Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2020 1:11:05 PM EDT
I've got a 2014 Mercury 9.9 4 stroke I bought used last fall.

Prior owner said he ran regular 87 octane with ethanol gas in it. I did an oil change and lower unit gear oil change as soon as I got it home.

I have been using 91 octane no ethanol. It fires right up on the first pull after sitting for a couple weeks, I disconnect the fuel tank line and don't run the outboard out of fuel when I leave the boat ramp.

The last 2 trips out I've had an issue with it stalling after rolling off from full throttle to slow for a fishing spot/dock. It with stumble then die. It fires right back up and takes off. But I think its not running up to its full potential in general, I think it was more loud earlier in the year.

I'm planning on doing new plugs first, then a carb rebuild if plugs don't remedy it.

Anyone experienced this issue?
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuel pump ?

Pump the fuel line bulb, while twisting the throttle.
See if it improves.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Throttle tip in with a stall is usually a lack of fuel from idle circuit to primary circuit.

As it transitions it goes way lean enough to stall it out.

Figure out why.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Main jet is partially plugged. When you accelerate, it leans out and would be the first place it would show up. A bit more and it'll start causing issue at a steady loaded RPM.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Sitting and not running, especially with ethanol gas is bad on the carburetor. My friend runs 100% gas and had to replace the carb last year on the same year motor, but we also use it in a saltwater environment one a year.

Also if you store the motor off the boat make sure to lay it down on the correct side.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 9:31:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Main jet is partially plugged. When you accelerate, it leans out and would be the first place it would show up. A bit more and it'll start causing issue at a steady loaded RPM.
View Quote

Pilot jet (idle jet) probably obstructed.

#10 in this diagram.

Attachment Attached File

#12 is the main jet.

The holes in the idle jet and emulsion tube, #9, are so tiny and they all

must be spotless. This engine type runs extremely lean at idle and any restriction in any of the

jets or passages will cause issues.

<-- Maintains a fleet of these engines.

ETA - All passages in the carb must be spotless, not just the jets/e-tube.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 9:40:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan] [#6]
Carb buy an ultra sonic cleaner.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:

#10 in this diagram.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108158/99carb_jpg-1487119.JPG

#12 is the main jet.

must be spotless. This engine type runs extremely lean at idle and any restriction in any of the

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

#10 in this diagram.

#12 is the main jet.

A big thank you for that diagram. And thanks to everyone else who chimed in.

Any recommendations on where to get a factory service manual for the 9.9? I want to replace the water impeller at the end of the season.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By IntoTheEther:

Any recommendations on where to get a factory service manual for the 9.9? I want to replace the water impeller at the end of the season.
View All Quotes

#10 in this diagram.

#12 is the main jet.

It's stupidly easy, you don't need a manual and if you need any help, there are plenty of vid's on the net to help you.

The hardest part is making sure you unhook the shift linkage under the engine cover and that's not hard, it's just you need to know to do it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#9]

It's stupidly easy, you don't need a manual and if you need any help, there are plenty of vid's on the net to help you.

The hardest part is making sure you unhook the shift linkage under the engine cover and that's not hard, it's just you need to know to do it.
View Quote

Cool.

Anyone care to share their go-to website for ordering Mercury outboard parts?
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 8:18:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#10]

Cool.

View All Quotes

Cool.

Boats.net.

Locally, most any mercury dealer will have the impellers in stock, they are $12-$15 or so for that size. I just did my 6hp Mercury a few weeks ago. The carb rebuild kit I ordered from Boats.net.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Shift linkage is disconnected via a threaded coupler just above the lower unit. You must also remove

the little plastic "catch" that is used for the reverse lock. This plastic catch is held with a screw. The catch

is brittle so be careful with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top