Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2022 7:21:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478]
I coyote hunt with a few buddies pretty seriously.  Figured I'd start a thread to track my/our hunting this year.

Last year we put around 150 coyotes in the truck.  This year is off to an earlier start and hoping we can do better!

Coming from a 12" 6.5 Grendel AR with a Super Yoter on a Shadowtech tripod and Innorel ball head.  Recently finished up a build on a new coyote rifle on a new tripod setup.

20" 22 Creedmoor built on an Aero M5 Receiver set with an AGM Adder 50-640.  Tripod is a Two Vets The No Name with an RRS Anvil 30 head.  Loving this setup so far!

Attachment Attached File

Went out this past weekend and put #3 and #4 for the season in the truck.  Threw together a video for our social media.

AGM Adder Coyote Hunting Episode 1

Will try to keep this thread updated throughout the season.  Feel free to add your coyote hunting content to this thread!

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Love to see it. What part of the country are you guys hunting?

I’m in Texas and just started predator hunting this year. Got lucky on a bobcat but haven’t seen a coyote yet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thatguybryan:
Love to see it. What part of the country are you guys hunting?

I'm in Texas and just started predator hunting this year. Got lucky on a bobcat but haven't seen a coyote yet.
View Quote

Thanks!  We hunt several counties in Indiana.  Usually travel once or twice a year for hog hunting.

Nice!  It's an addicting hobby.  We're starting to get a lot of bobcats here.  See them pretty often when we're out hunting but not legal to shoot
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck!

Hope I can get a few this year. I usually hunt by myself.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DirtyHandsRob:
Good luck!

Hope I can get a few this year. I usually hunt by myself.
View Quote

Thanks, you too!

We all do some solo hunts throughout the season but most of our hunting is 2-4 of us together.  Hunt a lot of huge open fields, easier to cover 360 deg with multiple guys.  We also get a lot of doubles and triples coming in, works out to have multiple shooters, each take a dog and count it down.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ZW17:
Love these threads.

In!
View Quote

Wish there were more of them!

Heading out tonight to see what we can do.  

The crops are finally starting to come down around here which will let us get back on most of our good ground.  During the summer we have less than 1,000 acres we can hunt.  Once the crops come down it's up around 120k acres.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Rough night last night.  Lot of driving to a couple places we had requests from the landowner to take care of problem coyotes.  By the time we got done there rain cut the night short.  Still a fun night!  Managed to put 1 in the truck.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

Thanks, you too!

We all do some solo hunts throughout the season but most of our hunting is 2-4 of us together.  Hunt a lot of huge open fields, easier to cover 360 deg with multiple guys.  We also get a lot of doubles and triples coming in, works out to have multiple shooters, each take a dog and count it down.
View Quote

We use similar tactics up in the Northland. Only been out twice so far, both solo, with 1 dog down. Last year we got 57.

Sub'd!
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

We use similar tactics up in the Northland. Only been out twice so far, both solo, with 1 dog down. Last year we got 57.

Sub'd!
View Quote

Nice!  Works pretty well in the right setting.

Feel free to post it up, the more the merrier!
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:36:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#10]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Here is #1 on the year. Going to give it a try tonight I think, probably solo again but that's the way it goes around harvest time. They've gotta hurry up to get all the crops out so we have those nice bare fields to hunt anyways!
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#11]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/481528/20220912_000851_jpg-2546703.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/481528/img_039_jpg-2546718.JPG

Here is #1 on the year. Going to give it a try tonight I think, probably solo again but that's the way it goes around harvest time. They've gotta hurry up to get all the crops out so we have those nice bare fields to hunt anyways!
View Quote

Nicely done!  What setup you running?
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 7:21:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#12]

Nicely done!  What setup you running?
View Quote

Nothing fancy, a mid length FSB build in 5.56 with a Pulsar Thermion XM30 and a Dakota Silencer Varminter 4.0.  Tried the same scope and can on a couple fancier rifles last year but decided to dedicated an older rifle to night hunting only, I feel no shame in abusing this one all year.

ETA: I don't use a tripod, just a trigger stick (bipod version). A few of my buddies use tripods from time to time but they get ditched for trigger sticks a lot due to the bulk and weight. I'll probably still buy a tripod some day, just not a priority as anything that looks nice enough is also stupid expensive.

Didn't make it out last night but I will tonight, bowhunting now and will go back to the truck to swap bow for rifle after sunset. Good excuse to stay out all night, Sunday nights are great because nobody is out messing up the hunting.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Nothing fancy, a mid length FSB build in 5.56 with a Pulsar Thermion XM30 and a Dakota Silencer Varminter 4.0.  Tried the same scope and can on a couple fancier rifles last year but decided to dedicated an older rifle to night hunting only, I feel no shame in abusing this one all year.

ETA: I don't use a tripod, just a trigger stick (bipod version). A few of my buddies use tripods from time to time but they get ditched for trigger sticks a lot due to the bulk and weight. I'll probably still buy a tripod some day, just not a priority as anything that looks nice enough is also stupid expensive.

Didn't make it out last night but I will tonight, bowhunting now and will go back to the truck to swap bow for rifle after sunset. Good excuse to stay out all night, Sunday nights are great because nobody is out messing up the hunting.
View Quote

That'll do!  Thermion series are awesome thermals!  

I can get you some tripod discounts through one of my sponsors if you're ever in the market, just shoot me a PM.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll be hitting the field soon...

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
I'll be hitting the field soon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAxYTC7QXR4
View Quote

Nice  Look forward to seeing some after pics!

One of the guys I hunt with is out in OK right now, did a little hunting with one of our sponsors.  Hits on 5, only 2 recovered.  The tall grass was a nightmare for them.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/6/2022 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Tourney season is about to kickoff.  Running our first one this coming Saturday, gonna be a long night
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Tourney season is about to kickoff.  Running our first one this coming Saturday, gonna be a long night
View Quote

You guys start tourneys early!
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#18]

You guys start tourneys early!
View Quote

Apparently not, they just canceled that whole tourney series for no reason

Oh well, I'm sure we'll head out for a little hobby hunting this weekend!  

Link Posted: 11/14/2022 10:08:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#19]
Since the tourney was canceled, wound up doing a little hobby hunting with a buddy Saturday night.  The other guys were tied up with deer hunting/guiding.

The night started off strong, spotted one laying in the field across from my house about 350y out.  Soon as my buddy showed up we walked a couple hundred yards out, directly downwind of it.  The instant the call came on it stood up and made a beeline for us.  Let him take the shot, 204 Ruger 40gr V Max at 33 yards did the trick

Attachment Attached File

Shortly after that it started snowing and kept up for the rest of the night.  Called some of our best spots over the next 6 hours and didn't see a damn thing

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:31:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#20]
Hunting a local tourney this weekend.  Been socked in with fog all week and thermal looks like trash.  Still managed to put one in the truck last night.  Hoping the fog will lift and we'll have better luck tonight.

She only had two good legs.  Back left was there but locked up and pulled up against her body.  Good part of her front left was missing with pads and claws growing out of the stub.

Shot at 143 yards, 22 Creedmoor 75gr ELDM at 3,230.  No exit wound.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Oct 23rd kill...

Nice thick male on 12-1-22...

Damn work and other things have got in the way the past few weeks, ready to clear my plate now that I've limited out on deer and get busy on the coyotes.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Oct 23rd kill...

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/Bctwa6.jpg

Nice thick male on 12-1-22...

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/SZCVQv.jpg

Damn work and other things have got in the way the past few weeks, ready to clear my plate now that I've limited out on deer and get busy on the coyotes.
View Quote

Nice!  I feel that.  Been tied up with tons of other stuff and haven't hunted as hard this year as I have in years past.

What are you shooting them with?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Nice!  I feel that.  Been tied up with tons of other stuff and haven't hunted as hard this year as I have in years past.

What are you shooting them with?
View Quote

6mm ARC.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#24]

6mm ARC.
View Quote

Hearing lots of great things about that round and seeing lots of dead coyotes from it!
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#25]
What do you recommend for a good starter tripod. I hunt coyotes on my own but I need to get a thermal. I called 4 in last Sunday but it was after the sun went down and they were too far out. I decided not to teach them what a gun was yet.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Finished up a long weekend of tourney hunting.  Fog never really lifted and thermal looked terrible most of the weekend, couldn't see the horizon, or make out trees.  Managed to put another 6 down last night bringing our total to 7 for the weekend.  Tourney was a fundraiser for a local volunteer FD, brought in a lot of money for them.  Main pot was heaviest 5, with big dog and most dogs side pots.

We wound up getting third place in the main with 183 lbs, and winning the big dog side pot with a 47.2 lb dog .  193.86 lbs won the main and 22 won the most.  67 dogs checked in total, should help out the local deer population!

We all shot great this weekend, only had 1 runner that was not recovered.  Shots ranged from 140 to 380 yards with all but 1 over 200.  My 22 Creed ran great and shot well!  One guy was running a 6mm Creed then two 224 Valks to round it out.  Only runner was from a Valk with 60gr VMAX.

Dumped this guy at 210, was hit with both Creeds at the same time on a countdown.  Buddy cleaned up the runner with his Valk after missing initially on the countdown.

Headshot this one at 268 with the 22 Creed.

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By harrymank:
What do you recommend for a good starter tripod. I hunt coyotes on my own but I need to get a thermal. I called 4 in last Sunday but it was after the sun went down and they were too far out. I decided not to teach them what a gun was yet.
View Quote

Whats your budget and what gun would you like to put on it?  Any rail space to mount an ARCA rail or a bolt gun where you can't mount anything?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Buddy threw a video together of the weekend.

Our First Local Tournament Of The Year

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Whats your budget and what gun would you like to put on it?  Any rail space to mount an ARCA rail or a bolt gun where you can't mount anything?
View Quote

They all seam pretty expensive to me but I’ve never used one. A thermal scope is on my short list but I’m trying to build a house too. I shoot an AR when I’m hunting.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#30]

They all seam pretty expensive to me but I've never used one. A thermal scope is on my short list but I'm trying to build a house too. I shoot an AR when I'm hunting.
View Quote

Absolute base model entry level is going to be a BOG with a clamp.  Will work OK as long as you have the rail space to clamp onto.  Pretty good value, but they're heavy and nowhere near as versatile as a ballhead and ARCA rail setup.

BOG Deathgrip

Next step up is going to be something like a Slik 700 or a knockoff with a cheap Amazon ballhead.  Gonna cost more but it's a better tripod and a much better shooting experience.  Would need to add an ARCA rail to your gun for it.

Shadowtech Slik copy

Innorel ballhead

ARCA rail   Also available for keymod and 1913.

I highly recommend the Slik or a copy and a ballhead if you want to spend the little extra.  In my opinion it's worth the small extra cost over a BOG and clamp/saddle.  

If you want to get fancier than that you're going to be looking at carbon fiber tripods and higher end ballheads/leveling base/Anvil 30 and the cost gets ugly in a hurry

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Absolute base model entry level is going to be a BOG with a clamp.  Will work OK as long as you have the rail space to clamp onto.  Pretty good value, but they're heavy and nowhere near as versatile as a ballhead and ARCA rail setup.

BOG Deathgrip

Next step up is going to be something like a Slik 700 or a knockoff with a cheap Amazon ballhead.  Gonna cost more but it's a better tripod and a much better shooting experience.  Would need to add an ARCA rail to your gun for it.

Shadowtech Slik copy

Innorel ballhead

ARCA rail   Also available for keymod and 1913.

I highly recommend the Slik or a copy and a ballhead if you want to spend the little extra.  In my opinion it's worth the small extra cost over a BOG and clamp/saddle.  

If you want to get fancier than that you're going to be looking at carbon fiber tripods and higher end ballheads/leveling base/Anvil 30 and the cost gets ugly in a hurry

View Quote

Maybe I haven’t looked in a while. I thought a decent tripod was 5 or 6 hundred.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#32]
What do you guys use for calls?
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Maybe I haven't looked in a while. I thought a decent tripod was 5 or 6 hundred.
View Quote

I guess it comes down to your definition of decent.  For hobby hunting either of those should work fine.  If you're going to be hunting a lot then I would consider 500-600 a decent tripod.

Night Goggles Nightstalker Pro is an awesome tripod for the price.  Comes with a ballhead but the ballheads do not hold up well in my experience with them.

Two Vets, Fatboy are solid options in the 400-750 price range for tripod only.  RRS SOAR tripods are about as good as it gets but you're looking at $1,200+.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

I have four Fox Pro callers.

Many times, I will use two at a time. Place one about 10:00 from my position about 100 yards out, the other out at maybe 1:00/2:00 at about 75 yards.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:18:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowhntr6pt] [#35]
View Quote

The tri-pod in this pic is from NightGoggles. Those deer were killed at 107 yards and 197 yards as measured by my laser range finder, from a kneeling position.

There are perhaps better ones, but this one has served me well.

Shot this guy at about 225 yards from the below shown position.

Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:45:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#36]
View Quote

Lucky Duck calls with the factory sounds plus sound packs from Verminator, Predator Tactics, and Dog Soldier.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#37]

The tri-pod in this pic is from NightGoggles. Those deer were killed at 107 yards and 197 yards as measured by my laser range finder, from a kneeling position.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/MS02j7.jpg

There are perhaps better ones, but this one has served me well.

Shot this guy at about 225 yards from the below shown position.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/CbHuuZ.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/924/TUDeU6.jpg
View Quote

Great tripod for the price!  Some guys love the adjustable center stalk and some don't.  I used to run one and found I never used it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Great tripod for the price!  Some guys love the adjustable center stalk and some don't.  I used to run one and found I never used it.
View Quote

I use it more I think because of sitting behind it vs. standing.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#39]

I use it more I think because of sitting behind it vs. standing.
View Quote

I can see it being real handy for that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 7:57:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#40]
Between the holidays and being sicker than a dog for the last two weeks haven't been able to get out and do anymore hunting.

Did get the chance to get a rifle mount put in the truck over the holidays though.  Used the Built Right Industries seat back MOLLE panel.  Went with this one because it bolts up the the seat for a nice rigid mount.  Wanted something that would keep a heavy rifle from moving around at high speed on our rough roads.  Went with Grey Man Tactical weapon mounts for it.  Wound up working out pretty well.  Just barely have enough room to fit the gun in the truck vertically

Link Posted: 1/30/2023 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Had a short night out Saturday before we got rained out, still managed to knock down a couple.

Weekend Coyote Hunt/ Rainout

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 9:53:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#42]
Had a landowner write my buddy yesterday asking us to come take care of a coyote problem.  They lost a couple calves to them in the last week.  We used to have permission to hunt this property until the owner died a few years ago and the kids said no more hunting.

Buddy scouted it after work yesterday, we got set up around 9 last night.  Had some hollering back at us in the woods to the north the whole time.  This male finally came out after about 30 minutes of calling.  We counted it down and it took an 88gr ELDM from his Valk and a 75gr ELDM from my 22 Creed at the same time from 191 yards. He didn't go very far  Going through two electric fences to recover him wasn't much fun

Hoping to keep the landowner happy, they have a lot of prime coyote ground we love to hunt

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Went out and did 4 stands with a buddy last night.  Saw two, never had a shot on the first one, put the second one in the truck.

Haven't seen nearly the amount of coyotes this year that we've seen in the past.  Been a tough season of hunting

See a lot of questions on tripods, threw together a video on some of the entry level tripods, attachment methods, pros and cons.

Tripod 101: Which shooting or hunting tripod is right for you?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top