Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2021 11:31:54 AM EDT
Hey all,

A friend of mine just bought a house with an old shed they are trying to get rid of. A portion of the roof collapsed, and they don't have any use for it. It's 12'x16'

They offered me the shed if I can move it. It looks like a perfect little shed after a little tlc. I might try to raise some turkey's in it. But I've never tried to do anything like this before.

Anyone have experience moving shed's and such? There's a guy locally that rents all kinds of trailers. I see he has a 8x16 deckover tilt trailer with a winch. I can't imagine it's this simple, but do I just backup a trailer to the shed, throw a strap around the base of the back, and winch it up on the trailer? Strap down and drive away?
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#1]
With a tilt trailer, a winch, some rigging straps and spreader bars it doesn't sound like it would be all that difficult. I would recommend using spreader bars in the rear and up front, it will keep the sides from collapsing while pulling it up onto the trailer and make sure the force is pulling instead of trying to crush the thing.

I have never moved a shed but we move equipment the size of a small shed at work all the time with nothing more then some steel pipe and johnson bars.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Since the roof is partially collapsed, I'd be wary of it's structure stability.  Pictures are needed to see what the foundation is, how the walls are tied in, things like that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Need pics of the base and floor.

Is it one of those they drop off, or is it built right on the ground or a pad?

The reason I ask is, we rented a house in town, I thought we were going to be there long term.
So I bought one of those nice already built sheds they just drop off and level.

Then a year later, we bought a bigger nicer place outside of town and I was not about to let my new shed go to the landlord....
I got a hold of a similar place that I bought mine from and just asked them If I pay them, would they pick it up from address at Point A and Drop it off at Point B.
The guy quoted me 200 to move it.

I took everything out and fully unloaded it. It looked just like it did when dropped off, originally.  
He was able to back right up to it, load it, and pull off.  At the drop off, it was the exact reverse of that, no issues.
It was so easy, he told me he'd just change me 150 vs the 200.  I gave him the other 50 as a tip because I was so happy to have the shed at my new place and not have too leave it at the old place.

So, that MAY be something you can try.  The right tools and Rig really make the job.  The wrong, could make kindling...
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Call a towing service and have them use a roll back truck to haul it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Taking it apart and rebuilding it on site would probably be my first choice.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to move and deliver sheds daily. Because it is in dis-repair use caution. before you move it, use 2x4's to brace everything inside. Outside wouldn't hurt.
A roll back will move many.
We used a 1 Ton truck with a steel deck , 20 foot goose neck trailer, with a winch. I used high lift jacks to put the front of the shed on heavy duty saw horses; back the trailer as close to the shed as I could get it, winch the shed up onto ramp/trailer, winch all the way, tie down, move. Pulley at the back reversed to process.
Call your local shed builders, one will move it for you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I sold 16x32' cattle shelter we weren't using anymore. The guy came and braced it inside, then attached half the running gear to the back, bolted a hitch to the front, cut the posts and drove it away. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#8]
when did the roof collapse? if its been open to the weather long its worthless, if its got osb in it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
when did the roof collapse? if its been open to the weather long its worthless, if its got osb in it.
View Quote

Looks like it's been open for a while, but there doesn't appear to be any OSB. This isn't some pre-fab shed, but it looks like it's probably 50ish years old and built by someone who knew what they were doing at the time. Wood floor and all. It's sitting next to a larger pole shed, and from the looks of it, snow probably fell off the big shed and landed on the roof of this thing causing it to cave in. I haven't gone to look at it yet, but it looks like it should be a decent fixer upper. Unfortunately, I can't post pictures but it sounds like I will be best suited calling a shed builder. After looking more at the pictures, one of the corners may or may not be giving out as well. I'll go down and check it out this weekend and see what I can come up with.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#10]
dpending on the construction with the roof already gone, it might be easy to saw the walls off the floor and move it as a floor and 4 walls.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
dpending on the construction with the roof already gone, it might be easy to saw the walls off the floor and move it as a floor and 4 walls.
View Quote

This.  If the shed is decently well built, often the easiest move is to remove the roof, separate the walls, and then put floor, walls, then roof on a flat bed and reassemble on new site.  At a prior home, I had a well built shed in the location where I was having a two car garage built.  Contractor wanted $750 for removing the shed, but I wound up selling it for $300, and the buyers took it apart on site, moved it and rebuilt it.  Worked out well for both of us.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.  If the shed is decently well built, often the easiest move is to remove the roof, separate the walls, and then put floor, walls, then roof on a flat bed and reassemble on new site.  At a prior home, I had a well built shed in the location where I was having a two car garage built.  Contractor wanted $750 for removing the shed, but I wound up selling it for $300, and the buyers took it apart on site, moved it and rebuilt it.  Worked out well for both of us.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s what I did. Took it apart and moved it stacked.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Taking it apart crossed my mind too. Whats that process look like? Crowbar and hammer to pull the nails out of everything?

It would be real easy to take the chainsaw and just start taking things apart, but I can't really imagine how I would put it together worth anything if I were to do that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Most of mine was put together with screws but where there were nails, I just used a small crowbar.
I did go in with a sharpie first and mark everything on the inside with what side it was and top and bottom.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#15]
We once moved a 20 x 30ish building. It didn't have runners under it so we put runners under it, hooked cables to the runners, and towed it 3 miles on paved roads with a tractor. It worked out well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#16]
You can put a shed on PVC pipes just like a gun safe and roll it.

Some towing companies can move sheds and there are companies that also specialize in moving sheds. If the roof is collapsed take remaining  trusses down and keep them inside as you move.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Updates and Pics????
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#18]
As mentioned, beef it up and use a tilt bed.  Keep the opening to the back as I remember hearing about one that exploded at speed when the wind got in it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Updates and Pics????
View Quote

It's 2 hours away, so I am going to try and go take a look at it this weekend and come up with a plan. It kinda sounds like I might attempt to take it apart and set it on a flat bed. but it'll kind of depend.

The roof isn't completely collapsed. just a couple of largish holes.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I just moved our chicken coop because we moved to a bigger property and it is only a year old so I wasn't leaving it there. Without a tilt bed it is a nightmare and scary as hell. It was just my son and I loading it and then had the wife's help unloading. Had to use 2 vehicles, several winches, farm jacks, blocks and a lot of ingenuity.  I will say I think mine stayed together so well because the roof is rock solid and stiffened the whole coop up. With no roof or a compromised roof I don't think mine would have made it
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not meant to hijack but that's a nice coop.  That hardware cloth looks bullet proof against snakes and varmints.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just moved our chicken coop because we moved to a bigger property and it is only a year old so I wasn't leaving it there. Without a tilt bed it is a nightmare and scary as hell. It was just my son and I loading it and then had the wife's help unloading. Had to use 2 vehicles, several winches, farm jacks, blocks and a lot of ingenuity.  I will say I think mine stayed together so well because the roof is rock solid and stiffened the whole coop up. With no roof or a compromised roof I don't think mine would have made it
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/117398/20210703_093449_jpg-2016878.JPG

Not meant to hijack but that's a nice coop.  That hardware cloth looks bullet proof against snakes and varmints.

@Kitties-with-Sigs
I did the same thing, couldnt be happier

It's hard to see in the pic but all 1/2" hardware cloth enclosed. It's sandwiched between the top face board and lower face board and stapled like crazy on the sides, nothing has even put a dent in it. I also extended it out beneath the dirt as well.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
It has been great. Nothing is getting though it. I do need to restaple the right side and get off my ass and finish the trim on the right side as well to help secure it even more. I sandwiched the construction mesh under the trim on the opposite side and front and it wont go anywhere

Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Update - I went down to look at it, and think it's pretty usable. The rafters on the roof all look pretty good, it's just one section the actual sheeting on the roof rotted and caved in. It could used a new roof one way or another. But ultimately I am going to go at it with hammer crowbar and whatever else I can fit in my truck and take it apart as best as I can piece by piece and haul it in sections.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top