Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2022 5:15:47 PM EDT
I’ve toyed with the idea for a few years now. I have some outbuildings, but they’re without power and would need a better plan for ventilation. I’m also a bit apprehensive of the heat without having some sort of exhaust fan which would help better control temperatures and assist in the ammonia smell removal. I don’t want to add too much to the daily workload by having to bring them fresh water once or twice a day that’s not frozen solid or frozen water to stay cool in the summer.

I’ve also explored the option of doing rabbit colonies by building an immobile pen for the breeding stock and another for the grow outs. The downside of this would be that breeding is not well-controlled, higher risk of illness such as coccidia since they would be digging in the soil, etc. what has been your experience?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:20:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Had hundreds at one time.
Still have a few does and a buck for our own use.
Posted a good bit here, may be searchable.

Rabbits are the PERFECT starter animal.
Quiet, odorless, prolific and come in easy to handle, single- serving size!

Do Not keep them on ground.

Here's an archived thread.
Should be more

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/New_Liberty_Homestead__City_Rabbit_Raising_and_other_adventures/19-683863/?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
They're Definitely susceptible to heat.we just lost 2 on Saturday when it was 93 out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're Definitely susceptible to heat.we just lost 2 on Saturday when it was 93 out.
View Quote

Wow, talk about sensitive! Were they kept outside in an open covering or barn/garage/shed where it would be much hotter?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Ost.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Many years ago a co-worker's daughter went off to college and left them stuck with about 50 rabbits.  They asked if I knew how to "process" them and if I could help.  I agreed, and spent a half hour showing them how to quickly kill the rabbits, then how to skin and gut them.  It took most of Saturday morning and afternoon for three of us to process them all, but we ended with lots of really terrific meat.  

I still REALLY like hasenpfeffer ...  a German rabbit dish.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wow, talk about sensitive! Were they kept outside in an open covering or barn/garage/shed where it would be much hotter?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outside in cages that are half covered, half open. Had opaque plastic on top for a sun/rain break.

We moved our remaining Rabbits into our barn where it's much cooler and have cross ventilation with a fan now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I still REALLY like hasenpfeffer ...  a German rabbit dish.
View Quote

I remember seeing the rabbits they raise when I was in Germany. They are huge compared to ours.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#8]
My granddad had rabbits, probably up to 30 at a time. I remember eating chicken and being corrected...no, that's rabbit.

He was in Colorado just past the front range, and they were in pole shed during the summer, but I don't know what he did in the winter.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I’ve toyed with the idea for a few years now. I have some outbuildings, but they’re without power and would need a better plan for ventilation. I’m also a bit apprehensive of the heat without having some sort of exhaust fan which would help better control temperatures and assist in the ammonia smell removal. I don’t want to add too much to the daily workload by having to bring them fresh water once or twice a day that’s not frozen solid or frozen water to stay cool in the summer.

I’ve also explored the option of doing rabbit colonies by building an immobile pen for the breeding stock and another for the grow outs. The downside of this would be that breeding is not well-controlled, higher risk of illness such as coccidia since they would be digging in the soil, etc. what has been your experience?
View Quote

Where are you at in Pa?  I am in Pa and would be more than happy to answer any of your questions.  Shoot me a pm.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Where are you at in Pa?  I am in Pa and would be more than happy to answer any of your questions.  Shoot me a pm.
View Quote

Thank you. PM sent.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#12]
what do you want to know?
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don’t know what kind of rabbits you have, but I’ve never lost any from heat in Georgia summers. All told, I’ve raised them 6 or 7 years. At our previous home, we had them in raised wire cages with a piece of plywood over them and behind them. In our new location, we have an open rabbit house with 14 cages for the breeders. It has a roof and no sides. I use rabbit tractors as grow out pens. Those pens are 8’ long with metal roofing covering 4-5’ of the top.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don’t know what kind of rabbits you have, but I’ve never lost any from heat in Georgia summers. All told, I’ve raised them 6 or 7 years. At our previous home, we had them in raised wire cages with a piece of plywood over them and behind them. In our new location, we have an open rabbit house with 14 cages for the breeders. It has a roof and no sides. I use rabbit tractors as grow out pens. Those pens are 8’ long with metal roofing covering 4-5’ of the top.
View Quote

Is there any chance you would be willing to share pictures? I like the open concept. I think I would need to do a 3 sided structure around the wire cages with the amount of wind and cold we get up here.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Is there any chance you would be willing to share pictures? I like the open concept. I think I would need to do a 3 sided structure around the wire cages with the amount of wind and cold we get up here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought this from my neighbor. He built it on skids so that it can be moved. I put wire around the bottom and a door on each end. He had dogs getting under the pens tearing up his rabbits. The welded wire stops that.

Edit: Trying to get the pic to work.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They handle cold better than heat. I use tarps on the really cold and windy days. That may not work for you, but you want something that you can remove for air flow when it’s hot.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#17]
That makes sense. Thanks so much for sharing. I’m thinking if I take the plunge, I may be a structure with small spaces between slatted horizontal boards. That way there will be airflow but not large enough to make it tremendously drafty for them if that makes sense. I do like the idea of welded wire for protection.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 6:16:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

We at the time had New Zealand and Dutch.
Lost a pregnant NZ female and a Dutch Male that day. We now have moved the remainders inside, and have added Silver Fox rabbits to our rabbitry. We've learned much since then. I have since raised, killed, processed and eaten our first meat rabbits. Nobody to our knowledge has bought any of our rabbits for meat consumption, but we have sold them as pets. I do plan on getting more into meat production, breeding more extensively, and offering rabbit processing classes in the spring.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Had hundreds at one time.
Still have a few does and a buck for our own use.
Posted a good bit here, may be searchable.

Rabbits are the PERFECT starter animal.
Quiet, odorless, prolific and come in easy to handle, single- serving size!

Do Not keep them on ground.

Here's an archived thread.
Should be more

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/New_Liberty_Homestead__City_Rabbit_Raising_and_other_adventures/19-683863/?
View Quote

This mirrors my experience. I followed the plan outlined in Boyd craven he’s book “backyard meat rabbits”. I didn’t have too much trouble with heat or cold, and yes we get plenty of both in Michigan. Raised only California or new Zealand rabbits. Even grew our own organic fodder spouts for a few years. Easy and straightforward.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top