Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2018 3:38:34 PM EDT
Anyone know of a shop/person who can/will program Motorola HTs pro bono or for a price to a non commercial user? Gear would be legitimately acquired, though for amateur and personal use only.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in Bastrop.

What radios? What are you wanting programmed into them?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#2]
XPR 7550e and MAYBE in the future an APX8000. The 7550 is already programmed, but might want to change something. I don't have an 8000 now, but just looking ahead. I'd just want to program all of the freqs I have/use for ham/emcomm/ARES/etc.

I want to get more involved with ARES and SAR if possible, I'd like to use a commercial rig since I also use it in the field hunting/fishing/etc.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Completely understand. All I use is Moto gear. You could say I'm a Moto snob.

I can help you out with the programming if you ever need it. I have all the software from the APX on down.

I personally use XTL/XTS but my primary portable is a 7000. I have a 7550 but it rarely gets turned on. I want to get an 8000 but I want an M11/9 more.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#4]
That's great to know, thanks for the offering. I'm beating around the bush, and saving a few pennies, but might pull the trigger on an all-band 8000 with FPP in the next few months. I'll be sure to reach out to you if I do.

Are you in the communication field, or is this just a hobby?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The APX8K is hellaciously expensive but yes, I DO want one.  I'm a Moto veteran user (lots of Harris experience, too) but it'd be nice to shrink down to ONE all-band radio for all needs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The APX8K is hellaciously expensive but yes, I DO want one.  I'm a Moto veteran user (lots of Harris experience, too) but it'd be nice to shrink down to ONE all-band radio for all needs.
View Quote
Yeah, they are available with all-band for $3,800. You're right, that is a lot of money if you are not paid to use the radio. I still want one, though, and knowing myself I'll likely fork over the cash for one sooner or later.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
SAR

LOL
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:37:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I can help you out with the programming if you ever need it. I have all the software from the APX on down.

I personally use XTL/XTS but my primary portable is a 7000. I have a 7550 but it rarely gets turned on. I want to get an 8000 but I want an M11/9 more.
View Quote
Out of curiosity, how do you have your 7000 programmed, regarding amateur radio? How many freqs do you have any how many different zones are required to hold them?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's great to know, thanks for the offering. I'm beating around the bush, and saving a few pennies, but might pull the trigger on an all-band 8000 with FPP in the next few months. I'll be sure to reach out to you if I do.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just a hobby for the most part.

Quoted:

Out of curiosity, how do you have your 7000 programmed, regarding amateur radio? How many freqs do you have any how many different zones are required to hold them?
It's a v/8 radio. I have a couple of zones for ham and vhf LMR that I have access to. One zone has my common use stuff and the other has most of the VHF repeaters in the area. The rest of my zones are all 800 trunked stuff (it pays to have friends in the right places.)

The nice thing is you're not limited to 16 channels per zone. A lot of my zones have more than 16 channels. But with a radio with the rear display it's easy to navigate to whatever channel you want.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just a hobby for the most part.

It's a v/8 radio. I have a couple of zones for ham and vhf LMR that I have access to. One zone has my common use stuff and the other has most of the VHF repeaters in the area. The rest of my zones are all 800 trunked stuff (it pays to have friends in the right places.)

The nice thing is you're not limited to 16 channels per zone. A lot of my zones have more than 16 channels. But with a radio with the rear display it's easy to navigate to whatever channel you want.
View Quote
Good info - thanks.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I vote for TLF..He has helped me in the past.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
If the 8000 had 900 MHz instead of 7/800 I'd sell all my other Motorolas and buy one. 2m/440/900 in one HT would be amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top