User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
I just got this in an email from Payless Pet Products:

Note: The Fish Levo and Fish Zithro 500mg is now out of stock and we will not be getting more in the immediate future. Eventually when everything smooths out stock will be available as usual. We will have Fish Zithro 250mg available soon with a different supplier at a higher cost. The other products you purchased will be available but high demand does cause temporary outages. Please keep orders to a minimum.

I am wondering how this might or will be affecting hospitals and pharmacies???
View Quote

It won't.

Outside of azithromycin, there won't be much concern for stocking up on antibiotics during COVID.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I am also requesting a DM\PM with the names and websites of any trustworthy online pharmacies.
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I don’t know what brands are better but the most ready available stuff out there seems to be fish aid brand by Goldman pharmaceuticals out of NY. They are a usp compliant company, I do not know if that means anything other than making sure specified dosage are correct. Might not mean human acceptable grade(free of toxins)?
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Just an FYI.

I bought some from chewy.com

The best I can tell is these are sealed bottles of pills straight from the manufacture and fish label printed on bottle.

Sandoz pharmaceuticals amoxicillin

Ascend Laboratories Cephalexin
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Luckily, I have most of these in my pharmacy at work.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#6]
L&Gs, I haven't read the entire thread, so forgive me if this has been covered.

The US DOD initiated a testing program for a lot of pharmaceuticals, especially antibiotics, to see if they remained viable after their "Use By" dates. They found that many drugs did not age badly! For example:

The SLEP discovered that drugs such as Cipro remained effective nine years after their shelf life, and, as a cost-saving measure, the US military routinely uses a wide range of SLEP tested products past their official shelf life if drugs have been stored properly.[14]
View Quote

https://www.astho.org/Programs/Preparedness/Public-Health-Emergency-Law/Emergency-Use-Authorization-Toolkit/Federal-Shelf-Life-Extension-Program-Fact-Sheet/

There was another common antibiotic (forgot the name) whose viability was described rather torturously as "... did not display a reduction in potency for 2 years after it's use by date..." or something like that. IOW They went out of their way to say that it may have been MORE effective after it's use by date- something my own MD reaffirmed!

tl;dr: As we have suspected all along, many pharmaceuticals are effective way after their "use by" date.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:32:12 AM EDT
[#7]
@coltman77

Consider editing the OP

Cipro is the devil!

Lots of GI’s got fucked up because of it.  FDA even warns against its use unless its really needed.

I attribute many of my injuries and issues from liberal use of it while in the sandbox.

Several of the “Floxacin” antibiotics in the fluoroquinolone family are not good.

However, truthfully I do keep some on hand for a really nasty stubborn infection of certain varieties.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:34:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By boolzi:
Just an FYI.

I bought some from chewy.com

The best I can tell is these are sealed bottles of pills straight from the manufacture and fish label printed on bottle.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/445788/17CFFAF2-A2C0-4573-87ED-0E40905F8A48-1564285.jpg

Sandoz pharmaceuticals amoxicillin

Ascend Laboratories Cephalexin
View Quote

That has been my experience. All my “fish” seem to get the EXACT same pills I’d get from the pharmacy.  

Yay for insurance companies and Big Pharma.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Bumping this where's the go to place for some preps these days?
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]
alldaychemist.com has been great for me.  I've put in 4 different orders this year with great success.  Note, the shipping will take around a month or so.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 1:00:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#11]
Originally Posted By Malarauko:
alldaychemist.com has been great for me.  I've put in 4 different orders this year with great success.  Note, the shipping will take around a month or so.
View Quote

https://www.reliablerxpharmacy.com/ is the same company with the same products and payment as https://www.alldaychemist.com/ but they have different prices, shipping and discount codes (don't order from either without searching for their discount codes) so when you order, run your order up in both and order from the cheapest.

Also a note for people that haven't ordered from them before, just check none on the preexisting conditions and skip the prescription part when you're checking out.

We've been ordering from them for eleven years and have had no problems.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TheFirstAahz:

Correct.  All the "-cillins" are related, so if you're allergic to one, you're allergic to all.  Penicillin, amoxicillin/augmentin, ampicillin, cloxacillin, dicloxacillin, etc. - you get the picture.

My daughter happens to be allergic to the "-cillins" so I'm being sure to stock things she *can* take (such as cephalexin, cefdinir, and azithromycin).  But it's hard getting the unreconstituted dry syrups for these - the online pharmacy I trust carries only amoxicillin and augmentin as dry syrups.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

IIRC neither are a good idea if you're allergic to penicillin..correct?

Correct.  All the "-cillins" are related, so if you're allergic to one, you're allergic to all.  Penicillin, amoxicillin/augmentin, ampicillin, cloxacillin, dicloxacillin, etc. - you get the picture.

My daughter happens to be allergic to the "-cillins" so I'm being sure to stock things she *can* take (such as cephalexin, cefdinir, and azithromycin).  But it's hard getting the unreconstituted dry syrups for these - the online pharmacy I trust carries only amoxicillin and augmentin as dry syrups.
My youngest is allergic to all of the -cillins and omnicef and eggs, which makes survival stuff tough.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MK262:

Just an FYI, 12% of people allergic to penicillin are also allergic to Cephlosporins like cephalexin (Keflex) Cefdinir (Omnicef).
View All Quotes

Just an FYI, 12% of people allergic to penicillin are also allergic to Cephlosporins like cephalexin (Keflex) Cefdinir (Omnicef).
Yep.

We found out the hard way. Glad to know our youngest is exceptional.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

I have NEVER found it to be remotely that high.  I have given 3rd Gen cephalosporins to pen-allergic people with impunity for 20 years... Not a single reaction.  

That's probably a reflection of the fact that most PCN allergies aren't real.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

I have NEVER found it to be remotely that high.  I have given 3rd Gen cephalosporins to pen-allergic people with impunity for 20 years... Not a single reaction.  

That's probably a reflection of the fact that most PCN allergies aren't real.
Sorry for the blast of posts, but can you expound on that? When we gave our son amoxicillin he broke out in hives and the same when we used omnicef, is that not an allergic reaction?

Doc has always prescribed Z Packs for ear infections and strep after those experiences.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 1:09:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I found this document from I believe Mayo Clinic about DoD SLEP findings.

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 1:33:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I would like some input from the pros please.

My fish currently have this stockpiled. All are in sealed containers from fishmoxfishflex.com and are then double vacuum sealed in Foodsaver bags and placed in the deep freezer.

Cephalexin - 250mg x 100
Amoxicillin - 500mg x 200
Ciproflaxin - 500mg x 30
Penicillin - 250mg x 120
Doxycycline - 100mg x 60
Metronidazole 250mg x 60
Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim- 800mg/160mg x 30

Will this cover most bases for two adult fish? Is storing this way the best chance at longevity? Am I missing anything other than Azithromycin which is very hard and expensive to source? Any other advice for me?

I have a copy of Alton's Antibiotics book coming but would love to learn more. I'm hoping to get 10 years out of this stock  when factoring in SLEP findings and this storage method.

@Rich_V
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 12:18:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AS556:
I would like some input from the pros please.

My fish currently have this stockpiled. All are in sealed containers from fishmoxfishflex.com and are then double vacuum sealed in Foodsaver bags and placed in the deep freezer.

Cephalexin - 250mg x 100
Amoxicillin - 500mg x 200
Ciproflaxin - 500mg x 30
Penicillin - 250mg x 120
Doxycycline - 100mg x 60
Metronidazole 250mg x 60
Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim- 800mg/160mg x 30

Will this cover most bases for two adult fish? Is storing this way the best chance at longevity? Am I missing anything other than Azithromycin which is very hard and expensive to source? Any other advice for me?

I have a copy of Alton's Antibiotics book coming but would love to learn more. I'm hoping to get 10 years out of this stock  when factoring in SLEP findings and this storage method.

@Rich_V
View Quote

Not a doc or professional so don't listen to me at all!!!, but the cephalxin (keflex) is usually 500 mg per dose for adults I believe, so halve that amount.   For Cipro, that is only one course for a person, so would not be enough.  Doxy is enough for three courses, personally, I would have more of that.  I believe most adult metronidazole dosing is 400mg per pill, so that is a lower level.  The sulfa is one course for a person.  

Other good ones to have are Levofloxacin and Azithromycin (good for bronchitis, sinus, even some pneumonia), even Clindamycin for deep tissue and bone infections from anaerobic bacteria, particularly for animal bites and can have some MRSA control, though doxy seems to work well for that.  Metronidazole is also a first line defense for c. diff, a bacterial infection in the GI tract that can result from some antibiotics such as Clindamycin.  Oral Vancomycin can treat c. diff only when taken orally, but is a next level.  Levofloxacin has greater coverage than Cipro, side effects from both can be ruptured tendons.  Drugs.com is a good website for also learning about treatments and dosing as well as drug interactions.  

I use to taken sulfa (Bactrim) till I got an allergic reaction one day, so be careful on these.

Gentian Violet can be good for yeast blooms in the mouth that can occur from antibiotics for more serious, I believe there is ketaconozole (sp?).
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone have recommendations on medical books that include info on determining what problems would be treated with what antibiotics? Obviously not something I plan to use while the internet and doctors are available but having a paper copy as a reference seems like a good idea. All the pills in the world won't help much without knowing what ones someone needs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 11:55:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2tired2run] [#19]
Originally Posted By ManyFacets:
Does anyone have recommendations on medical books that include info on determining what problems would be treated with what antibiotics? Obviously not something I plan to use while the internet and doctors are available but having a paper copy as a reference seems like a good idea. All the pills in the world won't help much without knowing what ones someone needs.
View Quote

John Hopkins ABX guide

Antibiotics simplified

Pocket card references can be found on amazon and elsewhere.  just google.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.jasemedical.com/?rfsn=6362261.e777ae

I found this company that will send you a kit of 5 different antibiotics to your door.  There is a dosing guide included.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:02:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManyFacets] [#21]
im not a doctor, these are notes and in no way meant to be medical advice. if something looks off let me know and ill do my best to correct it.

ideally id wanted to put together something for someone who isn't medically trained to still be able to figure out whats going on without the internet and a real doctor. consult a real doctor before taking any meds

Do not freeze: Doxycycline, or anything containing tetracycline See full discussion below on this page, page 17

Originally Posted By Rich_V:
Summary
All solid dose form meds (pills, caps etc.)can be safely stored frozen and will extend the shelf life.
Liquid, gels, salves etc. may not be suitable for freeze storage so avoid freezing these.
Shelf life will approximately double for each 10 degree centigrade drop in temperature from room temp (200  C)
Heat, moisture and light are the main contributors to drug shelf life.
View Quote

*cyclines can become toxic 5-10 years after they expire. Fixed by law by the 90s. Shouldn’t be an issue anymore.

OverView of specific drugs

Cephadex (Keflex) 500 mg, Antibacterial, Treats: various bacterial infections  RTIs, ear infections, skin and skin structure infections, bone infections, and genitourinary infections, including acute prostatitis. Sometimes used for UTI infections. Active ingredient cephalexin, which works by inhibiting the cell wall synthesis of bacteria; the absence of a cell wall causes bacteria's death and cure the infection. Dose: Typically 500mg dose every 12 hours for 7-14 days. Higher for severe infections.

Pentids (Penicillin G) 400 mg, Antibacterial. Contains Penicillin G. Treats It effectively treats infections of the ear, throat, nasal, sinuses, skin and soft tissue, respiratory tract, and STDs like syphilis. Can prevent rheumatic fever. Penicillin G stops bacteria from growing or kills the bacteria. Dose: Do not skip doses. Always finish the full course. Depends on condition and response. Adults Pentids 400 mg with a meal. Diarrhea could indicate the formation of a new infection. If you have bloody or watery diarrhea for more than 24 hours, discontinue treatment.

Ampicillin 250mg is a penicillin antibiotic. Differs from penicillin in structure and can treat some gram negatives. Treats bladder infections, pneumonia, gonorrhea, meningitis, or infections of the stomach or intestines, meningitis (infection of the membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord); and infections of the throat, sinuses, lungs, reproductive organs. Treats E. coli or salmonella infections. Dose: Take this medication by mouth usually 4 times a day (every 6 hours). Take on an empty stomach with a full glass of water.

Dox TSL (Vibramycin) 100mg, Doxycycline Hydrochloride is a tetracycline antibiotic treats Acne Vulgaris, vaginitis, breast cancer, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, genitourinary tract infections, GI infections, heart failure, malaria prophylaxis, ophthalmic infections, plasmodium falciparum malaria, pneumonia, and  RTIs. It acts by killing the growth of bacteria and fights against the infections. Dose: 2 tabs daily first 2 days, then 1 tab daily 7-14 days Full glass of water with each dose. Lots of side effects, dont use with other drugs. Not suitable for patients with myasthenia gravis, pregnant women, or breastfeeding. Use caution with patients with liver or kidney problems.

Flagyl 400mg (Flagyl), Metronidazole 400 mg, Antibacterial. Treats: bacterial and protozoal infections (parasites) not impact on viruses (cold, flu). It contains the active ingredient Metronidazole, which is a antimicrobial. Can treat bacterial infections of the brain, lung, blood, stomach lining, and pelvic area following delivery or in a wound following an operation. Also treats GI tract, skin, heart, bone, joint nervous system. Treats Urinary or genital infections caused by bacteria, gum and teeth infections, stomach ulcers caused by helicobacter pylori, the disease giardiasis, the parasitic disease amoebiasis, or prevents infections occurring after operations. Dose: 400mg 3 times a day with a meal for 7-14 days. Ideally every 8 hours.

Septra DS - aka Bactrim DS(800 + 160)mg is an antimicrobial combination of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole, which is active against various bacteria. Useful for preventing and treating infections of the respiratory, genitourinary, and gastrointestinal tracts. Also middle ear, UT, and intestinal infections. Helps with certain pneumonias. Dose: take with food, drink plenty of water, can cause kidney stones. Take 1 tablet every 12 hours. How long depends on illness. UTIs - 10 to 14 days. Chronic bronchitis - full 14 days. Traveler's diarrhea - 5 days.

Levoflox (Levaquin) 500mg, Antibacterial, contains Levofloxacin, which works by stopping the bacterial enzyme activity called DNA-gyrase. This prevents bacterial cells from dividing, thereby killing them. Treatments (from FDA.gov) Pneumonia, Sinusitis, Bronchitis, Complicated Skin and Skin Structure Infection, Prostatitis. Dose: usually once daily without food or other medications (vitamins, minerals, calcium, and magnesium) at least 2 hours away from anything. Always take full treatment length, usually 7 days 10 if severe, but can be up to 14. 2 months (60 days) for anthrax exposure.
Amoxicillin, 500mg, Antibacterial, Treats: ear, nose, throat infections, skin and skin Structure Infections, lower  RTIs bronchitis, pneumonia, tonsillitis, middles ear infections, sinusitis, abdomen infections, kidneys, and lower UTI
Use 875mg for severe infections. Dose: Take every 8 hours for 10-14 days. Can treat Lyme Disease (500mg every 8 hours 3-4 weeks)

Ciprofloxacin, 500mg, Antibacterial, a fluoroquinolone class of antibiotics. Ciprofloxacin HCl is a synthetic and sterile antimicrobial agent used against a wide range of gram positive and gram negative bacteria. Gram negative bacteria species like Salmonella, Shigella, Campylobacter, Neisseria and pseudomonas. Treats: Sinusitis, Otitis media, Bacterial conjunctivitis, Cystitis, Septicemia, Prostatitis, Typhoid fever, Gonorrhea, Anthrax, Dose: is 500mg every 12 hours. Avoid calcium 4 hours pre/post taking. Take at the same time daily. Don't take if you have diabetes, liver, kidney, or heart problems. Can have (rare) allergic reactions. Has lots of other drug interactions.

Clindamycin 150mg Warning: clindamycin, may cause overgrowth of dangerous bacteria in the large intestine. This may cause mild diarrhea or in severe cases colitis (inflammation of the large intestine). This should only be used to treat serious infections that cannot be treated by other antibiotics.
Treats one of the only things to treat anaerobic bacteria infections of the lungs, skin, blood, female reproductive organs, and internal organs. Clindamycin is in a class of medications called lincomycin antibiotics. Treats acne, anthrax and malaria. Can treat ear infections, tonsillitis, pharyngitis (infection that causes swelling in the back of the throat), and toxoplasmosis (an infection that may cause serious problems in people who do not have healthy immune systems or in unborn babies whose mothers are infected) when these conditions cannot be treated with other medications. Sometimes used for vaginosis, to prevent endocarditis (infection of the heart valves) and in certain people who are at risk of developing infections as a result of a dental procedures. Dose: take every 6 hours 3-4 times a day, 450-600 but up to 900mg for severe infections.

Keflex (Cephalexin) which is given for oral and sinus infections. Due to sensitivities to Penicillin, Keflex is preferred by some dentists for treating abscesses, etc.
Doxycycline is the recommended treatment for Lyme, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Ehrlichiosis - all tickborne.
Flagyl (Metronidazole) is used, as Cipro is, for "deep body" infections. It is also an excellent treatment for Giardia lamblia.
Promethazine (Phenergan) is used to treat nausea, extreme nausea.

Azithromycin (Zithromax) 250mg capsules
This is a broad-spectrum, erythromycin-type antibiotic. It is more potent than erythromycin, causes fewer side-effects, and only has to be taken once a day for five days.  Treats: Tonsillitis, ear infections, bronchitis, pneumonia, sinusitis, traveler's diarrhea, skin infections. Dosage: Take two capsules on the first day, followed by one capsule a day for four more days. WARNING: Do not use if you are allergic to erythromycin. Do use simultaneously with the antihistamines Seldane or Hismanal.

Amoxicillin Clavulanate (Augmentin) 500mg tablets
A broad-spectrum penicillin-type antibiotic. Treats: Bite wounds, skin infections, pneumonia, UTI, bronchitis, tonsillitis and sinusitis. Dosage: One tablet every eight hours, for seven to ten days. WARNING: Do not use if you are allergic to penicillin. Stop use if rash develops. May cause diarrhea.

Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) 500mg capsules
An excellent antibiotic for traveler's diarrhea and dysentery. Treats: Diarrhea, pneumonia, urinary tract infections, bone infections. Dosage: One tablet twice a day, for three days. For kidney infections, pneumonia and bone infections, treat for seven to ten days. WARNING: Not recommended for patients less than 18 years old or pregnant or nursing women. Adverse effects, although uncommon, have included nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.

Erythromycin 250mg/500mg tablets
An alternative antibiotic for individuals allergic to penicillin. Treats: Bronchitis, tonsillitis, pneumonia, skin infections, sinus infections, ear, and eye infections.
Dosage: 250-500mg every six hours, for seven to ten days. WARNING: May cause upset stomach, vomiting, and/or diarrhea. Take with food.

Cefuroxime (Ceftin) or Cephalexin (Keflex) 250 to 500 mg tablets
Broad-spectrum antibiotics which can be substituted for Augmentin, in individuals allergic to penicillin.
Treats: Skin infections, bronchitis, UTI, tonsillitis, middle ear infections, some bone infections, bite wounds, tonsillitis, dental infections, sinusitis. Dosage: 250-500mg every six hours. WARNING: Avoid or use with caution in individuals with penicillin allergy, since 5% of the people may be cross-reactive.

Metronidazole (Flagyl) 250 mg tablets
Treats: Intra-abdominal infections including peritonitis and appendicitis, dental infections. Dosage: Intra-abdominal infections: two tablets every six hours if the patient is not vomiting. WARNING: Do not drink alcohol while taking this medication. The interaction will cause severe abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. May cause unpleasant metallic taste. Do not use during pregnancy.

Nitazoxanide (Alinia) 500 mg tablets
Treats: Giardia and Cryptosporidiosis. Dosage: The adult dose is 500 mg twice a day for three days. The dose in children is 100 mb twice a day for three days.

Trimethodprim / Sulfamethoxazole
Common brand names include Septra DS and Bactrim DS. Each tablet contains 80 mg trimethoprim and 400 mg sulfamethoxazole. Treats: UT or kidney infections, ear and sinus infections, and bronchitis. Can be substituted for ciprofloxacin to treat traveler's diarrhea or dysentery. It is cheaper than ciproflaxin, but some bacteria which cause dysentery have developed resistance to this drug.  Dosage: One table twice a day for five days for diarrhea and dysentery. Other infections may require a ten-day course. WARNING: Do not use it in individuals allergic to sulfa drugs. Trimethoprim 200 mg alone, twice a day, may be substituted for treatment of diarrhea and dysentery. Discontinue use at the first sign of skin rash or any adverse reaction. Do not use it in pregnancy.

Levofloxacin (Levaquin) 500mg tablets
Treats: Bronchitis, pneumonia, UTI, sinusitis, skin infections, anthrax. Dosage: 500 mg every 24 hours for 7-14 days. WARNING: can cause tendinitis (tendon damage), weakened muscles, low or high blood sugar.

Antibiotics and Their Types Uses and Side Effects By Yury Bayarski

An antibiotic is a drug that kills or slows the growth of bacteria. Antibiotics are one class of antimicrobials, a larger group which also includes anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti-parasitic drugs. Antibiotics are chemicals produced by or derived from microorganisms (i.e. bugs or germs such as bacteria and fungi). Some people are allergic to antibiotics, particularly penicillins. Allergic reactions cause swelling of the face, itching and a skin rash and, in severe cases, breathing difficulties. Allergic reactions require prompt treatment.

Types of antibiotics: The main classes of antibiotics: Aminoglycosides, Cephalosporins, Fluoroquinolones, Macrolides, Penicillins, Tetracyclines

Macrolides The erythromycin-like antibiotics are also known as macrolides. Macrolides belong to the polyketide class of natural products. Macrolide antibiotics are used to treat  RTIs, genital, gastrointestinal tract, soft tissue infections caused by susceptible strains of specific bacteria. Macrolides bind with ribosomes from susceptible bacteria to prevent protein production. This action is mainly bacteriostatic, but can also be bactericidal in high concentrations.
Macrolides cause very little allergy problems compared to the penicillins and cephalosporins, the biggest concern with these medicines is that they can irritate the stomach. AKA (most common) erythromycin, clarithromycin, azithromycin, roxithromycin
Aminoglycoside antibiotics treats gram-negative bacteria. Aminoglycosides may be used along with penicillins or cephalosporins to give a two-pronged attack on the bacteria. They can't be given by mouth and must be injected (breaks down in stomach). Side effects include possible damage to the ears and to the kidneys. This can be minimized by checking the amount of the drug in the blood and adjusting. Generally, aminoglycosides are given for short time periods. The aminoglycosides are drugs which stop bacteria from making proteins. This effect is bactericidal. AKA (most common) amikacin, gentamicin, kanamycin, neomycin, streptomycin, tobramycin

Cephalosporins are grouped into "generations" by their antimicrobial properties. Cephalosporins are categorized chronically, and are therefore divided into first, second, and third generations. Currently, three generations of cephalosporins are recognized and a fourth has been proposed. Each newer generation of cephalosporins has greater gram negative antimicrobial properties than the preceding generation. The later-generation cephalosporins have greater effect against resistant bacteria. Treats pneumonia, strep throat, staph infections, tonsillitis, bronchitis, otitis media, various types of skin infections, gonorrhea. Cephalosporin antibiotics are also commonly used for surgical prophylaxis. Cephalosporins are closely related to the penicillins. Cephalosporins have a bacteriocidal effect by inhibiting the synthesis of the bacteria cell wall. AKA (most common)
•    First generation, cephazolin, cefadroxil, cephalexin, cephradine
•    Second generation cefaclor, cefuroxime, cefprozil, loracarbef
•    Third generation cefotaxime, cefixime, cefpodoxime, ceftazidime, cefdinir
•    Fourth generation cefepime, cefpirome

Fluoroquinolones are known as broad-spectrum antibiotics. Used to treat most common UTI, skin infections, and respiratory infections (such as sinusitis, pneumonia, bronchitis). Side effects of fluoroquinolones include mainly the digestive system: mild stomach pain or upset, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. These are usually mild and go away over time. Fluoroquinolones should not be given during pregnancy.
Fluoroquinolones inhibit bacteria by interfering with their ability to make DNA. This activity makes it difficult for bacteria to multiply. This effect is bacteriocidal. AKA (most common) ciprofloxacin, bgatifloxacin, bgemifloxacin, blevofloxacin, moxifloxacin, bnorfloxacin, ofloxacin, trovafloxacin

Penicillins
Penicillins are used to treat skin infections, dental infections, ear infections,  RTIs, UTI , gonorrhea. Sometimes combined with other ingredients called beta-lactamase inhibitors, which protect the penicillin from bacterial enzymes that may destroy it. Safe. Risk is allergies. If allergic to cephalosporins likely also penicillins. Penicillins block the construction of bacteria cell walls, causing the walls to break down, and eventually killing the bacteria. AKA (most common) amoxicillin, ampicillin, bacampicillin, oxacillin, penicillin

Tetracyclines
Treats very broad spectrum of bacterial infections. Tetracyclines are used to treat mild acne, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Lyme Disease, upper  RTIs, UTI, STD, typhus. AKA (most common) tetracycline, doxycycline, minocycline
Summary pages - mostly from webmd, mayoclinic
Penicillin (3x a day for 7 days on an empty stomach) Treats STDs, Stomach ulcers, Abscesses, Leptospirosis, Lyme disease, Typhoid,Gangrene, Staph infections, Strep infections, Lung infections, Rheumatic fever, Tonsillitis, Middle-ear infections, Diphtheria, Meningitis, Pneumonia, Upper  RTI

Amoxicillin (3x a day for 7 days, take with or without food) Treats Cystitis/UTI,Anthrax,Sinusitis,Skin/ soft tissue infection, Tonsillitis,Lyme disease, Upper  RTI

Cephalexin (2x a day for 7 days, drink with one full glass of water) Treats Cystitis/UTI, Skin/ soft tissue infection, Upper  RTI,

Ciprofloxacin (2x a day for 3-5 days, 2x a day for 7-10 for pneumonia or plague, drink with one full glass of water, with or without food) Treats Anthrax, Bronchitis, Cholera, Joint infections, Plague, Salmonella/ gastric infection (traveler's or infectious diarrhea etc), Typhoid, Tuberculosis, Meningococcal Meningitis (one dose only, two at max 24 hrs apart)

Doxycycline (100 mg every 12 hours on the first day, then 100 mg once a day or 50 to 100 mg every 12 hours) Treats chest infections, skin infections, rosacea, dental infections and STDs

Metronidazole (500 or 750 mg 3 times a day for 5 to 10 days) Treats infections of the reproductive system, gastrointestinal (GI) tract, skin, heart, bone, joint, lung, blood, nervous system, STDs, and other areas of the body,

Sulphamethoxazole + Trimethoprim (1 tablet (DS tablet) of 800 mg of sulfamethoxazole and 160 mg of trimethoprim, every 12 hours for 10 to 14 days.) Treats UTI, middle ear infections (otitis media), bronchitis, traveler's diarrhea, and shigellosis (bacillary dysentery)

Levaquin (1 tablet, 250-500mg once daily for 7-14 days. Usually 7-10) Treats traveler's diarrhea, RTIs (tuberculosis, pneumoniae, bronchitis, complicated skin infections, UTIs, E. coli

Ampicillin Dosing depends. RTI: 250 mg, Gastrointestinal tract infections:  500 mg, Urinary and reproductive system infections: 500 mg. All doses every 6 hours, Treats Cholera, Meningitis, sometimes throat, sinuses infections.

Clindamycin Treats (150 to 300 mg every 6 hours. For more severe infections, 300 to 450 mg every 6 hours) Treats: infections of lungs, skin, blood, female reproductive organs, and internal organs
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 12:55:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Any more input on doxy being toxic if frozen?
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Let's pretend a person has the following for a family. What else is recommended to cover all bases? Maybe some Penicillin? I need to order some more Cefpodoxime or Cefixime for my dog's UTI problem (no really, she gets them bad and all of a sudden). The Alton's antibiotics book will be here this week.

Amoxicillin 500mg (200ct)
Azithromycin 250mg (60ct)
Cephalexin 500mg (100ct)
Ciprofloxacin 500mg (50ct)
Doxycycline 100mg (100ct)
Metronidazole 250mg (100ct)

Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#25]
After researching this thread, reading Alton’s book and some other research, I ordered the following from alldaychemist.  

Let me know if you think there are any other items I should grab.  This is purely for SHTF long term storage and not for regular use.  

I also have several books to assist with figuring out if, when and what to use.  
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Personally I would get more amoxicillin.  Good mild general antibiotic.  Be careful w/ cipro, some of the potential side effects are bad as in tendon snapping bad
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Coltman77:

Thanks very much!  (I worked for Wyeth during the 1980's and things have changed quite a bit since then.)

What other antibiotics should I consider?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Coltman77:
Originally Posted By ERNURSE:
Cipro is a good antibiotic for things from pneumonia to diverticulitis to bladder infections, but isnt a good choice for wounds or other ailments, in reality there is no one drug cures all antibiotic out, maybe in 1945 with the advent of the use of Penicillin and Sulfa drugs, but the the bugs are different now in their resistance and susceptibility. So in good ole Arfcom fashion, get more than one, hope this helps clear up things for you.

Thanks very much!  (I worked for Wyeth during the 1980's and things have changed quite a bit since then.)

What other antibiotics should I consider?

Cipro can have some nasty side effects, FYI.  Read about them before you just go all in for it.  Some people have severe tendon issues, basically drying out and snapping of the Achilles, or others in hands and feet, etc.  Took me a year to recover from severe tendon pain in fingers and elbows after a ten day regimen of Cipro.  @Coltman77
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 5:53:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronnoc] [#28]
Levofloxacin can have the same side effects as Cipro.

Augmentin could be a good one, but is pricey.

@AKFF

I would consider increasing the doxycycline, it is cheap and a very good one.  The problem with a lot of the 100 count bottles is that most regimen is 3/day for 10 days.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
Levofloxacin can have the same side effects as Cipro.

Augmentin could be a good one, but is pricey.

@AKFF

I would consider increasing the doxycycline, it is cheap and a very good one.  The problem with a lot of the 100 count bottles is that most regimen is 3/day for 10 days.
View Quote

I'll do that. Thank you.  

As for the 3/day for 10 days; are you saying that buying 30 count bottles is a better way to go?
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Just whatever works best dollar wise, but you can't go wrong with three 100 pill bottles.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By AKFF:
After researching this thread, reading Alton’s book and some other research, I ordered the following from alldaychemist.  

Let me know if you think there are any other items I should grab.  This is purely for SHTF long term storage and not for regular use.  

I also have several books to assist with figuring out if, when and what to use.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/169488/4D971A9E-907B-4098-A501-EB50D59F30B5_png-2296910.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/169488/B4C89CA2-0E4D-46FC-914B-E9C7714EBA4C_png-2296911.JPG
View Quote

Arrived today.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Nice stash!

I put all mine in a 50 Cal ammo can and it lives in a cool section of my crawl space.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#33]
@ManyFacets

"Do not freeze: Doxycycline, or anything containing tetracycline"

Do you have a source for this info you posted?  Mfg recommends room temp storage, but there is no mention of reduced bio-availability or toxicity due to low temp storage that I can find...
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:51:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ManyFacets] [#34]
Originally Posted By leafinthewind:
@ManyFacets

"Do not freeze: Doxycycline, or anything containing tetracycline"

Do you have a source for this info you posted?  Mfg recommends room temp storage, but there is no mention of reduced bio-availability or toxicity due to low temp storage that I can find...
View Quote

@leafinthewind i truncated a ton for my notes because from a practical perspective i dont really care where it came from, only that it was a reputable source. I still have most of things saved, heres some from the storage section for doxy talking about temp. i noted that specifically because it was the only medication in my list that i look at that had it cautioned against.

from: https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/doxycycline-oral-route/precautions/drg-20068229?p=1

oral doses "Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep from freezing."

FDA on storage requirements and extended expiration date - mentions temperature conditions as specified by manufacturer, meaning room temp.

"Accelerated stability testing storage conditions are 40°C ± 2°C /75% ± 5% relative humidity.335
These conditions stress the product and are thought to be conservatively predictive of future336
Contains Nonbinding Recommendations
Draft — Not for Implementation
stability for a period of time under room temperature conditions. The long-term stability data in337
conjunction with accelerated stability data are commonly used initially to establish tentative338
expiration dates for pharmaceuticals. The tentative expiration dates are confirmed with full long-339
term stability data post approval. For products in government stockpiles, performance of long-340
term stability studies is not expected. However, accelerated studies should be performed for341
cases in which lots have not been stored according to manufacturer’s labeled storage conditions342
or when stockpiled lots are 6 years or more beyond the manufacturer’s labeled expiration date"

from: https://healthunit.org/health-information/sexual-health/medication-fact-sheets/doxycycline/

store at room temp, dont freeze.

"Store tablets at room temperature, protected from light. Do not allow medication to freeze. Keep out of reach and sight of children."
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:04:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: leafinthewind] [#35]
@ManyFacets

I've done a bit more poking...... some notes-----

MOST drug storage guidelines suggest the same..."store at room temp...."

MOST of the ones I've found with regards to a warning against freezing are referenced to liquid/suspension versions of that drug.

Many do not have a warning against freezing
"Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from light and excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom)."
... This is for tetracycline from HERE- NIH National library of health

In the FDA link you listed above... the "Accelerated stability testing storage conditions are 40°C ± 2°C /75% ± 5% relative humidity.335
These conditions stress the product..........."
are HIGH temperature (40c = 104f) simulations designed to speed up predicted future breakdown scenarios, if I'm reading it correctly.

Like you, I'm not a Dr.... just trying to get the best info I can.  Perhaps @Rich_V will lend us his expertise once again?  If so.... doxycycline... safe to freeze capsules/tablets for LT storage?

Also...a check of page 1 shows this

Originally Posted By I-N-F-I-D-E-L:
I have cipro and some doxycycline among others....If kept in a cool dry cabnet how long past the exp date are they good for?

RichV's reply>>>> Double zip lock bag them in the original bottles and placed in your freezer they will last 10 years or more.

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:58:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Rec'd my package from all day chemist the other day.  Very impressed w/ how fast it arrived.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By leafinthewind:
@ManyFacets

I've done a bit more poking...... some notes-----

MOST drug storage guidelines suggest the same..."store at room temp...."

MOST of the ones I've found with regards to a warning against freezing are referenced to liquid/suspension versions of that drug.

Many do not have a warning against freezing
"Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from light and excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom)."
... This is for tetracycline from HERE- NIH National library of health

In the FDA link you listed above... the "Accelerated stability testing storage conditions are 40°C ± 2°C /75% ± 5% relative humidity.335
These conditions stress the product..........."
are HIGH temperature (40c = 104f) simulations designed to speed up predicted future breakdown scenarios, if I'm reading it correctly.

Like you, I'm not a Dr.... just trying to get the best info I can.  Perhaps @Rich_V will lend us his expertise once again?  If so.... doxycycline... safe to freeze capsules/tablets for LT storage?

Also...a check of page 1 shows this

Originally Posted By I-N-F-I-D-E-L:contributer
I have cipro and some doxycycline among others....If kept in a cool dry cabnet how long past the exp date are they good for?

RichV's reply>>>> Double zip lock bag them in the original bottles and placed in your freezer they will last 10 years or more.

View Quote

Nothing to add to my previous posts.
Summary
All solid dose form meds (pills, caps etc.)can be safely stored frozen and will extend the shelf life.
Liquid, gels, salves etc. may not be suitable for freeze storage so avoid freezing these.
Shelf life will approximately double for each 10 degree centigrade drop in temperature from room temp (200  C)
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#38]
edited my prior post to include info provided here.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 3:15:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Rich_V:

Nothing to add to my previous posts.
Summary
View Quote

Thank you Rich
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Just found out about this thread so wanted to chime in.  I knew of fish/bird antibiotics years ago but never ordered any.  Placed my first order with stuff for my dog on Chewy last night.  2 bottles of Dox, Metro, and Ceph.  Plan to keep these in a container in the fridge (is freezer better??).

Given what I'm reading about and upcoming restrictions, trying to figure out where is best/cheapest to buy from, what to buy, and how much of it?  

Will read through the last few pages of the thread for the most recent info.  But that's where I'm at.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Emt1581:
Just found out about this thread so wanted to chime in.  I knew of fish/bird antibiotics years ago but never ordered any.  Placed my first order with stuff for my dog on Chewy last night.  2 bottles of Dox, Metro, and Ceph.  Plan to keep these in a container in the fridge (is freezer better??).

Given what I'm reading about and upcoming restrictions, trying to figure out where is best/cheapest to buy from, what to buy, and how much of it?  

Will read through the last few pages of the thread for the most recent info.  But that's where I'm at.

Thanks!
View Quote

@Emt1581  - what restrictions are you reading about?
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Emt1581:

Thanks!

Apparently Biden/FDA is eliminating the ability to buy antibiotics for animals without a script come September.  Again, briefly scanned over literature but discussion of it can be found here.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 3:05:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AS556] [#44]
Originally Posted By D_J:

Do not freeze.
View Quote

You're basing this off what?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:24:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#45]
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:07:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Drumbic] [#46]
Ordering from AllDayChemist and its asking a time to call during check out...?

ETA I checked out, but the Zelle thing they sent isnt showing up in the Zelle search.   Emailed them back asking for a link to Pay with a CC.  Ill see what they say.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Can my fish use the Bird meds???
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#48]
It's been a while since I looked at this thread.

"*cyclines can become toxic 5-10 years after they expire. Fixed by law by the 90s. Shouldn’t be an issue anymore."

Am I reading this correctly that the cyclines do NOT become toxic 5-10 years after expiration?
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:32:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Saber7] [#49]
Originally Posted By Drumbic:
Ordering from AllDayChemist and its asking a time to call during check out...?

ETA I checked out, but the Zelle thing they sent isnt showing up in the Zelle search.   Emailed them back asking for a link to Pay with a CC.  Ill see what they say.
View Quote

I put the required info in and used dr. name "dr. Som Ting Wong"

Paid with bitcoin and my order shipped a few days ago.   no questions from them. Glad I paid with BTC before the value dropped.

I did get a call from them when I created the account after about a week.  They left a voice mail in a Indian accent asking if I needed help ordering anything as I had items in my cart but never checked out.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#50]
My ordered arrived.

So here is my first timer of events..

Ordered June 2.

A couple days later my order payment processed/Posted.

About a week later I get an email they are shipping.

About a week after that I get and email there was an issue with shipping.

June 22 I get an email saying a new tracking is provided an order has shipped.

July 1 order is here.

Attachment Attached File

Vacuum packed all of it. Added a label for each bag and what it is, milligram etc.  Plus a dissent pack.

What I'm thinking for the next batch, is breaking them down to single packs by dosage size that med typically uses for treatment.

Attachment Attached File

JASE Emergency Antibiotic Guide pdf

Let me know if that works. Its a dropbox link.

Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top