Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2020 8:44:26 PM EDT
Based on research I did about 5 years ago, I'm thinking that Japan manufactured rechargeable batteries would be the best option, but I have a feeling some of you guys have done some more timely research.

At one point amazon offered Japan made amazon branded rechargeable batteries [rebranded eneloops from what I can figure out] that had a great reputation for a good quality rechargeable battery at a great price. Reading the reviews, it appears that they may have shifted most, if not all of those to China...but I'm not 100% sure.

What's the rechargeable battery of choice for AR15.com?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Panasonic Eneloop
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Panasonic Eneloop
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Panasonic Eneloop
View Quote

These or the Amazon Hicap
I have 3 of these EBL chargers, they work great.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

These or the Amazon Hicap
I have 3 of these EBL chargers, they work great.
View Quote

So which of the amazon rechargeable batteries are the quality ones? A link to the ones that can be trusted would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Anything made at the Fujitsu owned FDK plant, which makes Eneloops for Panasonic, since they divested themselves of the factory, technology and patents for the LSD NiMH chemistry.

Chris

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:10:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Panasonic Eneloop
View Quote

Yup, charging some of the AA's now.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:34:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for Eneloop batteries. Their regular ones last the best. Their high capacity ones may not last as long but when they are working well should have more capacity than the regular ones.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The IKEA Ladda batteries are supposed to be equivalent to the Eneloop Pro batteries, also made in that FDK plant in Japan.

They are available for $6.99/4-pack in both AA and AAA.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:19:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The IKEA Ladda batteries are supposed to be equivalent to the Eneloop Pro batteries, also made in that FDK plant in Japan.

They are available for $6.99/4-pack in both AA and AAA.
View Quote

@ecidious
Where? Prices I'm seeing are closer to $3.50/cell for eneloop pros... under $2/cell sounds good.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@ecidious
Where? Prices I'm seeing are closer to $3.50/cell for eneloop pros... under $2/cell sounds good.
View Quote

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ladda-rechargeable-battery-70303876/
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Ah, I misread his post. I thought he was saying the Eneloop Pros can be had for $6.99...
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Panasonic Eneloop
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ah, I misread his post. I thought he was saying the Eneloop Pros can be had for $6.99...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I’m done buying FDK (Fujitsu, or Panasonic) hi-caps— 2400mAh-2500mAh because they only last between 2, maybe 2.5 years before they’re toast and need to be recycled, or used in wall clocks or remotes.

Just the nature of the beast.

Hi-caps are fine if you need 20% more capacity here and now.

Anywhere from $10 per quad to $13 per quad.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I’m done buying FDK (Fujitsu, or Panasonic) hi-caps— 2400mAh-2500mAh because they only last between 2, maybe 2.5 years before they’re toast and need to be recycled, or used in wall clocks or remotes.

Just the nature of the beast.

Hi-caps are fine if you need 20% more capacity here and now.

Anywhere from $10 per quad to $13 per quad.

Chris
View Quote

I was just going to say this.  I've "tossed" several of the higher capacity batteries as they have really gone boots up faster than LSD batteries. I'm using my Pro's solely for some Baofeng radio battery adapters, however they just don't hold a charge and I get a much higher failure rate on some I purchased less than 10 years ago.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I’ve been keeping up with this thread and today had the chance to observe something.

I found my AA stash that I carry when traveling. I always charge them all before a trip. Among them are a set of white Eneloops that are about two years old, and a set of Harbor Freight NiMH that are about a year old

They were all charged about three weeks ago. I wish I would have thought to check them with a multimeter before I put them on the charger.

Lined them all up in my Maha charger. Not sure the model number but it holds eight AAs at a time and costs about $90. I always use the slow charge option.

As the batteries began to charge, the little meter display was interesting. The Eneloops all showed about 3/4 of a charge remaining, while the HF batteries were around 1/4.

My unscientific conclusion is that Eneloops live up to their claimed ability to hold a charge in storage.
View Quote

Low self discharge (Eneloops) vs. high self discharge (HF).

I did a one year test with three quality LSD brands: Eneloop Gen. 2 2000mAh AAs, GP ReCyKo 2150 mAh, and Imedion 2250 mAh AAs.

After a year passed, the Enloops had lost 13+%, the GPs had lost 17+% and the Imedions had lost 31+%, which is still pretty good.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I did a one year test with three quality LSD brands: Eneloop Gen. 2 2000mAh AAs, GP ReCyKo 2150 mAh, and Imedion 2250 mAh AAs.

After a year passed, the Enloops had lost 13+%, the GPs had lost 17+% and the Imedions had lost 31+%, which is still pretty good.

Chris
View Quote

Can you clarify?

You did a 1 year self-discharge test and they lost that much charge after 1 year of controlled storage?

Or you did a 1 year capacity test and after 1 year each had lost that much capacity?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Eneloops, but my last few purchases have been ikea.

i can't tell a difference
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Can you clarify?

You did a 1 year self-discharge test and they lost that much charge after 1 year of controlled storage?

Or you did a 1 year capacity test and after 1 year each had lost that much capacity?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Can you clarify?

To clarify and I apologize for any confusion, they had lost that much in stored energy—after being charged to 100%.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:47:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

To clarify and I apologize for any confusion, they had lost that much in stored energy—after being charged to 100%.

Chris
View Quote

Thanks!

I'm still rolling with eneloops in my important stuff but found out my wife has been using them in kids toys and then forgetting to take them out before taking toys to the thrift store when our kids outgrow them. I found a bubble machine in the trash a while back after she helped clean the garage. The power button got pressed and it was in there making noise. I dug it out and found 2 of my original white Eneloops from ~2007 in it.

There's no telling how many I've lost to her carelessness but I know I need more. I have loads of cheap NIMH batts for kids toys but she likes the Eneloops bc they last longer.

And I think I'll be keeping my batts in a secret spot from now on.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This
View Quote
Exactly. Don't mess around and just get the eneloops. Even ones that are usually rebranded eneloops sometimes switch up suppliers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Where do the rechargeable Lithium batteries fall in? Are they junk and should one stick with the Ikeas or Eneloop batteries?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Where do the rechargeable Lithium batteries fall in? Are they junk and should one stick with the Ikeas or Eneloop batteries?
View Quote

They’re out there and have their place for AA/AAA apps, but I never felt the need to delve into them. They’re made by somewhat ‘unknown’ companies, so overall quality and longevity are somewhat ‘iffy, IMO.’

They do provide a flat discharge curve before crashing, but they’re mostly a ‘low drain’ power source.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks!

I'm still rolling with eneloops in my important stuff but found out my wife has been using them in kids toys and then forgetting to take them out before taking toys to the thrift store when our kids outgrow them. I found a bubble machine in the trash a while back after she helped clean the garage. The power button got pressed and it was in there making noise. I dug it out and found 2 of my original white Eneloops from ~2007 in it.

There's no telling how many I've lost to her carelessness but I know I need more. I have loads of cheap NIMH batts for kids toys but she likes the Eneloops bc they last longer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Thanks!

I made a rule several years ago that ZERO kid toys were allowed to be given away or sold without my inspection. I know I still missed a few that slipped through the various purges but I managed to hold on to most of my eneloops. For super cheap toys that don’t draw much power, I keep Costco bulk packs of AA and AAA alkalines. Yes, I get a few leakers here and there but it beats having an equivalent inventory of eneloops. I’m sure I still have 60-80 spread around as is.

At this point all of my stuff is eneloop or li-ion, with a few lithium disposables filling in some important niches here and there.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:32:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Anecdotal but, I have some Eneloop AA's that I know I bought pre 2010 that still work fine. Maybe they are 80% of the new level but still charge and hold a charge.
Every night my wife and I read to our boys. Usually 15-20 minutes. The way there rooms are there's nowhere for a lamp so we use headlamps. I am constantly charging AAA batteries. I had two of the Ikea batteries fail this week. They are much newer than the Eneloops.

I will still buy more of the Ikea, because they're usually so cheaper, but when I see a slickdeals deal on Eneloops I get more.

Tip. We have one of those little label maker machines, I try to put the date on all the rechargeables. I used to have 3 sets for my camera flash. Those I would label and charge in sets, to try to keep the number of charge cycles the same.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top