BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
My cross-country GHB (Page 14 of 14)
Page / 14
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
this is one of my favorite threads on Arfcom.

As others do, i frequently come back to it
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Great ideas in here
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Good thread to not lose to archives.

If OP ever reads this, thanks again for putting it together.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
No archives
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump, in light of the recent southern US shit-show and stories of nightmarish travel.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 4:25:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Bumpity
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 1:11:22 AM EDT
[#8]
bump
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m wondering how the electronics kit would change if this was done again now, over a decade later.  

The alligator clamps for batteries still applies.  But maybe a lithium USB battery and all the lights and radios would be USB powered?  

Satellite communicator instead of a 2m radio?  

USB headlamp?

Link Posted: 7/2/2021 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 12:31:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBFJ40] [#15]
For the original question to a cross country GHB I think the satellite based devices might make a lot of sense.   2M radio for weather and local comma.  Cell phone for local and long range and the satellite for long range.  It wouldn’t make much sense if the whole nation was out of power but that’s unlikely.  

Seems like USB devices for the cross country GHB make sense.  Including satellite based options.   And they avoid the costs of a full Sat phone.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JBFJ40:
For the original question to a cross country GHB I think the satellite based devices might make a lot of sense.   2M radio for weather and local comma.  Cell phone for local and long range and the satellite for long range.  It wouldn’t make much sense if the whole nation was out of power but that’s unlikely.  

Seems like USB devices for the cross country GHB make sense.  Including satellite based options.   And they avoid the costs of a full Sat phone.
View Quote

From a charging shit standpoint USB batteries and usb powered devices make sense.

I.e. I have a lithium 18650 from streamlight I can charge with a USB plug. I use it for a flashlight. I can get a 3x 18650 holder so I can power a 12ish volt radio. Or 2x holder to power a 7V handheld like VR-5r radio.

Comms, It depends on your skill, and ambient conditions.  IF you have someone on the other end thats and experienced HAM with decent gear and a good comms setup for the end of the world. Then I'd get something HAMish thats multiband, i.e. F817 or similar. BUT gear isn't gonna save your ass, you need to learn how to power it, operate it, and most likely learn CW or data modes with it (not trivial), and then the person on the other end, bare minimum needs to have a good 100W+ rig (1kw recommended), a GOOD base antenna to talk to you on etc.

Shit like "in reach" might work during SHTF, but the moment there is a "technical" problem, you're fucked if tech support decides to leave.

Back to the power thing... Overall I do think standardizing on USB/USB-C stuff makes some sense. I'd figure how to charge a "power bank" of 12V, as well as 120VAC at a bare minimum. You can get a bunch of devices powered off USB that way, cell phone, GPS, watches, lights/fans etc.

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#19]
forgot about this. bumped, need more cardio.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 1:29:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Bumping. Going back to read this one from the start again. Shared with some friends who travel frequently.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Again...
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#23]
good stuff
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:15:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Still in my subs.  Good thread indeed!
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 12:08:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dodge223] [#25]
I was watching a Pat Mac video on his go bag setup. He suggested carrying trail tacks for navigation at night with only a flashlight. Thought it was an interesting concept and they are cheap, multi use, and light weight.

Trail tacks
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#26]
bumped
and need more cardio, added a weight belt and a bunch of cash.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#27]
.  bump
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Dodge223:
I was watching a Pat Mac video on his go bag setup. He suggested carrying trail tacks for navigation at night with only a flashlight. Though it was an interesting concept and they are cheap, multi use, and light weight.

Trail tacks
View Quote

Pretty common to see those on state land around here
State DEC prohibits the creation of unauthorized trails on state lands used as wildlife management use areas; if you try to create a traditional but unauthorized blazed trail on those state lands, sooner or later once the DEC guys find out about it they'll come along and deface the blazes, remove the engineer tape you used, etc. But for some reason they miss the thumbtacks. Those probably aren't this brand and are more likely just metallic-headed thumbtacks, but its pretty easy to pick out someone's unofficial trail once you notice the tacks
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Bump
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:56:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: vintovka] [#30]
Good one on the trail tacks, need to put them in and find ways to lighten the load. There has to be lighter rucks made in the last 10 years. Ditto the comms gear.  what about adding some tile type blue toothe trackers? Easy to tie one to a high branch and find your way back to it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#31]
bump
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Xterra:
Those sporks are the shit arn't they I've got a few and love them!
View Quote
I’ve had TSA take those exact ones from me TWICE.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By vintovka:
Good one on the trail tacks, need to put them in and find ways to lighten the load. There has to be lighter rucks made in the last 10 years. Ditto the comms gear.  what about adding some tile type blue toothe trackers? Easy to tie one to a high branch and find your way back to it.
View Quote

Problem with rucks is the military ones are built like tanks and will survive just about any abuse. Civilian rucks are more delicate.
Being older, I'd prefer to hump the Granite Gear pack and the REI tent instead of the older military stuff. But I'll be the first to admit that it isnt as durable as the old mil surp stuff. So it depends on what you intend to do with your gear.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

Problem with rucks is the military ones are built like tanks and will survive just about any abuse. Civilian rucks are more delicate.
Being older, I'd prefer to hump the Granite Gear pack and the REI tent instead of the older military stuff. But I'll be the first to admit that it isnt as durable as the old mil surp stuff. So it depends on what you intend to do with your gear.
View Quote

Yes built like a tank, and just as heavy. That matters if you are walking alot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Bump.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Bump
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
View Quote

Military rucks are built to withstand multiple issues to abusive troopers; tossed off trucks, out of planes, stacked, ratcheted down, sat on, shoved, kicked, etc. I've found on the civilian side you can find just as robust of packs at half-or-less the weight of military packs. My Seek Outside packs with hybrid frames are designed to haul 100+pounds (not that I ever want to carry those kinds of loads every again!), and they weigh under three pounds, very close to my lightweight backpacking packs (that are only capable of loads under 30 pounds).

There are newer, lighter materials that simply don't need to be heavy 1000 Cordura to handle abuse or have a pound of MOLLE webbing sewn from top to bottom. Of course, all this comes at a cost. That said...

I split the cost (as a Christmas gift) of a Mystery Ranch Mountain Ruck (just under $800) with my son for his upcoming deployment this next year. I like Mystery Ranch and have a few of their packs, but their military packs are overly built. The Mountain Ruck comes in at almost 8 pounds empty. Granted, my son will be living out of it, traveling with it (Infantry gun trucks), using with plate carriers, and down the road, possibly jumping with it, but that's still a lot of weight for an empty pack. Five pounds heavier than my Seek Outside packs and that extra five pounds could provide me an additional 3-4 days of food and up to another 40-50 miles of trekking calories. To me, that's pretty significant...but it's all about one's requirements and environment and I just don't see the overly built military rucks as the best solution unless you're getting it for free or extremely cheap, or you're in your mid-20's and ruck for a living as a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal.

Oh, and bump for an epic thread!

ROCK6

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#39]
BUMP
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Hott_Seeds:
this is one of my favorite threads on Arfcom.

As others do, i frequently come back to it
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Easter bump
Page / 14
Next Page Arrow Left
My cross-country GHB (Page 14 of 14)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top