Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2018 5:31:38 PM EDT
If I'm running duel 102 antennas with a 70-90 watt 10 meter while I'm transmitting and receiving and the antennas are swinging and hitting the body and each other can/will it blow up my radio?

This happened with a radio last winter, I was stuck in a hole and talking with the person pulling me out 15-20 feet away. He was running a pos uniden $70 radio, I was on my Stryker. the finals blew out if that helps to clarify.

I want to know if that was the issue or if it was just a defect. It was under warranty and was covered but I want to avoid it happening again and also go 4 wheeling without burning up my radio every time
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#1]
IF you're actually licensed to operate on 10 meters, the answer should be clear.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IF you're actually licensed to operate on 10 meters, the answer should be clear.
View Quote
I am licensed, and was looking for some info not a runaround thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Its going to be changing the SWR quite a bit. The finals in the radio probably wont appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Its going to be changing the SWR quite a bit. The finals in the radio probably wont appreciate it.
View Quote
Is their a coating or something that I can apply to the whips without messing up output? I am not into the tennis ball thing and don't worry about scratchs.

Should I forget the 102's and go with something more rigid
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#5]
What isyour rationale for dual whips?
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What isyour rationale for dual whips?
View Quote
It seemed to work better, wave was great, swr was under 1 and I could receive south America from northern maine. I'm not for it 100% though so I'm up for what will work best, I'm also thinking about installing radio in a different truck
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Long piece of heat shrink tubing will prevent a direct short to ground but the SWR will still be sky high

when the whip is near the body of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Long piece of heat shrink tubing will prevent a direct short to ground but the SWR will still be sky high

View Quote
we used to use a section of Garden Hose
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Please refrain from this type of response on this forum. We are here to help.

QRZ is that way.------>
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Swr's were really low, under 1
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm all for using a different antenna as I'm taking the radio out of a 4runner and putting it into a '74 power wagon. I can't imagine where I would put a 102 on that so I will keep the duel 102's on the 4runner and figure out something for the power wagon
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#12]
It may or may not operate on 11 meter if a certain diode were to "fall out".
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Swr's were really low, under 1
View Quote
Under 1 with the whips spaced away from the body by inches, not .020 of an inch like if

the whip is against the body with heat shrink in place. You can test this theory by setting up

your SWR meter and watch it as you or someone else pushes the whip(s) towards the body

with an insulated pole or wooden stick several feet long.  The SWR will fluctuate and get higher

as it nears the body.

I love 102 inch whips and have one on my Jeep. It's mounted above the right tail light on a spring.

I have a clip on the windshield frame to hook it to if I want to get into a parking garage etc..

I've watched the SWR when wheeling and it swings wildly when it's whipping back and forth

especially when it contacts tree limbs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Under 1 with the whips spaced away from the body by inches, not .020 of an inch like if

the whip is against the body with heat shrink in place. You can test this theory by setting up

your SWR meter and watch it as you or someone else pushes the whip(s) towards the body

with an insulated pole or wooden stick several feet long.  The SWR will fluctuate and get higher

as it nears the body.

I love 102 inch whips and have one on my Jeep. It's mounted above the right tail light on a spring.

I have a clip on the windshield frame to hook it to if I want to get into a parking garage etc..

I've watched the SWR when wheeling and it swings wildly when it's whipping back and forth

especially when it contacts tree limbs.
View Quote
They are on either side of a Toyota 4runner probably about 2-3 inches from body.

I too fabricated some hooks to hold them from swinging, but that affects power a lot.

I will try to figure out a better option to avoid the whipping although the power wagon will be a work truck and not to be used for "fun" so I don't think I will use any 102s on that. I do want the best I can get for it though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#15]
POS uniden? What awesome “10 meter” rig do you have yourself there? A galaxy? Connex?

I have no problem with CB and there are even some pictures of my 7100 in my truck tuned into ch19, but at least call it like it is. No one here is fooled.

SWR is a very small part of an antennas efficiency. You probably loose more signal in the T and extra coax then another antenna would make up. Plus there are effects of phasing which makes your signal no longer omnidirectional.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
POS uniden? What awesome “10 meter” rig do you have yourself there? A galaxy? Connex?

I have no problem with CB and there are even some pictures of my 7100 in my truck tuned into ch19, but at least call it like it is. No one here is fooled.

SWR is a very small part of an antennas efficiency. You probably loose more signal in the T and extra coax then another antenna would make up. Plus there are effects of phasing which makes your signal no longer omnidirectional.
View Quote
Are you serious? Did you stop reading after uniden? The very next line mentioned what I was using. Pay attention. I guess at least one person here was fooled...you.

What does cb have to do with any of this? My radio will not operate on 11 meter unless some electronics are modified and that would be illegal.

I wasnt running a T, I have a tuned duel antenna cable with no extra.

Go back to GD if you want to throw rocks, I'm just looking for some info and guidence
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Haha I had no idea Stryker made radios, they match the expectation I had.

Tuned cable? What are you talking about a cable that terminates to two antennas is somehow different then a T? Guess what you still sending -3db to each antenna that has 0 gain.

Hopefully that diode don’t fall out your radio
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#18]
On the highway 102's will be fine. it's when they are whipping around

wildly or pressed against some nearby object is where problems begin.

gcw is right though. You would be better served by a single whip installed

in the center of the roof if possible. Even if the SWR is good, radiation

efficiency on a mobile whip is low and phasing antennas makes them

directional. The direction of the signal depends on phasing and in some

cases it doesn't work to your advantage while mobile.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#19]
But because I really enjoy this forum I will make a serious post.

Yes your antennas swinging around and possibly shorting out on a grounded body panel or worst each other, is more than capable of running the final stage of the amplifier.

The uniden the other driver had would only be a 4w radio and given the great losses in most CB installs was radiating very little energy in comparison to your setup. So was most likely not the cause of damage.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
On the highway 102's will be fine. it's when they are whipping around

wildly or pressed against some nearby object is where problems begin.

gcw is right though. You would be better served by a single whip installed

in the center of the roof if possible. Even if the SWR is good, radiation

efficiency on a mobile whip is low and phasing antennas makes them

directional. The direction of the signal depends on phasing and in some

cases it doesn't work to your advantage while mobile.
View Quote
I did notice that it made a huge difference which direction I was facing, I like that in my 4 wheeler just for the distance I can reach out but might not so much in my road vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
But because I really enjoy this forum I will make a serious post.

Yes your antennas swinging around and possibly shorting out on a grounded body panel or worst each other, is more than capable of running the final stage of the amplifier.

The uniden the other driver had would only be a 4w radio and given the great losses in most CB installs was radiating very little energy in comparison to your setup. So was most likely not the cause of damage.
View Quote
Thank you, that is useful info.

Btw, the Stryker is a pretty decent radio, it beats my alinco hands down at least in ease of operation, much better than my old galaxy dx-66v and compared to my yaesu 6 meter it holds its own for what it is.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#22]
What suggestions would any of you have for a 10 meter antenna that I can mount on a pickup truck?
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Haha I had no idea Stryker made radios, they match the expectation I had.

Tuned cable? What are you talking about a cable that terminates to two antennas is somehow different then a T? Guess what you still sending -3db to each antenna that has 0 gain.

Hopefully that diode don’t fall out your radio
View Quote
Yes, its not two separate cables plugged into a T,  but one the splits into two and has been tuned to the proper  length that resonates with the antennas. It does make a difference.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What suggestions would any of you have for a 10 meter antenna that I can mount on a pickup truck?
View Quote
A Wilson 1000 mounted in the center of the roof if it will be a road vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you. You've helped a lot.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
this, even though I was a HUGE K-40 fan back in the day
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#27]
"duel"
"duel 102 antennas"
"70-90 watt...Stryker" (with 6 different roger beeps )
"wave was great" (What the hell does this mean? )
"swr was under 1" (Since the lowest SWR is 1:1 that's not possible)

Sorry OP. You may be licensed, and all of your radio operations may be perfectly legal, but all of these things are strong and classic indicators of illegal CB operations. Just so you know, in case you were wondering why some folks had a negative reaction to any of your posts, etc., etc.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Man my spelling was all off last night
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
"duel"
"duel 102 antennas"

Sorry OP. You may be licensed, and all of your radio operations may be perfectly legal, but all of these things are strong and classic indicators of illegal CB operations. Just so you know, in case you were wondering why some folks had a negative reaction to any of your posts, etc., etc.
View Quote
Cool contribution, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Man my spelling was all off last night
View Quote
Pffft.  It turns out you were easy to understand, and I don't think we're being graded
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
"duel"
"duel 102 antennas"

View Quote
Exactly what I thought.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Agreed

Quoted:
"duel"
"duel 102 antennas"

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

Too soon??
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Timing isn't your problem
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Jeebers. I sure hope this forum doesn't turn into QRZ.

We all started somewhere and even yours truly came from the CB world.

On that note..."four pieces of glass will get a tetrode stuck in your @$$".

No Excuses On Da Bowl by Prime Minister

KB7DX does not condone illegal operations, but you all have to admit, it's a pretty

funny song.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#36]
co phasing 2 quarter waves should be spaced about 8.5 ft apart. 1/4 wave

If you imagine seeing a typical 18wheeler arrangement, his propagation has gain in front of, and behind his truck.

and less off to the sides.

moving the 2 antennas closer than 1/4 wave apart is less than ideal.

you can put shrink wrap over the whips, but RF is NOT DC and your SWR can skyrocket due to capacitive reactance

also the term is SWR, not swr's

what "POS uniden" works on the ham bands ?

10 meter propagation isn't best these days du to the sunspot cycle, in other words, you ain't gonna hear as much "helllllo skipland hellllo skipland"

It doesn't really matter if you're running a 4 watt CB, or a 200 watt TS-480, co phased 102" whips clanging around the truck body is how you blow up finals.

Attachment Attached File

birdseye view of 18wheeler, red is antenna propagation radiation pattern ( when actually placed 1/4 wave apart.)
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
co phasing 2 quarter waves should be spaced about 8.5 ft apart. 1/4 wave

If you imagine seeing a typical 18wheeler arrangement, his propagation has gain in front of, and behind his truck.

and less off to the sides.

moving the 2 antennas closer than 1/4 wave apart is less than ideal.

you can put shrink wrap over the whips, but RF is NOT DC and your SWR can skyrocket due to capacitive reactance

also the term is SWR, not swr's

what "POS uniden" works on the ham bands ?

10 meter propagation isn't best these days du to the sunspot cycle, in other words, you ain't gonna hear as much "helllllo skipland hellllo skipland"

It doesn't really matter if you're running a 4 watt CB, or a 200 watt TS-480, co phased 102" whips clanging around the truck body is how you blow up finals.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/D21A337C-0F24-4626-BB76-EFF1F93F0FD2-455483.JPG

birdseye view of 18wheeler, red is antenna propagation radiation pattern ( when actually placed 1/4 wave apart.)
View Quote
That all makes sense and I will only be running one antenna on this new setup, well one for 10 meter and maybe one for 11 just so I can reach out if need be ( I work on stones in cemeteries in the middle of nowhere with no cell signals). Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Why does this entire thread make me feel dirty...
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Jeebers. I sure hope this forum doesn't turn into QRZ.

We all started somewhere and even yours truly came from the CB world.

On that note..."four pieces of glass will get a tetrode stuck in your @$$".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IfS4oMa1Jg

KB7DX does not condone illegal operations, but you all have to admit, it's a pretty

funny song.
View Quote
I do appreciate all the help I've gotten here, it seems like a crazy amount of info in this field once I have started to purchase bigger and better equipment. I still haven't started to setup my base rig yet out of worry of blowing that up, a $600 mobile radio was bad enough and the base antenna options are overwhelming to say the least.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why would it if you aren't?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
because the OP is trying to bullshit everyone into thinking this is a ham question.

when he should have just said CB, and left the illegal power output out,  which would have resulted in less flak

[shrug]
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:41:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

because the OP is trying to bullshit everyone into thinking this is a ham question.

when he should have just said CB, and left the illegal power output out,  which would have resulted in less flak

[shrug]
View Quote
The radio will not operate on cb band,  it only operates on 10 meter, that's why I said 10 meter.

Which part of that code are you having trouble cracking?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:45:03 AM EDT
[#43]
"I still haven't started to setup my base rig yet out of worry of blowing that up" (no ham worries about this--they buy a quality radio and pair it with a properly configured, quality antenna, and tuner if necessary)
"a $600 mobile radio was bad enough" (no ham would spend this on a 10M radio, they would buy an Icom-718 brand new for the same money and have a nice 10 to 160M radio that won't blow up if you run it into some challenging VSWR situations--by accident)
"and the base antenna options are overwhelming to say the least" (again, no ham would say this, they'd just put up a 10M dipole or vertical--things only get challenging when you look at all the CB options and start believing the BS)

Three more things only a CB'er would say. Just sayin'...

If you are a ham coming over from the CB world, then throw away everything you thought you knew and start over. And you won't be communicating with anyone that has a Uniden radio, at least not on the ham bands.

If you aren't...
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
"I still haven't started to setup my base rig yet out of worry of blowing that up" (no ham worries about this--they buy a quality radio and pair it with a properly configured, quality antenna, and tuner if necessary)
"a $600 mobile radio was bad enough" (no ham would spend this on a 10M radio, they would buy an Icom-718 brand new for the same money and have a nice 10 to 160M radio that won't blow up if you run it into some challenging VSWR situations--by accident)
"and the base antenna options are overwhelming to say the least" (again, no ham would say this, they'd just put up a 10M dipole or vertical--things only get challenging when you look at all the CB options and start believing the BS)

Three more things only a CB'er would say. Just sayin'...

If you are a ham coming over from the CB world, then throw away everything you thought you knew and start over. And you won't be communicating with anyone that has a Uniden radio, at least not on the ham bands.

If you aren't...
View Quote
It seems like common sense at this point that at least one ham would do all the things you claim no ham would do...this one.
If you ham experts want to throw rocks the least you could do is pay attention to obvious details before people start to think you don't know it all.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#45]
what model radio is it ?

can you post pics of the radio and antennas ?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Its a Stryker Sr-955, aftermarket Mic I can't remember all the details of the work that was done without looking through paperwork.

The antennas are duel 102 whips, ball mounts, springs ECT attached about 6 inches from the taillights on either side of a Toyota 4runner.

Cables were tuned and cut to proper length for optimal resonance using some star trek looking equipment

I don't have a photo host so I can't post any pics.

I'm now convinced from those that have given input and advice that the antennas slapping around on the truck body and each other is what burnt the finals out so I will not be using this setup again. On the new setup in the other truck I will have only one antenna and whatever I use will not be able to ground on anything and the vehicle will not be used for fun.

I understand that 10 meter works best according to sun cycles now( had no idea when purchased), but thats not really my issue. I purchased the radio a year or so ago then got licensed while I waited for it to arrive now I'm waiting to get it set back up and just look forward to making contacts.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#47]
This ?

How long have you been a ham ?

What license do you have ? technician ? General ? advanced ? ect.?

Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This ?

http://cbradiomagazine.com/Radio%20Reviews/Stryker%20SR-955HP/Web/IMG_4270%20(Copy).JPG

How long have you been a ham ?

What license do you have ? technician ? General ? advanced ? ect.?

View Quote
That looks like it. I got my technician about a year ago, I bought a bunch of radios right off the bat( most of which are not currently set up) and started making contacts mostly on a little wouxan kg-uv9d that seems to work fairly well off of the repeater system around most of the state of Maine.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Nobody is buyin’ what you’re sellin’
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

...the least you could do is pay attention to obvious details...
View Quote
Sadly, that is exactly what we are doing. Technician license notwithstanding, it's a safe bet nearly everyone in this thread believes that you are using this radio on or near CB frequencies, and not as a conventional 10M amateur radio.

If you are serious about ham radio and want to operate on 10M, then here is some free advice: sell the junk and buy a higher quality radio. I bet you could get $300 for that Stryker, cause, you know, it's got echo and roger beeps and all that, and because "its been worked on". Sell one other radio that you bought "right off the bat" and now go buy a used Icom 718. They go for about $450 on qth.com, eham.net, etc. Then get yourself a good, quality, simple, bread and butter ham-stick type antenna, like these. Read this web site to learn how to install it, primarily about power wiring and grounding. Install in accordance with what you read there. Tune the antenna length using the SWR meter built into the 718, no Star Trek equipment required.

Right now 10M is dead. So upgrade to general and buy ham sticks for the other bands. Given where we are in the solar cycle, without even trying you'll be able to make lots of contacts on 20M in the daytime, 40M in the afternoon, 80M later in the afternoon and evening. You'll have a lot more fun.

However, if all you want to do is talk to your buddy with the Uniden when he's pulling you out of a mud-hole, then buy a legit CB and be done with it. At legit CB radio power levels you won't "blow your finals" no matter how much the antennas slap around.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top