Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2020 9:52:27 AM EDT
Been done, and on the water for a couple years now, so nothing "currently under construction". Lacking most picks because of the ripoff photobucket.

22.5' Fun Deck Deck Boat. I wanted this style for the large-flat deck due to aging/bad knees. Built strictly for crappie fishing.

Current:

Attachment Attached File

As purchased:

Note ski locker in deck, this became the spot for my 3-trolling motor batteries, I simply built the console to cover the opening.

Attachment Attached File

Note livewell in deck at bow. This proved to be an issue later, though I wasn't totally unaware of it. The deck, at the point of the front of the fencing, took a slight upward angle. Not an easy style boat to find, I had looked for a while, and I like a challenge  

Attachment Attached File

Built a 2x4 cradle and slipped the hull off trailer. This will also serve to invert the hull for repairs/paint later.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 9:59:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: to2gas] [#1]
Only issue removing cap was at the motorwell. So sawing required:

Attachment Attached File

Which was repaired naturally:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I pulled nearly 1000lbs of wet flotation out of it, so naturally all stringers/transom were toast, and required replacement.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Edited to shuffle pics
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

In the meanwhile, I stripped the rotted 5/8" plywood from under side of the deck, and installed new 3/4".

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Prepping to flip hull:

Not shown were the vertical 2x4s down each side, connecting top to bottom, basically making a "cage".

Attachment Attached File

Flipped:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Prep for paint:

Attachment Attached File

Sorry for many missing pics, but sat hull on wagon, hauled to loading dock, and painted:

Attachment Attached File

Remember my mention of the livewell in the deck at the bow? Well, for the install, it required them cutting-out the center stringer. This allowed the bow to raise 1.5". It sat a "memory" in the fiberglass (this is a glass boat), so the only way to repair it, was to trim it back off, and reconstruct it, keeping in mind it still had to mate to the cap in this area.

Attachment Attached File

Much more work between pics, but after refoaming, plumbing, electrical, misc, cap goes back on:

Attachment Attached File

Trailer got similar treatment:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Skills.  You got 'em.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#5]
New seats, rod holders, made mount for Hummingbird. Old livewell now gone, and hull structure repaired underneath:

Attachment Attached File

Built console to set over ski locker, where trolling motor batteries now reside, nestled down in hull:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Great work OP and you are dedicated. What is going to power this Phoenix of a deck boat you have resurrected? It looks like a 50mph boat to me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:39:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: to2gas] [#7]
Still needed to repower, to replace the puny 80HP yammy that had an exposed rod/piston So I bought a donor boat for $2K, robbed the motor, re-clearcoated the hull, and got $1K back.

Attachment Attached File

Repainted motor covers and lower unit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:48:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: to2gas] [#8]
Originally Posted By Radiopat:
Skills.  You got 'em.
View Quote

Thanks! I thank pops for passing down his mechanical genes

Originally Posted By Dirtynails:
Great work OP and you are dedicated. What is going to power this Phoenix of a deck boat you have resurrected? It looks like a 50mph boat to me.
View Quote

150HP Johnson FastStrike. I'm a bit over-propped (using same prop that was on Stratos donor), so it's only a 40MPH boat

Rebuilt all 6 carbs, impeller, resealed L/U, t-stats, plugs, wires, rectifier/stator, jerked fuel system and added electric fuel pump (pre-mix now), added hydraulic steering, probably (well, more like I'm sure) I'm forgetting plenty. This can set for 6 mos, and start right up.

Trolling motor is 112 Terrova, run 2-859 HummingBirds (Bow/Console). Onboard areator (outlet to bow and back of console for minners)

Have 3 trolling, 1-start, and 1-acc (FF's, areator, stereo) batteries.

ETA: I removed carpet, didn't want carpet so I used Monstaliner (decal on windshield), it's good stuff!  I can hose the deck after each trip and it's ready for the next trip.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#9]
tagged..
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice.

Way more patience than i would have.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell of a Job! Smart move on the VRO delete.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks! Found a few more pics

2 Bank Charger for start/acc batteries

Attachment Attached File

3 Bank under console for trolling motor batteries

Attachment Attached File

Trolling motor (54" shaft) support for travel, plugs into center seat base

Attachment Attached File

TM has a built-in transducer, but my bow FF is 2D. I pulled the head off TM, ran 'ducer wire up the notch on shaft and siliconed it in place, routed the TD cable through the coiled cable and stored all the extra TD cable in a short section of 2" PVC and capped the ends. That was mounted on the back of my FF pedestal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Gray rod holders made a perfect way to mount an easy on/off trolling rack for pulling crankbaits. 1.5" dowels just slip down into rod holders.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Made the portion that hangs outside the fencing so I can flip it up for travel

Attachment Attached File

Made some racks out of PVC for crankbait storage, mounted inside railing. PVC pipe is for large umbrella(s), on each side as well as front. Sun here can be brutal in summer.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow that was a lot of work.  Looks great OP.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow that was a lot of work.  Looks great OP.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#17]
OP I'd fish with you. I like to see old boats brought back to life.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#18]
how has it been holding up?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top