Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2022 6:11:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar]
I am wondering if its because te fish I get are in warm water but every damn fish no matter now cooked seems mushy to me. Shellcracker and bluegill are much firmer.

Is this normal for Speck/ Crappie?
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:
I am wondering if its because te fish I get are in warm water but every damn fish no matter now cooked seems mushy to me. Shellcracker and bluegill are much firmer.

Is this normal for Speck/ Crappie?
View Quote

I fished in Southern Illinois for 6 years during college.  I too found the bluegill and shell crackers were firm compared to crappie.  I pulled the crappie out of deep cold water and warmer temp shallow and they were still a bit mushy.  I'm moving to Florida and looking forward this fall and look forward to fishing.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:36:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pcmangler:

I fished in Southern Illinois for 6 years during college.  I too found the bluegill and shell crackers were firm compared to crappie.  I pulled the crappie out of deep cold water and warmer temp shallow and they were still a bit mushy.  I'm moving to Florida and looking forward this fall and look forward to fishing.
View Quote

WHere in FL. If below LAke O. Crappie are pretty rare
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Poke here:  http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1188139

It's the ARF of bass boats/fishing.  (Ignore the 'BBC'... freaked me out at first as well).
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 10:59:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#4]
Originally Posted By kissfan:
Poke here:  http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1188139

It's the ARF of bass boats/fishing.  (Ignore the 'BBC'... freaked me out at first as well).
View Quote

LOL I clicked with great hesitation.

I ice em immeiately. Still mushy. Caught in Winter - mushy caught in summer - mushy. I guess I am just too used to firm meated fish like Grouper, Mahi and Snakeheads. To me the Spek are like mashed potato texture. I guess thats just how they are but I love catching them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I know that this is an old topic but my college fishing buddy made the same complaint.

Either ice them immediately after catching or after you pull them out of the livewell/off of the stringer. I let them sit on ice for a couple of hours. If I’m not in a big rush, I keep them on ice overnight. The flesh will firm up and be much easier to fillet. After rinsing them they go back into at least a fridge. If I am going to cook them later that evening, I spread them out on a baking sheet on paper towels to dry, in the fridge. If I am going to fry them, a quick dip in beer, making sure to drip most of it off, and then into the breading. I set it aside after breading for a few minutes before frying. Then into the oil. Never have an issue with mushy crappie.

Same process if I am going to blacken them and they come out firm, even after being in the freezer for a bit.

I think that the biggest issue with mushy fish is not necessarily icing them, though that is standard practice for me, it is more about letting them dry out as much as possible. Any excess moisture to get the batter to adhere or in the fillet itself and the fish will steam rather than bake/fry. I tend to use several paper towels to make sure that the fillets are as dry as possible.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I will try to dry them a bit. I love catching them. I just want to love eating then too..

My buddy flips his lid when he sees me tossing slabs back in the water lol.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#7]
We catch these in august and bring several bags home for the freezer…

And just blackened some up on the blackstone a week or two ago…anything but mushy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Photosarv:
We catch these in august and bring several bags home for the freezer…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254303/IMG_5199-3192909.jpg

And just blackened some up on the blackstone a week or two ago…anything but mushy.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254303/IMG_6601-3192922.jpg
View Quote

That looks pretty damn good
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top