Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2017 10:36:48 PM EDT
I drew a bear tag in the lottery for this year's hunt in unit 26.  I have a guide I used before on a deer hunt, and I've seen a little of the area.  I'll be hunting near Cook.

Here are my questions:

1.  What part of bear season is traditionally the best?   I was considering going the last week of the season.  

2.   Is a sidearm a good idea when bear hunting in this part of the country?   I usually have a sidearm whenever I'm hunting.  

3.  Will I need a Minnesota permit to carry while hunting?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
No one has any wisdom to share?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By paulthepreacherman:
No one has any wisdom to share?
View Quote
I came in here hoping for some bear hunting knowledge as its something im interested in.
I'm afraid i dont have much to offer on that.

as for a sidearm while hunting i do not believe you need a PTC for that as long as its only while you are out hunting.
once you leave the field and jump in your truck be sure to unload and case it just like a rifle.
Also, im not sure if there are any rules/laws for bear hunting that would prohibit you from having a side arm.

Sorry i couldnt be of more help, best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:34:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 70worm] [#3]
Does Minnesota even allow people to carry handguns? They do not honor a lot of other states permits. They do not honor mine. Indiana.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:31:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrozenWinter] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 70worm:
Does Minnesota even allow people to carry handguns? They do not honor a lot of other states permits. They do not honor mine. Indiana.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html
View Quote
Yes, we are a shall issue state.
The lack of reciprocity has to do with the wording of the law.
it stated that reciprocity would be granted to any state with a "substantially similar" training requirement.
Dems making the decisions took that to mean "more strict training requirement"

That has been changed now, not sure if its gone into effect yet or not.
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Pages/permit-to-carry-reciprocity.aspx
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#5]
First off, You are one lucky SOB and I'm jealous. 

Anyways, statistically the first week of the season is when around 8- percent of the bears harvested are harvested. The second week is another high number as well so I would try to get in during that time period. Bears are not dumb by any sense of the word and will wise up over time however I got mine the second to last day of the season last year. 

I carry a sidearm every time I'm out in my bait area as dominant boars have been known to be aggressive if they feel their food source is threatened and they're incredibly fast and quite creatures. It can only help you.

I suggest you get your permit either way however one can have a sidearm with them while afield while hunting black bears in MN however it cannot be transported in a vehicle or anything along those lines. Essentially, only to and from your stand.

If you have any other questions about bear hunting in MN, feel free to PM me and I will help in any way I can. I love to hunt bears and love even more to help others harvest theirs.

Happy hunting OP!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, the harvest report for 2016 is now published on this site, http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/bear/index.html

It can be found on the bottom portion of the page. This report will answer questions about the bear hunt last year that you've not thought of yet. A lot of fun to review.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#7]
WI bear hunter here.  Not sure when your season starts, but ours starts this Wednesday.  From the guys I talk to and hunt with, and from personal experience, the sooner the better.  Around here, acorns and other mast trees start dropping like crazy, and the bears switch to that.  Not to mention there is a lot more human presence near baits and deer season opens also.  Throughout all of my bear seasons, I've only seen bear within the first two weeks of the opener.  After that, it tapers off until the cold weather hits.  Then the sows and cubs tend to start denning up and that's when I've seen the boars out about more trying to fatten up that last little bit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 7:32:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TooTech] [#8]
I got a tag for unit 25, up in the area of Voyageurs National Park.

Never been bear hunting before, but I've got a guide who comes highly recommended by friends.

As for a handgun, I'l just stick with my rifle. I don't believe it would offer any advantage over my AR10 and it just one more thing to carry and get in the way.

I'll be out hunting on opener, which is September 1st.

-------------------------

Dang! Just realized that I've just revived a zombie thread.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I just put in for points this year.  I didn't get to go.  My boss dropped the ball on my leave
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got drawn, so this will be my first year hunting.  Looks like a quiet forum though to discuss in.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#11]
What zone did you draw?
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok,  I was going to recommend an outfitter if you were in 26.  I hope you get one.  Post a pic if so
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#14]
The first day of the first season is the very best. If you have the option do not pick the last week. Every day that goes by there are more and more people in the woods which changes travel patterns and make bears nocturnal. Get it done and fast!!

Why not carry a sidearm?
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok.  So I’m going to revive my own Zombie thread.

@Foulguy44
@FrozenWinter
@70worm
@jasonprox700
@TooTech
@WeaselMaster
@Uplandhntr

Chime in!!

I drew for this year. I couldn’t draw in 2018 because I couldn’t use my license in 2018. So I plan on going the first week. Tell me about your harvests.  What temps should I plan for?  I am driving and taking my 4wheeler.  I am going to use my AR10.  I will hunt with Horse Creek Outdoor Adventures near Cook MN.

Guide Webpage Here

I will take any advice.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Going the first week like you’re doing is the best recipe for success.

Weather can be all over the place.  I’ve had nice, mild days that the bears like.  I’ve also had an opener that was in the 90’s.  Bears do not move unless late at night and if you’re right next to water (creeks).

I used my DPMS G2 308 stoked with 165 Nosler AB’s.  Didn’t harvest a bear with them, but they work great on whitetail’s.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Definitely first week is the best.  Second week as next best.  
Does the guide take you to the stand?  If so, absolutely do not get out of the tree until the guide gets back and tells you to climb down.  Seen a lot of bait sites go cold because the hunter decided to get out of the tree early and walk to the road.  Bears know the sound and smell of the guide and knows they are bringing food.  You make new noise and smell and the bears are gone.  I hunt with a bow but .308 will definitely do the job.  Scent and noise control is critical especially that last half hour of hunting light.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks!!   Good info.  Keep it coming!!   Yes.  The guide walks us in and out.  I’ve been there once before whitetail hunting.  He’s a good guy and runs a tight ship
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top