Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Mercury 9.8 Short Shaft (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Well guys I am puzzled. I put the cleaned carb back in but am still getting the same result. When pull started I can hear the engine cycle but there is no sign of life. I can't hear any sign that the engine is trying to start.

I have verified compression, verified spark (with an inline spark tester) and put new plugs in, and cleaned the carberator. I have also verified that the engine is in neutral and tried disconnecting the stop switch to see if that was causing an issue. No luck so far. Any ideas as to what I should look at next?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:28:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: onthebreeze] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rssc:
Well guys I am puzzled. I put the cleaned carb back in but am still getting the same result. When pull started I can hear the engine cycle but there is no sign of life. I can't hear any sign that the engine is trying to start.

I have verified compression, verified spark (with an inline spark tester) and put new plugs in, and cleaned the carberator. I have also verified that the engine is in neutral and tried disconnecting the stop switch to see if that was causing an issue. No luck so far. Any ideas as to what I should look at next?
View Quote

Are you getting fuel into the cylinders? If you pull a plug, is it wet? Did you clean or replace anything in the diaphragm of the carb? This is usually a very gunked up area.

Does it fire if you advance the throttle?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:

Are you getting fuel into the cylinders? If you pull a plug, is it wet? Did you clean or replace anything in the diaphragm of the carb? This is usually a very gunked up area.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I don't feel any moisture on the plugs when pulled. Should they be visibly wet if fuel is entering the cylinder? I did disassemble the fuel pump and replace all the gaskets and the diaphragm. Maybe I need to check that again, to make sure I did it correctly.

Does it fire if you advance the throttle?

By this, do you mean does it fire if I twist the grip/throttle control on the handle? I haven't tried to advance the throttle while starting it. I can give this a try...

By the way, the little lever control on the top of the carb is broken. It is a plastic lever that is turned when you advance the throttle on the tiller control. I am waiting to receive a replacement part. Would this prevent the motor from starting? I didn't think so but now I am second guessing myself.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#4]

I don't feel any moisture on the plugs when pulled. Should they be visibly wet if fuel is entering the cylinder? I did disassemble the fuel pump and replace all the gaskets and the diaphragm. Maybe I need to check that again, to make sure I did it correctly.

By this, do you mean does it fire if I twist the grip/throttle control on the handle? I haven't tried to advance the throttle while starting it. I can give this a try...

By the way, the little lever control on the top of the carb is broken. It is a plastic lever that is turned when you advance the throttle on the tiller control. I am waiting to receive a replacement part. Would this prevent the motor from starting? I didn't think so but now I am second guessing myself.

View Quote

Normally if it is getting fuel, they'll be wet.

Before you do anything else, I'd disconnect the fuel line from the carb and pump the bubble until you get fuel out of the hose. Then hook it back up and pump the bulb until it's firm.

I am not familiar with your specific carb, but on mine, the idle speed adjustment is done on the throttle "lever". It will not start without giving it throttle if the idle adjustment is set too low.

Might try opening the throttle by hand and seeing what happens.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:38:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#5]
I tried spraying fuel into the carb and then pull starting. That didn't do anything. I then used a small straw to put some fuel into the cylinders. The motor then started right up. It appears the current issue is related to fuel delivery and not electrical... is that the concensus?

I also noticed during the short time the engine ran the prop also started spinning (the engine was reving). The motor is currently in neutral. As it currently sits with the motor in neutral and when spinning the prop clockwise by hand, the prop spins but makes a clicking sound. It will not spin counter clockwise. Is this forward?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Normally if it is getting fuel, they'll be wet.

Before you do anything else, I'd disconnect the fuel line from the carb and pump the bubble until you get fuel out of the hose. Then hook it back up and pump the bulb until it's firm.

I am not familiar with your specific carb, but on mine, the idle speed adjustment is done on the throttle "lever". It will not start without giving it throttle if the idle adjustment is set too low.

Might try opening the throttle by hand and seeing what happens.
View Quote

Thanks fir the suggestions. This time around i made sure to prime the bulb before hooking the line up to the engine. That didn't work. I tried using a wrench to give it throttle but might need a second person to do it effectively.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:49:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#7]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:20:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#8]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:

It is a fuel delivery issue whether it's not making it to the carb/pump at all or something in the carb is plugged.

It appears the prop is in forward gear from what you describe. Sometimes a propeller will spin slowly when running in

neutral. This is from the thick gear oil in the lower being stirred up by the pinion gear and becoming a wanna-be

torque converter.

Sounds like something is amiss in the shift linkage or gearcase.

ETA -- Be aware that it can take quite a bit of gas sprayed into a cold 2-stroke to get it to fire.

The fuel has to make it's way all the way through the crankcase before it reaches the cylinder so

be kind of generous with the fuel when spraying through the carb for testing.
View Quote

Ok thanks for the info. I think I have the lower unit gear fixed. I pulled it off and set it and the motor itself to forward. I then reinstalled it. Now when the shifter on the outboard is in neutral the prop spins both ways. When it is in forward the prop makes that clicking sound when spun clockwise and encounters resistance when spun counter clockwise. There is resistance in both directions when in reverse.

I'm scratching my head with regards to the fuel problem. I'm wondering if I made a mistake reassembling the fuel pump side of the carb with the new gaskets and diaphram. The diagram you posted from the Mercury book mentioned a diaphragm. The kit I got had what appeared to be a diaphragm and a gasket. I put both the diaphragm which was very thin and a brownish color along with a thin black rubber gasket.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Ok thanks for the info. I think I have the lower unit gear fixed. I pulled it off and set it and the motor itself to forward. I then reinstalled it. Now when the shifter on the outboard is in neutral the prop spins both ways. When it is in forward the prop makes that clicking sound when spun clockwise and encounters resistance when spun counter clockwise. There is resistance in both directions when in reverse.

I'm scratching my head with regards to the fuel problem. I'm wondering if I made a mistake reassembling the fuel pump side of the carb with the new gaskets and diaphram. The diagram you posted from the Mercury book mentioned a diaphragm. The kit I got had what appeared to be a diaphragm and a gasket. I put both the diaphragm which was very thin and a brownish color along with a thin black rubber gasket.
View Quote

Sounds like you got the gears figured out.

I would give that side of the carb another look while you're waiting for the throttle lever.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Sounds like you got the gears figured out.

I would give that side of the carb another look while you're waiting for the throttle lever.
View Quote

Thanks for the input. I will do that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:13:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#11]
I've been thinking about the whole issue today with the carb and fuel not being delivered to the cylinders. That throttle lever control opens up a valve on the back of the carb that leads to the block. If I remember correctly, the valve is shut when there is not force exerted upon the throttle lever. If this is the case then it seems like not having the lever in place (I am waiting on a replacement lever to fix the broken part) which results in no force, would definitely prevent all or most of the fuel from getting into the engine/cylinders. Also when I got the engine, I noticed that when the twist speed control is in the start position, it did not exert any force on the throttle lever. I'm now thinking that when the engine is being started there should be a least some force exerted upon the throttle lever to open up that rear valve. Any idea if this is this correct?

The throttle lever and value is shown in figure 7 below.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Opening the throttle a bit during a cold start helps more air flow through the

carb. This increases vacuum in the venturi between the throttle plate and the choke plate (assuming it's closed)

and aids in drawing fuel through the jets and up the main nozzle into the carb venturi.

2-strokes can be stubborn to start sometimes but my procedure is to pump the primer bulb

until firm, pull choke "ON", open throttle a bit (usually 1/4 to 1/2) and pull rope start (or crank electric)

until it fires. Once it starts, reduce throttle and push choke "OFF".  Some are pretty cold blooded

and take a while to warm up and get the juices flowing.
View Quote

Thanks for the info KB7DX. I got the new lever throttle in. Installed it and noticed that even just moving the tiller control from shift to start moves the throttle lever which as far as I know opens the  throttle plate. Previously the lever throttle wasn't on so the throttle plate must've been closed all the way. In my very simplistic understanding of how this works, it seems like that would be enough to prevent the motor from starting. This evening I was able to get my GF to use a syringe and spray a little bit of fuel into the carb while I was pulling with the engine control on start. This did cause the engine to Rev up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I got the motor started today. I'm very thankful for everyone's help and advice. This was/is a great learning experience fir me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Great success!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Mercury 9.8 Short Shaft (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top