Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2019 8:10:14 PM EDT
So I've been on a kick lately to re-arrange some of my preps.  I have a box that has mostly leftovers from MRE's - accessory packs, crackers, jelly, and other odds and ends that never got eaten.  While looking through it Sunday night I realized I have 6 of the 2400 calorie packs of mainstay Survival Rations in there.  The manufacture date is 10/1999 and the expiration date is 10/2004.  Sometime in the past, probably in 2003, I also took these rations and vacuum sealed them in food saver bags.

So, being that they are 15 years expired I figured I would open one up and see how bad it is.  I cut open the bag and inspected it.  It appeared just as I remembered them. Texture seemed normal, smelled mostly normal but there may have been a very slight rancid smell. I took a bite, tasted normal so I ate one square.  The only thing that I noticed different from the other times I have eaten them is this time my mouth felt like it was coated with a film a few minutes after eating it.  No stomach aches, and no subsequent problems after eating it.

So for those who have these socked away, don't be too quick to eat them or otherwise replace them right at the expiration date.  I suspect that as long as they are kept in a temperature stable environment they will last much longer than the 5 year shelf life.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#1]
OP has not logged back in for two days ????
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn that’s cool thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm fine, no ill effects.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm fine, no ill effects.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]
lets get this out on a tray-nice
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP has not logged back in for two days ????
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top