Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2019 6:21:47 PM EDT
Decided to put a few box blinds on my property.To build one, the lumber was gonna be about $550.00. Once built I would have to take apart & walk it up the mountain & through the woods,The only way since a truck or atv wouldn't work. I checked on a light weight pre-built one (Maverick) $850.00. Started to wonder if anybody ever built one from a plastic shed. Plenty have. So I checked out Lowes & Home Depot. Found a Rubbermaid Roughneck 5x6 at Lowes for $529.00. BUT they are on SALE (if in stock) for $290.00. I bought 2. I have not decided what windows I'm gonna use.I have found windows made for blinds at Deer View windows,might go this route. Just got them today.wanted to post so if any one else is interested check now, the sale goes off in a few weeks. I'll post pics once I get started.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#1]
In!
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you use the coupon generator for another $25 off?

https://www.lowescoupongenerator.com/

Bigger shed for $356

7x7
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#3]
cool idea
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I suppose it would work.  Most of the ones I've seen aren't very sturdy and sealing them up to keep mice and insects out would be problematic.  If you don't care about that than go for it.  Going to need a very flat/level base as well.  I use Shadow hunter blinds and have built a lot of wood blinds.  When all was said and done I ended up spending the money for the Shadow Hunter.  Expensive, yes, but sooooo comfy to hunt in.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Unboxed one & put up temporary in garage. Measured for windows. Ordered windows & paint (qts, will spray with gun). At least one will be put on 6-8' tower. I think my biggest worry is the bears tearing it up. Will post pics when I get under way.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Painted upper half of inside walls flat black & started putting in window frames. Think I'm gonna go w/ bigger windows on other one.these are 12x10
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome project op.  Dang good idea.   Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Got the rest of the windows installed (6). Trying to find the time to pull it outside & paint it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#10]
What kind of camo pattern you going with on exterior paint?

Check out the Predator series for ideas.   There were some good pics and write up a dude did with the Predator Fall Gray pattern.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Just get it out in place as soon as you can. Oncedeer get used to it they will forget its there. A little cameo burlap or netting on that will get the deer used to a little movement in the wind. That will help hide any subtle movements they see through the windows.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Rattle can camo job,
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#14]

With my daughters help was able to get tower up. And this weekend got blind installed. Still need to put on ladder.I think this might work.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 12:46:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Good looking blind!

We use the Rubbermaid Big Max 7'x7' Shed from Home Depot. You can usually find cheaper ones from Facebook marketplace or ask HD/Lowes if they have any damaged ones.

We cut windows then reinforce the insides where the windows go to add a little more rigidity to the walls. Then make a plexiglass sliding window.

So far we have 3 set up on our farm. I'll see if I have any pics to post.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good looking blind!

We use the Rubbermaid Big Max 7'x7' Shed from Home Depot. You can usually find cheaper ones from Facebook marketplace or ask HD/Lowes if they have any damaged ones.

We cut windows then reinforce the insides where the windows go to add a little more rigidity to the walls. Then make a plexiglass sliding window.

So far we have 3 set up on our farm. I'll see if I have any pics to post.
View Quote
Interesting.  Followed the link but they don't say how high it is.  How high at the eaves and how high at the peak?

Do you make one of the doors permanently stationary?

How do you reinforce the sides/windows?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 1:23:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Once you cut into the sides to make windows the sides become a little more flimsy. We'll just rip a 2x4 in half and bolt it up horizontally above and below the window. It also serves as a way to hinge the plexiglass windows.

As for the doors we didn't really mess with them. One has the second door closed with one of those deadbolt things on the bottom and top.

I'm not sure of the actually height, but I'd guess close to 6'6".

HD/Lowes generally have some assembled out front of you go look.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Are you putting a coating on the roof? Like bedliner?

I like the concept for a quick/inexpensive blind setup, but wonder how loud it gets inside during a decent rain?

Maybe "fill" the roof voids with great stuff foam?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top