Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2021 3:09:03 PM EDT
I need some brand recommendations for setting my tac vest.

I am not a high-speed and low-drag operator looking for tier 1 stuff.  This will hopefully never be used in a life and death situation, but I want to have it on hand just in case.

I have a Condor plate carrier with AR500 steel armor installed.  I need to add some magazine carriers, radio carrier and a IFAK.  What are the goto brands now?  At the gunshow I saw some Voodoo Tactical products that looked good, both in price and quality.   Some cheap no name Chinese cheap.  I don't want to spend a fortune, but also do not want crap.  As I get older I have learned buy once cry once is a real thing.

Do you have any brand recommendations for descent products that will hold up?

Thanks

ETA plate carrier
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I would just look for surplus stuff.  It works, durable, and pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I understand you don't want to spend a lot of money and truly get irritated by ARFCOMERS who don't think, unless Delta uses it, it is junk, but the Condor vests are pretty cheaply made.  They won't be durable. You might reconsider.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
https://esstac.com/?

I'm going to echo what the previous poster said about Condor gear, it really will not hold up to any type of dynamic usage.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#4]
You have a vest with armor, not a plate carrier?

There are many high quality brands to choose from for pouches. But, and not trying to be snippy, what good are the pouches if your carrier tears up and doesn't support them?

If your concerns are budgetary, stay on top of the EE, tacswap, or one of the many fb groups.

Decide what you want, have the cash ready, and when what you want pops up, nab it.

The high quality stuff is OK to buy used in most cases, because it is in fact high quality.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Assuming decent carrier, what's the go to Mag pouch for 7.62 these days?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have a vest with armor, not a plate carrier?

There are many high quality brands to choose from for pouches. But, and not trying to be snippy, what good are the pouches if your carrier tears up and doesn't support them?

If your concerns are budgetary, stay on top of the EE, tacswap, or one of the many fb groups.

Decide what you want, have the cash ready, and when what you want pops up, nab it.

The high quality stuff is OK to buy used in most cases, because it is in fact high quality.
View Quote

You are correct. I used the wrong terminology. It is a plate carrier. Not a vest.   As far as Condor is concerned,  I thought they made descent gear.

I will look in EE and like places.

So what are some good brands?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You are correct. I used the wrong terminology. It is a plate carrier. Not a vest.   As far as Condor is concerned,  I thought they made descent gear.

I will look in EE and like places.

So what are some good brands?
View Quote

There are different features on different brands. Look over the stuff out there and hit YouTube to learn about each one's specifics.

Esstac makes great carriers. They have a full featured one and a lightweight one.

Crye is good also.

I have a First Spear because I liked their "tubes" system. Esstac is now offering this as well.

Alot of components can be mixed and matched across brands also, to almost build your own.

For pouches, nothing beats Esstac.

ETA check out the tactical gear subforum.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
For mag pouches, Esstac Kywis are great.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Esstac, HSGI, and Tactical Tailor have all been good in my experience.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For mag pouches, Esstac Kywis are great.
View Quote

This, I use Kywis, Stay away from condor mag pouches(even airsoft mag's don't fit right), they have always been way too tight for any mags I've had, Kywis are the bomb.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:44:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Tactical gear forum

Here is a place with lots of info, pics, reviews, etc.

I have pouches made by HSGI, Esstac, Tactical Tailor, Eagle, SDS, Specter, Spec Ops Brand, and even old Blackhawk.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the bungee tightened version of pistol mag pouches. Tacos or similar. I have used them with 1911 mags, double stack polymer guns, and extended competition mags.

nice to be able to use the same pouches for any range practice I'm trying to do.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like the bungee tightened version of pistol mag pouches. Tacos or similar. I have used them with 1911 mags, double stack polymer guns, and extended competition mags.

nice to be able to use the same pouches for any range practice I'm trying to do.
View Quote

I also have some of these, but when attached to a vest and you need to go prone for any reason, they seem to catch on everything, and scatter mags on the ground.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#14]
voodoo is crap. Condor is probably the same crap.

We have an armory forum, there's a tactical gear subsection.  Look there if you haven't.

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Esstac mag pouches are by far my favorite.  However, to keep a slim profile on the front of my plate carrier,  I like the blue force gear 10 speed triple mag carrier.  It is light and slim and if no mags are inserted, it lats very flat. It's not great for reinserting mags like esstac, but I dont like bulk on the front of my pc. I run Kywis on my belt. I also have blue force gear micro trauma kit on my belt and a NAR roo kit on the cummerbund on my PC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top