Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2020 8:27:33 PM EDT
I keep several topo maps for areas i'm in regularly, hunting spots, hometown, favorite camping and fishing spots, bug out locations the usual type stuff.

Just curious what people are using to keep maps and such in on your gear. Never gave much thought to it in the past but sticking a map in the pouch behind my mag pouches on my pc isnt easily accessible so Im looking for some alternate means of carrying one that's more accessible. Also looking for something to carry the extra maps in or on the pack.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 7:56:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

This looks like the one that I have.    I have had it for a few years now.   It isn't waterproof so I keep my maps in ziploc bags inside the case.   I found some ziplocs that are the perfect size for this.    I had to fold the case to fit into my bag but it has tolerated that without issue.    I lost my grease pencil that I used to mark up the maps.   I will have to find a new source for those.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve had my topo maps laminated. Wasn’t cheap but works great. Don’t need much protection then.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't usually carry a full size topo of areas we frequent or hunt.  I make my own custom maps by ether copying a good topo map or sourcing it online then print and laminate.  I find regular size sheet of paper/ laminated map is much easier to deal with when hunting and outdoors.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I spend quite a bit of time in the bush. While navigation is godawfully simple here, I still carry a map, and do so in one of the following, which also holds my baseplate compass, notebook, and pens: Battle Board Scout
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I spend quite a bit of time in the bush. While navigation is godawfully simple here, I still carry a map, and do so in one of the following, which also holds my baseplate compass, notebook, and pens: Battle Board Scout
View Quote

I've looked into those and I may eventually get one but for now I'm looking for something i can easily store in a cargo pocket or someplace on me vs in the pack.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't usually carry a full size topo of areas we frequent or hunt.  I make my own custom maps by ether copying a good topo map or sourcing it online then print and laminate.  I find regular size sheet of paper/ laminated map is much easier to deal with when hunting and outdoors.
View Quote

I do the same thing but i also have a set of 24x18 topos that cover the entire area I travel through to get to where we hunt on the west side of the state. Covers from my area south of Milwaukee all the way to Genoa, wi. (South of LaCrosse)on the Mississippi. Some are customs that contain multiple quads some are noncustom full quads. I also have smaller topos of areas along the way for areas we fish or small game or bird hunt at and also a couple state parks. All of them are printed on waterproof paper when I order them. The ones I print at home are laminated.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a mix of maps printed on waterproof paper (some I bought that way, some I printed*), some that have been treated with Aquaseal Map Seal, some stuck in ziplocks.  I have a clear map case for boating and a nylon folding type for hiking.  I treated the nylon one with the Nikwax nylon water repellent and it works well enough.  There's a DeLorme map book for SC in my truck along with a folder with topo maps for some of my favorite areas.  

*You can buy waterproof paper for inkjets so that you can print your own maps; it usually runs about $1/sheet.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I usually print out the area I'm interested in and put those sheets in clear, gallon Ziploc, front and back as needed.

As far as where to keep them, that's something that cargo pockets are actually useful for.

If you want to carry full size maps, I'd recommend rigging up a tube on a pack or something like that.  And carry a small lightweight tarp or plastic sheet to lay them out on.

Or fold them and stick them in a dry bag you can just clip to your pack.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#11]
What size maps are you thinking about?
I laminate the 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheets of my county.
I take the ones I need to use on a given day and it gets jammed down into my gear, no case used.
I have USGS maps of the county with more detail, but haven't seen it necessary to carry them or figure how what to carry them in when out and about
If I did need to carry those I would laminate them with clear shelf liner since I have no access to the military map laminate and stow them in my pack.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got a mix of maps printed on waterproof paper (some I bought that way, some I printed*), some that have been treated with Aquaseal Map Seal, some stuck in ziplocks.  I have a clear map case for boating and a nylon folding type for hiking.  I treated the nylon one with the Nikwax nylon water repellent and it works well enough.  There's a DeLorme map book for SC in my truck along with a folder with topo maps for some of my favorite areas.  

*You can buy waterproof paper for inkjets so that you can print your own maps; it usually runs about $1/sheet.
View Quote

I used to work at a print shop and we had 1 customer that had all his stuff printed on waterproof paper. 3x4ft sheets and have to cut it because his stuff was oddball sized. I'd snag a few of the scraps here and there to print maps on. Most of the scrap was 13x19 so printing 12x18 maps was no problem lol.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What size maps are you thinking about?
I laminate the 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheets of my county.
I take the ones I need to use on a given day and it gets jammed down into my gear, no case used.
I have USGS maps of the county with more detail, but haven't seen it necessary to carry them or figure how what to carry them in when out and about
If I did need to carry those I would laminate them with clear shelf liner since I have no access to the military map laminate and stow them in my pack.
View Quote

Most are 18x24 or 12x18 a couple that are around 12x12 and then a few 8.5x11. The 18x24 fold to a nice pocket size, about 3x5in or so same with the 12x18in maps. I'm more or less looking for something for the map I'd be using at the time. The rest of them are broken down into two zip lock bags and stored in the pack.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 1:17:34 AM EDT
[#14]
My wife and I have the ones they sell on base at the BX in our bags. I can’t seem to remember who makes them.

Sorry for the sideways pics.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#15]

how big is it?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

how big is it?
View Quote

Exterior is 14 1/2" wide by 11" tall.  Interior is 12" by 9".
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:17:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Big ziplock bags.  Unsophisticated, and works.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:39:14 AM EDT
[#18]
My favorites:
British P37 Map Case

Soviet Post War Map Case

Soviet M43 Map Case

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#19]
For work: clear hard acrylic sandwiching a map in between, taped on the sides and closed using binder clips. It’s the oldschool/cheap version of the battle board linked above.

For play: 8.5x11 or greentrails in a gallon ziplock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top