Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2019 9:32:53 AM EDT
Well I just ordered my first rod building kit. Ordered a 7' med heavy fast action, with all the kit to build it.
I already have my sights on a 7' light fast for pannies, and I'll probably make a few ice rods too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 12:24:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wingsnthings] [#1]
Link to source?

Found it
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a buddy that builds rods with their kits.  He's made me and my dad some pretty nice rods.  This winter I'm going to have him label my rods for their purpose: Senko, Ned Rig, Drop shot...
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.mudhole.com/kits-bundles/start-up-kits/New-Turn-key-Rod-Kits

This is the link to the turnkey kits, they come with the all the necessary equipment.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I've built a rod on their kit.  My buddy bought it and he's built a bunch of ice rods.

For hobby building, I think they're great.  If you're wanting to build for production, you're definitely going to want a bigger drying rack and most likely going to want a better wrapper.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
So, the blank showed up yesterday, in a 1" PVC tube. The rest of the kit shipped from a different location and will arrive today.
I figure the blanks ship from the manufacturer. The blank arrived in perfect condition, if all goes well, I might be wrapping a fishing rod this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 1:30:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eclark53520] [#6]
Have fun!  It's actually very relaxing and fun activity.  Something that even kids can do if they are into it.

Think my next build is going to be a flipping stick.  OR a big fiberglass catfish rod...I need like 4 of those...
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:46:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mnhornet] [#7]
More rod building info as I go. I chose the full size cork handle, my choice. The cork comes full length, with a .25" through hole, a few hours and all 4 supplied reamers later, my cork and reel seat were ready to bond in place.
This wasn't a huge deal, but it looks daunting at first. After bonding the handle etc. in place it's time to layout the guides. I don't think they sent me the correct guide set, or I'm missing one in my kit, it goes from a 25mm od guide to a 16, I think it should transition to a 20, like my Fenwick does.
I sent them an email requesting the parts list of the guide set. I also mentioned the China marker they mention in almost all of their instructions was missing from the kit.
The equipment all seems serviceable, and I managed wrap the hook holder gimmick to the rod, this took awhile, and wasn't as easy as I thought it might be.
So, I'm in a holding pattern until I get the correct guides, or am told it is what it is. Sort of a bummer, I am really stoked to get this new stick out on the water.
I won big bass in my league last week 19.5" on a drop shot wacky, and picked up a one 3 Creed spinning reel with my winnings, so all I need now is to finish the rod.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#8]
my buddy started building rods as a hobby/side business last winter.  It's kind of addicting to look at various rod blanks and think "hey I can get a custom rod with similar specs as $200-$450 production rods for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost."

I'm up to 6 ice rods and 3 long rods now.  He's building 2 casting rods for walleye live bait rigging for me this week.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I finished the rod last night. It turned out okay for a first attempt. I didn't cut my tags short enough, and some are a little pokey.
Hoping to give the new stick a chance at it this week.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered another spinning rod kit, this one will be 7 foot, light power, fast action. I wanted another panfish rod, current panny rod is a 5 foot ultralight. My thinking is the 2 extra feet will make it easier to pick up the slack when bobber fishing crappies.
Not sure what reel yet, I like the one 3 I just bought, and may look for a smaller version for this rod.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mnhornet:
I finished the rod last night. It turned out okay for a first attempt. I didn't cut my tags short enough, and some are a little pokey.
Hoping to give the new stick a chance at it this week.
View Quote
I've built several fly rods, nothing spectacular.  When I pull the tags I pull them slowly until the tag end is just tight against the wraps and pinned there by the pull loop, then trim it as close as I can to the wraps with a razor blade.  Then give the pull loop a quick jerk - most all the time the tag end is completely under the wraps.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I did shave off the nubs after the epoxy cured, I could re-apply more epoxy, but I'm probably the only one who will notice and care. I'll be more careful burying my tabs this time around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top