Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2019 11:46:02 AM EDT
Been on going issue with mice getting into mower. Just spent hour hunting one down and terminating it.

Once i got it run away from mower, the hunt was on, good thing about mice, they are predictable. They will always try to return to their home, so i set up blocks that it could use to make its way back, jus waited and sure enough he tried to go back through my predetermined route and popped him with .22 birdshot.

This is getting old, tried mothballs, they literally climbed over them to build nest 2 inches from it.

What are you guys doing to keep mice away. Barn cat out of question as im allergic to cats.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#1]
An older woman at my apartment complex puts mothballs in small plastic cups under her Subaru after reading that mice will eat the soy based wiring.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An older woman at my apartment complex puts mothballs in small plastic cups under her Subaru after reading that mice will eat the soy based wiring.
View Quote
Ok, guess ya didnt read my post, already tried mothballs they built their nest inches away from it
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ok, guess ya didnt read my post, already tried mothballs they built their nest inches away from it
View Quote
Really barn cats are the ideal rodent control. Can you deal with their fur if they aren’t all on top of you? Cause my wiring and potential food storage etc would be worth a few stuffy noses.  Pretty much if you aren’t getting severely restricted airways, cats are worth it.

Beyond cats, there’s traps. You could do a few bucket traps to thin out their population but you will only put a dent in it. I mention bucket traps because they’re fairly effective and you can avoid killing stuff you accidentally trapped.   glue traps are awful and you will catch everything from birds to cats etc. same with the old time mouse traps depending on where you set them. And then there’s poisons which will kill anything or anyone that gets into them and then anything that eats the dead or dying victim.  This is how you end up with dead eagles and dogs.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Mouse Trap

OP, I've had good luck with this style.  I have a 24x30' utility building I keep two tractors and an old Land Cruiser in, and always had mice issues.  I keep several of these, and an old trash can with seed on the bottom that they can't get out of.  I also removed small trees, brush, and whatnot from around  the building to give the local barn cats better hunting fields.

ETA: the nice thing is, these traps will get 6-8 mice, unlike the old snap traps.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Try one of these with peanut butter on the end and 6” of water in the bucket.

RinneTraps Original - Plank Mouse Trap
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Really barn cats are the ideal rodent control. Can you deal with their fur if they aren’t all on top of you? Cause my wiring and potential food storage etc would be worth a few stuffy noses.  Pretty much if you aren’t getting severely restricted airways, cats are worth it.
View Quote
+1

I am allergic to cats, I have two barn cats (from the looks of things more are on the way) and they don't bother me much.  I give them just enough food to keep them around, mice, rabbits and squirrels are all on the menu.

Noticed a big difference in the house too (no cats are allowed in the house but they patrol the perimeter)
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Excellent luck with these.

I bait with peanut butter.

Only PITA is keeping them emptied, since it's a live trap.

ETA: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004RAMU

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 6/24/2019 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Sprinkled some rodent repellent around, havent seen any in a week now
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sprinkled some rodent repellent around, havent seen any in a week now
View Quote
Repellent or poison?

If repellent, what brand?
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Repellent or poison?

If repellent, what brand?  
View Quote
Repellent,.......

Attachment Attached File

Im not 100% this worked, had mouse around first couple of days i used this and then no sign of it.

Either got tired of rebuilding nest and figured wasnt worth it, got eaten by one of the many foxes, skunks, raccoons i have or the stuff worked.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Yea. I check atv and K5 to make sure it didn’t move on to one of those
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Repellent,.......

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35509/1757F720-FDC9-4B8F-9ED6-E9CE0C04A44C_jpeg-992339.JPG

Im not 100% this worked, had mouse around first couple of days i used this and then no sign of it.

Either got tired of rebuilding nest and figured wasnt worth it, got eaten by one of the many foxes, skunks, raccoons i have or the stuff worked.
View Quote
I've had mice building nests in the air filter of my tractor.  I'll try this stuff around the perimeter of the barn and report back.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've had mice building nests in the air filter of my tractor.  I'll try this stuff around the perimeter of the barn and report back.
View Quote
Good deal, im here to report, still mouse free. Stuff might actually work
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#16]
About a million years ago I worked detailing cars. The guy who owned the place would never guarantee a car free of mice. He said that once nice were in a place, even if you killed the originals more would come. Don’t know if it was BS or not but he sure could make a POS used car shine.

I’ve always had good luck with organic peanut butter baited traps.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
If that is true, I hope the fox in my area are eating up the little varmints. My only problem with the fox, they taint on the property during trapping season.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Mothballs dont work, ive had them build nest inches from mothball bag i put under mower hood.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#19]
*Update*

While im still mouse free but now not sure its the repellent, found a juvenile rat snake hanging out in the corner of the barn, dont know how long he been there..lol

I relocated him to the field, didnt want him getting into atv or mower either
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 12:47:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I doubt he took care of all of them by himself.

If he's a teenager, mom and dad are around somewhere.

Still...the timing of your repellent cannot be snubbed.
View Quote
Concur.  I have a couple more than healthy black snakes in the barn and by themselves they can't keep up.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Yea, confirmed the reason for no mice, had coming to jesus moment this morning.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Cool!  Free pest control.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice tidy space.

I'd keep the snake around.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Mouse got up inside one of my CNC mills. Chewed through several wires and ribbon cables and pissed all over several circuit boards.

Made a nest up in the control console.  Mouse is long gone but damage remains. I have obtained most of the required replacement parts but have not had time to really tear into the problem.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Yip, ive had mice chew plug wires in Blazer, snake is non destructive, i jus hope it doesnt get up in truck or mower.

Quoted:
Nice tidy space.

I'd keep the snake around.
View Quote
Yea , we have an understanding, he dont bother me, i dont bother him. With all mice issues, kinda glad he around.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#27]
* update*

Found mouse in mower and juvenile rat snake hanging on the boards hanging out.

Ive tried the mouse repellent , absolutely does not work. Even have baited trap on mower deck, no go. Had a shot on the mouse, but was at such a weird angle, couldnt get it, last i seen of it for the evening. Gonna try multiple traps.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I have had great luck with sticky traps in my hanger
with or without a piece of dog food in the middle.
But I have to hide them under shelves, etc at home,
so the dogs don't step in them.

Simple, effective, and non-poisonous.

John
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#29]
We had packrats getting into our cars.
A small cardboard pack of bounce dryer sheets in each car is supposed to help. Going on 6-8 months now, I think.
No return...yet.

We were going to try peppermint essential oil next.

They were building a nest in my tractor engine compartment, in my open shed, until I started to leave the hood up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top