Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2022 7:48:17 PM EDT
Anyone else running the pressure canners to make room for this years deer? I had 16lbs of ground venison left over from last years deer(s) and needed to make room in the freezers. Canned ground venison or beef is so handy for quick meals, I should prob just can all of it every year.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#1]
We canned a couple hundred pound this summer.  Very handy, need to get some time to do more.  Do you raw pack or cook first?
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We canned a couple hundred pound this summer.  Very handy, need to get some time to do more.  Do you raw pack or cook first?
View Quote

If I’m cubing it up I usually raw pack (chicken, venison, beef). If it’s ground meat I usually brown it about half way to 3/4 of the way and then pack into jars. For some reason ground meat seems to taste better if it’s browned before canning, at least to me. It is more of a pain in the ass though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone else running the pressure canners to make room for this years deer? I had 16lbs of ground venison left over from last years deer(s) and needed to make room in the freezers. Canned ground venison or beef is so handy for quick meals, I should prob just can all of it every year.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/167625/537EF198-E425-453B-9342-1EE36A3129CF_jpe-2570335.JPG
View Quote

What meals do you use canned ground meats for? I've canned lots of chunked meats but the only ground  I have canned was sausage and even then I still haven't figured out how to use it....
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Freeze dryer here.  We still can some but we run the freeze dryer 24/7.

We have 5 freezers and will have to pick up another when I get a deer.

But we have another steer going to freezer camp in January, so we’re gonna need one then anyway.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What meals do you use canned ground meats for? I've canned lots of chunked meats but the only ground  I have canned was sausage and even then I still haven't figured out how to use it....
View Quote

I generally can Italian Sausage. I mix it 50/50 with canned burger for use in chili. Burger can be used anywhere you normally expect to see it. Soups, stews, Chili, Goulash, pizza topping, sloppy joes, casseroles,  and so on.

Breakfast sausage is great in omelets, gravies, stuffing, casseroles, and pretty much any place you'd use ground beef.

I can, freeze dry, and dehydrate. Each method has weak points and strong points, plus it's best to not be dependent on any one method of food preservation.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

We use our canned ground pork for pasta sauce, in soup, or as a sausage gravy over - toast, pasta, veggies, rice, beans, lentils, - whatever.  We use a lot more as gravy.

It keeps well, and prepares quickly.  We do freeze more pork sausage than we preserve by canning, but my wife usually puts some up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I've heard canned venison is not pretty to look at, but is pretty tasty. I'm curious for sure.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#8]
why not vacuum seal and freeze?  i just picked up a food saver at costco this weekend, along with a bunch of meat that is divided and frozen now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an awesome pressure canner - something like 32 qt.

I only used it when I had a freezer go bad and, the beef just tasted like dog food - and the dogs do like it and I have a LOT left, though. BUT, DAMN...what a let down.

It was probably 12 years ago and I still have most of it - perfectly sealed and good - but, it makes me hesitate to can any more.

What could I have done/do better?

My freezers are full of steak, beef & pork roasts, chops and chicken, but I am concerned about power - even after getting a genny-conversion-kit to run w/propane from the 1000 gal tank I put in. It'd be nice to have shelf-stable with only the need to warm it, though - and use the genny only for the well and stuff.

Open to input!!!

ETA: we have two dehydrators, but no freeze driers. Canning is it, really, so suggestions are most welcome.

THX!
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
why not vacuum seal and freeze?  i just picked up a food saver at costco this weekend, along with a bunch of meat that is divided and frozen now.
View Quote

I've never found Food Savers to be reliable enough to bet my supplies on. Total reliance on any one storage system will eventually lead to failure. I still have lots of problems with long term storage bag leaks, so now Food Saver is only used to vacuum seal jars for dry food storage. I can or freeze dry meat, freeze dry and mylar bag fresh vegetables, and buy commercially canned foods when on sale that have at least two years left on their factory "best by" date. If I buy anything that's closedated or undated I freeze dry it.

I've lost a fair amount of frozen meat over the years because of leaking vacuum seal bags and freezer burn.
The dogs don't seem to mind it though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've never found Food Savers to be reliable enough to bet my supplies on. Total reliance on any one storage system will eventually lead to failure. I still have lots of problems with long term storage bag leaks, so now Food Saver is only used to vacuum seal jars for dry food storage. I can or freeze dry meat, freeze dry and mylar bag fresh vegetables, and buy commercially canned foods when on sale that have at least two years left on their factory "best by" date. If I buy anything that's closedated or undated I freeze dry it.

I've lost a fair amount of frozen meat over the years because of leaking vacuum seal bags and freezer burn.
View Quote

Stop buying cheap food saver sealers.

We have a vacmaster chamber sealer and these things don't happen.

We vacuum seal all of our freeze dried mylar.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#12]
We've been canning meat, but beef, rather than deer. I'd love to be able to be a more proficient hunter... as it is, though, I'm a farmer/rancher. It's still good stuff.

I do love venison though.

I will say that I try to keep my wife from canning too much in the summer, save it for the winter when the extra heat in the house is welcome, and the AC isn't fighting against it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've done a lot of double heat sealing in the past. I have better heat sealers than just the Food Saver, I have a pair of the industrial bar type sealers, one with an 3/16(ish) seal, and one with a 7/16ths(ish) seal. I guess I can try that out for curiositys sake. It is time for another vacuum sealer anyway though. I've completely outgrown my original Food Saver.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Just canned up last years turkey sale to make room for this years ....uh..sale.   .33 per pound last year, and cheapest I've found is .59 at Meijers.  Bought 2 more. 1 for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas. Now I'll go buy a few more to can those up to.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've heard canned venison is not pretty to look at, but is pretty tasty. I'm curious for sure.
View Quote

No canned meats are particularly attractive, but they taste good.  If Dinty Moore was sold in clear glass jars people would probably never eat it again.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No canned meats are particularly attractive, but they taste good.  If Dinty Moore was sold in clear glass jars people would probably never eat it again.  
View Quote

Funny you mention that I had home canned stew for lunch today.
Not super pretty to look at in the jar but tasty and 300% more beef than Dinty Moore.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Got my wife one of these electric pressure canners and it makes the process super easy:
Presto Canner

We've been canning everything: beef, potatoes, carrots, even did brussels sprouts. Made the house smell like sauerkraut.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I try to wait for colder weather for my wife to can a lot of meat. Why? Simply because if I can get the meat canned AND heat the house at the same time, that's killing two birds with one stone. For some reason, my wife likes to can in the middle of summer, where we warm the kitchen and run the AC at the same time.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I've been canning a lot of freezer chicken and some beef the past week to make room for a pig we bought.  

I started doing boneless chicken but after boning 7 quarts worth of chicken I said to hell  with it and started canning bone in.

I ended up with 23 quarts of chicken, 10 pints of ground beef and 12 quarts of cubed beef.  Now there should be enough room for the pig.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Basic question, as I know nothing about this, but how long will canned venison last like that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top