an A-bolt in 243. Then an older 30-06 model 700 that is kind of fuddy. My next rifle was my first deer rifle purchase that my dad didnt buy. It is a win m70 in 270 WSM. I put a new B&C stock, bottom metal, etc. Its very accurate as well but didnt do it for me still. Bought a cheap TC Compass in 6.5cm to try the caliber and liked it. Then bought a Tikka CTR in 6.5cm as a more capable gun and killed 20+ deer with it. I like how handy it is, but its heavy and I regularly have deer run (and die) with the caliber. Decided on a Bergara B14 in 308 for target shooting. Its a fine rifle but heavy and not as smooth as the Tikka.

Just got a Seekins Havak in 300wm and love it. Beast of a caliber, light, and more accurate than me. Only issue is that it tears up meat. Having a stable of choices is nice and having chest of tools is sometimes better than having a Leatherman multi-tool. I'll admit that I dont have kids and have good job, so have a little extra to buy guns. It's fun to get a new gun even if your old ones work just like with cars.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Very few hunting rifles are more accurate or reliable than a Savage Axis, but many look a lot nicer.
View Quote

Thats a rather bold statement….
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Why not dress up the lady with a sweet stock from boyds?

Red
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 11:39:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3BP] [#14]

Bold but, accurate.
View Quote

No pun intended I am sure.....

The guy wants a new rifle and apparently can afford it.  Why not encourage it?  I just bought a new one myself.  Don't "need" it, but I was sick of wanting it and saved up enough on the side that purchasing it did nothing to effect any other aspect of my life.  I dont want to 70 years old and wishing I had done this and that.

I have seen too many guys say "tomorrow", "next week", "next year", only to regret never having done something.  

OP - Make sure you can seure an adequate amount of ammo for whatever you are after, and DO IT!  You will be happy you did.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Budget rifles work well.  I tend to buy nicer guns, but most of my friends who hunt aren't really "gun guys" and they have budget stuff like Ruger Americans and Savage Axis'.  The truth is the budget guns will perform just about as well as the nicer guns.  I sight my friend's Ruger American in 450 BM in for him every year and it shoots just as well as my Bergara B14 HMR in 450 Bushmaster, and depending on the load even outshoots it.  The Bergara has a much nicer stock and much nicer action, but fit and function aside when the shooting happens they're equals.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#17]

I'm all for anyone buying anything they want.
View Quote

That was a general statement, and not directed at you.  I too and all about anyone getting whatever they want, whether it be a base budget rifle or a crazy expensive custom rifle.  As long as the individual is happy, that is what matters.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
Budget rifles work well.  I tend to buy nicer guns, but most of my friends who hunt aren't really "gun guys" and they have budget stuff like Ruger Americans and Savage Axis'.  The truth is the budget guns will perform just about as well as the nicer guns.  I sight my friend's Ruger American in 450 BM in for him every year and it shoots just as well as my Bergara B14 HMR in 450 Bushmaster, and depending on the load even outshoots it.  The Bergara has a much nicer stock and much nicer action, but fit and function aside when the shooting happens they're equals.
View Quote

I agree completely.  I shot my Bergara the other day after confirming zero on another guy's rifle for him.  It was a basic savage (no accutrigger), in .308, with a Bushnell 3-9 on it.  He purchased it as a package, and it might have even been an axis???  I really don't know.  It felt like a hot pile of dog snot compared to my Bergara (trigger sucked, stock was "meh" at best, scope was pretty bad, action was wretched), but it shot pretty darn well at 100 yards.  

It was like driving my son's 2004 compact compared to my 21 F150.  They both can get us where we need to go, one is just much more pleasurable to "drive".
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By badredfish:
Why not dress up the lady with a sweet stock from boyds?

Red
View Quote

@20229mm

Wanted to know if you saw this suggestion?  Boyds does make some really pretty stocks.....

I do love the my Ruger Hawkeye in a pepper laminate stock and stainless - pretty is as pretty does!

I have always lusted after high end guns - having a Beautiful blued 1911 in 45 that I would take to the range, home clean, and into a pistol case....vs watching my buddy carry his Glock 24/7 shooting the piss out of it and putting it away with out ever cleaning it....kind of changed my thought process - get what you want, use what you want, and in the end it is a tool - use it like one...

Show us some pics!

Red

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Sentimental guns are great! But fortunately they don’t get jealous of interlopers in the safe. I have a couple that will never leave my possession. But I have a lot of others I can shoot as the desire presents itself.

I just bought a Tikka in veilcamo for my son. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. A little tip on buying one. Watch the listings on gunbroker for a couple weeks. They “sell” for $1,200 normally but if you watch the auctions you can get one cheaper. I got my sons PRC for $890.

You never know if you are missing your new favorite if you don’t try…
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#21]
With a budget like $1200, I’d look at something more special, like a 60’s era Sako Deluxe or something. Those are something you just can’t order from your local gun shop, and they appreciate in value.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#22]

@20229mm

Wanted to know if you saw this suggestion?  Boyds does make some really pretty stocks.....

I do love the my Ruger Hawkeye in a pepper laminate stock and stainless - pretty is as pretty does!

I have always lusted after high end guns - having a Beautiful blued 1911 in 45 that I would take to the range, home clean, and into a pistol case....vs watching my buddy carry his Glock 24/7 shooting the piss out of it and putting it away with out ever cleaning it....kind of changed my thought process - get what you want, use what you want, and in the end it is a tool - use it like one...

Show us some pics!

Red

View Quote

I’m thinking that’s the plan. Gonna see if they are holding a Black Friday sale this year.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#23]
very cool - glad that you liked the Idea....

Please so post pictures - I have an old ruger m77 in 30-06 wished I did the stock when they had that in their line....

I just do not like the gun - to me it kicks like a mule - might be the sorry butt pad that it on the gun.

Red
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By badredfish:  very cool - glad that you liked the Idea....

Please so post pictures - I have an old ruger m77 in 30-06 wished I did the stock when they had that in their line....

I just do not like the gun - to me it kicks like a mule - might be the sorry butt pad that it on the gun.

Red
View Quote

Maybe rebarrel in 6.5 Creedmoor?
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#25]

No. I mostly hunt alone and I’m not one to try to impress others. Current rifle is a ruger american.  
Just trying to find something nicer and a bit more accurate.  Potentially for use out west with longer shots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
The question is are you seeking the nicer newer rifle to impress yourself or your hunting buddies? Very few hunting rifles are more accurate or reliable than a Savage Axis, but many look a lot nicer.  As I've gotten older, I have come to the point where results are all that matter. I'd rather spend money on better glass than a trendy rifle.

How accurate is your rifle?  What are you shooting through it?  Do you handload?  Are you planning to change caliber?

If  you want an objective improvement in accuracy I'd suggest first defining how accurate is your current rifle.  Then assess what kind of accuracy you need  If you only shoot factory ammo, you are going to be at the mercy of factory ammo.  There's no guarantee that a more expensive rifle will automatically be noticeably more accurate with every brand of ammo, or even your favorite ammo.

If you want another rifle then buy another rifle.  If you want a "nicer" rifle, then buy what you want.  But buying a more accurate rifle is, IMHO, a little different than simply buying another rifle.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#26]
My hunting boom sticks get beat to hell and back.  

Buy yourself a nice rifle, you have earned it...but don't forget who got you where you are today.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Hey OP - does the lady have a new dress yet?

Please do post up some before and after pics

Red
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I am going to tell you the same thing any African PH is going to tell you.

Take the rifle you have to Africa.
You want to take the rifle you are most comfortable with to a place that 1) Things that you shoot can and will fight you, even plains game.
2) if you hit an animal on any part, your tag is filled.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey OP - does the lady have a new dress yet?

Please do post up some before and after pics

Red
View Quote

Not yet.  Waiting to see if Boyd’s does a Black Friday or cyber Monday deal.  
So far they have the “early Black Friday sale” and only have a discount on checkering and recoil padding options. Both aren’t really a concern to me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 3:06:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought a Ruger M77 from a neighbor guy when I was 18 and still living at my parents house.

It's got an old Weaver fixed 4x scope on it and shoots absolutely lights out with most rounds I've put through it...clovers at 100 on more than one occasion.  

I want a new rifle bad...I look at new scopes every single year...go back and forth over what fancy new caliber it will be chambered in...but every year that M77 30-06/weaver combo take to the woods with me and has killed everything I put those fine crosshairs on.  

I bought that rifle, a 10/22, both with cases, scopes, ammo...a bunch of stuff for $250.  He walked over one day and asked if I was interested in buying some guns...knew I was into shooting and his new wife didn't want guns in the house so he was getting rid of them.  When he told me what they were and what he wanted for them...I couldn't get to the bank fast enough.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By eclark53520:
I bought a Ruger M77 from a neighbor guy when I was 18 and still living at my parents house.

It's got an old Weaver fixed 4x scope on it and shoots absolutely lights out with most rounds I've put through it...clovers at 100 on more than one occasion.  

I want a new rifle bad...I look at new scopes every single year...go back and forth over what fancy new caliber it will be chambered in...but every year that M77 30-06/weaver combo take to the woods with me and has killed everything I put those fine crosshairs on.  

I bought that rifle, a 10/22, both with cases, scopes, ammo...a bunch of stuff for $250.  He walked over one day and asked if I was interested in buying some guns...knew I was into shooting and his new wife didn't want guns in the house so he was getting rid of them.  When he told me what they were and what he wanted for them...I couldn't get to the bank fast enough.
View Quote

It is great to find someone who appreciates it to sell a good one to. I have been hooked up more than once and hooked people up more than once. What goes around comes around.

As far as looking at scopes, etc, remember the adage: if it ain’t broke don’t fixit!
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 1:28:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

It is great to find someone who appreciates it to sell a good one to. I have been hooked up more than once and hooked people up more than once. What goes around comes around.

As far as looking at scopes, etc, remember the adage: if it ain’t broke don’t fixit!
View Quote

He actually still lives in the same house and my mom still lives across from him.  I actually saw him maybe 2 years ago and offered to sell him those guns back at the same price I paid if he was interested.  I know they hold sentimental value to him.  

He said he still has the same wife, so still no guns in the house.  

Sad, I like the guy, and I know he was lonely, but fuck if I would give up my guns for a woman.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Being short I kind of keep an eye out for barreled actions so I can stock them with a custom stock to fit me.

Many a time I have been tempted to buy a classic and then pause knowing I would be unhappy unless I cut down or replaced the stock.  

Last rifle I almost bit on was a $600 winchester featherweight in 6.5x55.  I looked at it on another board and said naw.  Came back an hour later because it was boring into my brain and fortunately it sold 20m after my first look.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought a Winchester Model 70 Shadow .270 Win. with a Simmons 3x9 x 40 scope in 2001 from Walmart. Push feed, blind mag, pretty much bottom of the line gun. It is more accurate than I can shoot and has filled the freezer many, many times over the last 20+ years. It is my go to gun for big game. My son has one just like it except topped with a much nicer Nikon scope. He has bagged a lot of deer and some wild hogs.

Been thinking about picking up a .243 for my Daughter in Law. Ruger American would be my first pick. Excellent rifle.

I have an American rimfire and that thing is deadly accurate and will flat drill some holes. One of my friend's sons shot one in competition against CZs and more than held his own.

One day I'll spring for a Model 70 Featherweight but I really love hunting with my M70 Shadow in the meantime.

Get what you want, enjoy it and make some memories.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Check out a Winchester extreme weather model 70.
Mauser 98 action.
I had one in 7-08, with a Leupold 3.5-10.  awesome rifle light and accurate.

I have owed a few hunting rifles over the years.  I even built a 6.8 Ar for hunting.  It had a Trijicon accupoint 3-9.  I have also owned a very nice Remington 700.  I forget the exact model.  It was expensive to me for a Remington.  Had stainless action and barrel.  Grey black laminate stock with gel recoil pad.  It was in 270.  I had a Nikon monarch on it.  That was Japanese built, 3.5-10.

The rifle I shoot and hunt with the most.  Is a rifle my grandfather had made. Commercial FN Mauser action, Manlicher stock and grampa has passed and no body knows who the barrel maker is.
It is chambered in 308.

It is getting beat up.  I was hoping I would be able to use the Winchester to replace it.  Life had other plans for me.

The only gun That really impressed me the most was.  The Winchester.  You can just tell the difference in craftsmanship.
The best scope I'm my opinion is the Accupoint.  Especially early morning or at dusk
I say get a Model 70 of your choice.  Get it chambered in 7-08 or 3-08.
Get a accupoint.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#36]
You Sir, have amazing willpower.   I'd just buy another on the off chance your oldie "breaks".   You can explain that to your wife easier.

Happy Trails!
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By EvilVaquero:
You Sir, have amazing willpower.   I'd just buy another on the off chance your oldie "breaks".   You can explain that to your wife easier.

Happy Trails!
View Quote

Lol.

Minor update.  Still haven’t messed with it.  Only thing I have is a 1 piece rail.  Gonna add that. Also gonna stiffen you the forend with 2 part epoxy and a metal rod.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 11:04:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 161Infantry] [#38]
My hunting rifle is a 1943 O3A3 sported..Bushnell trophy elite scope...my sons is a 1903 Springfield...I'm always on look out for another or a 1917.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top