Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/25/2021 9:52:15 AM EDT
Just ordered 4 of these. ONLY $101.72 after taxes with free shipping.

https://www.buylci.com/water-can-5-gallon-olive-drab.html
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Yip, been ordering from  them for 15 years
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer them in blue
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#4]
You might want to get a wrench for the cap if you plan to lay them on their sides. I have a few and I can't seem to get them tight enough by hand to keep them from leaking if they are not upright. Otherwise great cans and I would buy more.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's a site with some interesting stuff for you new cans.

https://jagmte.com/
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks.
I'm going to sew up a strap or two to copy those pouring straps.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:09:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Serious question. I buy boxes of water at Sam's. 6, 1 gal to a box. Keep about 100 gal of water. I rotate them in less then a year. They stay in a controlled temperature area, and stays dark all the time unless I go in there.

Is there a benefit to getting these cans open the water and filling the cans up? Or am I potentially causing the water to get less then ideal drinking water. I can always get some of these and use the water to wash off or shit like that incase of no water.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Serious question. I buy boxes of water at Sam's. 6, 1 gal to a box. Keep about 100 gal of water. I rotate them in less then a year. They stay in a controlled temperature area, and stays dark all the time unless I go in there.

Is there a benefit to getting these cans open the water and filling the cans up? Or am I potentially causing the water to get less then ideal drinking water. I can always get some of these and use the water to wash off or shit like that incase of no water.
View Quote

Only issues is the seams on the 1 gal jugs could leak. If they are stored in cool,  dark area  ( no direct sunlight) , you should be fine. If they go thru freeze/ thaw cycle, it'll cause issues, being in TX it shouldn't matter but look what happened not long ago.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn’t get them just to move the water from your Sam’s club containers. Unless you live in a location you plan on having to leave in case of serious issues. Even then I would keep the cans empty and only then move the boxed water to them in the event of having to leave.

I use the cans for my Jeep off roading in case I need to refill radiator in an emergency and to cook, drink, and wash if staying out in the bush camping.
I keep them in my truck empty just in case I’m away from home and “something” happens to make me feel  that I need to fill them fast for whatever reason. I pre fill them if I’m traveling in the truck.

They are also empty at home and then filled if I felt the need to supplement the 55 gallon cans that are always filled.

Water to me is tied for top billing in case of serious problems. Right up there with firearms and ammo.
I have 6 layers of redundancy for it. Note that 70 % of my emergency food stores are dehydrated.

Plus a hell of a lot of people overlook the importance of good hygiene in preventing dangerous infections and communicable disease in long term situations

I have a bunch of the blue 5 gallon containers, but they’re not as durable as these new ones and will slowly be replaced by more of them. The blue will then be back ups.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wouldn’t get them just to move the water from your Sam’s club containers. Unless you live in a location you plan on having to leave in case of serious issues. Even then I would keep the cans empty and only then move the boxed water to them in the event of having to leave.

I use the cans for my Jeep off roading in case I need to refill radiator in an emergency and to cook, drink, and wash if staying out in the bush camping.
I keep them in my truck empty just in case I’m away from home and “something” happens to make me feel  that I need to fill them fast for whatever reason. I pre fill them if I’m traveling in the truck.

They are also empty at home and then filled if I felt the need to supplement the 55 gallon cans that are always filled.

Water to me is tied for top billing in case of serious problems. Right up there with firearms and ammo.
I have 6 layers of redundancy for it. Note that 70 % of my emergency food stores are dehydrated.

Plus a hell of a lot of people overlook the importance of good hygiene in preventing dangerous infections and communicable disease in long term situations

I have a bunch of the blue 5 gallon containers, but they’re not as durable as these new ones and will slowly be replaced by more of them. The blue will then be back ups.
View Quote

Excellent post.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Having the USGI cans, yes good. Filling them up, not needed based on what you describe.

You could also buy a conversion kit for the spout, and that way you can choose how many go for water, and how many might be used for fuel in a pinch.

IMHO it is easier/cheaper to diversify your sources of water than it would be for fuel.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:05:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Only issues is the seams on the 1 gal jugs could leak. If they are stored in cool,  dark area  ( no direct sunlight) , you should be fine. If they go thru freeze/ thaw cycle, it'll cause issues, being in TX it shouldn't matter but look what happened not long ago.
View Quote

Yeah...we had a nice winter, reminded me of back home in N.Y.??
But yeah and house temp and dark.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

No...I know its important, need water for alot of stuff. Main water line leaked 2 years ago, I know how much the importance of water is. The only water I have is what I buy from Sam's. If no water, that means I need to tap into my drinking water to even brush our teeth. I think I should buy at least 4 and have them empty for that purpose only or just have them filled.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Excellent post.
View Quote

Hell yeah.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Having the USGI cans, yes good. Filling them up, not needed based on what you describe.

You could also buy a conversion kit for the spout, and that way you can choose how many go for water, and how many might be used for fuel in a pinch.

IMHO it is easier/cheaper to diversify your sources of water than it would be for fuel.
View Quote

Yeah...cause as of right now, I have no source of containing water, other then my tub. A couple of these at the ready makes sence to me. For hygiene.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#16]
GUYS....ALL OF YOUS, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

IM NOT YELLING.

Just ordered 5 of them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

IM NOT YELLING.

Just ordered 5 of them.
View Quote

Do yourself a favor ( and everyone else) order a couple extra caps/lids and you can modify one to use a mechanical push/pull RV pump , takes no power and draws water with each pull and push. This way you can get water out without handle a 5 gal can full of water.

The cap / pump set up is great for camping etc.etc.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

IM NOT YELLING.

Just ordered 5 of them.
View Quote

As they say on ARFCom News: You're welcome; I love you.

Next step if you own your home is to look into IBC totes or 55gal drums (or other things if they work for you).

I think TX and a few other states offer incentives for rainwater cisterns. Read here or search for the "TX rainwater harvesting handbook": God Bless Texas

IMHO, the best "preps" don't affect your household budget in a significant way, and are invisible or just "part of the process" during the good times. This way it's not such a shock if you have to switch from primary, to alternate, to contingency, to emergency sources. Side benefit: "low-profile" preps also keeps the wife happy. That's not nothing.

Life is pretty damn good in the USA when things are working as they should. And it just makes good financial sense to only to spend the least you can (without turning your house into a fortress or tying yourself down to 100,000lbs of shit that few other people care about).

But I think an often overlooked aspect is, "just being a good neighbor". Imagine being the guy in your neighborhood who everyone thinks "that's a solid dude" the next time the power or water is out vs, "I don't know that guy down the street very well, and I am afraid to get shot, but I am willing to bet he has some water or food, because he seems like the type, and I'm thirsty".

Instead, months or years before a true crisis, you guys become grilling buddies. And turns out his wife is a nurse! And her friend's husband is a diesel mechanic! And his friend....THAT'S survival!

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Do yourself a favor ( and everyone else) order a couple extra caps/lids and you can modify one to use a mechanical push/pull RV pump , takes no power and draws water with each pull and push. This way you can get water out without handle a 5 gal can full of water.

The cap / pump set up is great for camping etc.etc.
View Quote

Im new to this, got a link?
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Im new to this, got a link?
View Quote

Like this

https://www.amazon.com/KISENG-Portable-Dispenser-Replacement-Fountains/dp/B08GLD4H7C/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=rv+pump+faucet&qid=1622417786&sr=8-16

I have similar,,very impressed with it. Jus modify a cap, reason i say get extra
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks man.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Stupid question... anyone use these for gas or are they the wrong type of plastic. Just as a hypothetical...
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Bought 4 of them last fall for our remote cabin.  We've got an artesian we'll 3 miles down the road I get our water from.  Considering another half dozen for when we get showering/sauna setup.  Been working slowly on getting it outfitted for longer term living.  Spent a few weeks this winter while trapping and loved it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Stupid question... anyone use these for gas or are they the wrong type of plastic. Just as a hypothetical...
View Quote

I guess you could but I wouldn't, esp when you can still get steel cans that seal.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

People can and have, they're both made from the same basic material.  The problem is lack of a spout (you could make one easily enough) and the fact that you then make it permanently useless for carrying potable water.  Like advised above, plan ahead and buy the right fuel can.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

The cans in the OPs post are not the same as the interesting stufff in your link  The stuff in your link is for specter, different size lid, different size inner casket, etc
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#27]
First OP thanks for the link!

Second I picked up two Sand/Tan cans from the place, they were cheaper than the OD ones by a buck or so. I also picked up an additional water can cap, which put me just over 50$ so I got free shipping.

SKU 906396 MFG 7240000893827 for the tan cans
SKU 600118 MFG 7240000897312 for the tan cap
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The cans in the OPs post are not the same as the interesting stufff in your link  The stuff in your link is for specter, different size lid, different size inner casket, etc
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you should actually click the link and look around a bit.  They sell things that fit both cans (like the pouring strap) and they sell manufacturer specific parts (like caps) for both manufactures.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought these parts at home depot. John Guest 3/8" male pipe to 3/8 quick connect, some 3/8 OD poly tube and a John Guest 3/8 shut off valve.  Cost me about 20$

I drilled the pour cap large enough were I could start to thread the adapter, didn't need to tap or use teflon tape, the cap is kind of soft. You can thread it by hand. Important You need to be real careful to make sure the hole is centered in the cap as to not damage the sealing flange inside the cap. The 3/8" male pipe thread goes in perfect, if centered.

Then stick in whatever length of poly you want and then attach the valve. If you want to it cheap as can be, just get the John guest valve with the pipe thread and screw it into the cap.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I got my 5 tan ones recently and tonight decided to clean them up.   Not one of them will seal no matter how tight the caps are.   The green ones I bought several years ago, also LCI, seal just fine in one revolution to the tab.   These new ones are noticeably looser at that point and will go well past it but still leak.   Not a little bit either, they leak a lot.

I'm off to search for some o-rings unless somebody knows a good link.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Update.   The o-rings didn't work for me.  
I tried to tighten one by hand to see what I had to endure to get them to not leak and the cap jumped the threads on me.   This is by hand, so a wrench would do nothing.
I thought maybe just the caps were bad so I ordered a green cap(my cans are tan) and no luck.
I need a flat rubber gasket if they are made by anyone.
Does anybody know if one is available?
I'm about to throw these cans in the recylcle bin.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I bought some last year and mine leaked even after using a wrench.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#34]
I think that’s just the nature of the MWC’s, they wobble a little bit when you stand them up and they may leak.  That’s the level of quality the government accepts so that’s the level of quality they’re built to.  They are what they are.

If you need that style of can that’s built to better tolerances and probably won’t leak then you need to go with the Scepter cans.  Given the price, you better really, really want the can.  With that said, I’ve got 16 Scepter cans and none of them leak.  I’ve got 4 LCI MWC’s (green) and 2 of them leak.  I knew where I wanted to end up and bought my Scepters a few at a time over several years.  

Rokchukrslave, I hope you’re kidding about throwing them out.  Even if they leak a bit they’re still a useful can to have around. You may not be able to use them for long term water storage but for everything else they’re great cans and still a good value for what you get.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:14:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Is there a practical difference between these and the USGI plastic sceptor fuel cans?  

I can't find the fuel cans everywhere and these are much cheaper than NATO jerry cans.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:40:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Is there a practical difference between these and the USGI plastic sceptor fuel cans?  

I can't find the fuel cans everywhere and these are much cheaper than NATO jerry cans.
View Quote

I would not use a water can for fuel storage.

There is no commercially available fuel spout for the water cans….and the manufacturer won’t….these are water cans not fuel cans.

Buy metal NATO cans for fuel and a proper spout.  

Scepter fuel cans are only available in the US on the used market and are grossly overpriced.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think that’s just the nature of the MWC’s, they wobble a little bit when you stand them up and they may leak.  That’s the level of quality the government accepts so that’s the level of quality they’re built to.  They are what they are.
View Quote
Could the 'leak' be a design feature?  Military cans will often be transported by air, and although most aircraft will keep the cabin pressure around 7.5 psid, there are times when they'll depressurize completely (HALO comes to mind).  If the cans didn't breathe a little they could burst.

Totally spitballing though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Could the 'leak' be a design feature?  Military cans will often be transported by air, and although most aircraft will keep the cabin pressure around 7.5 psid, there are times when they'll depressurize completely (HALO comes to mind).  If the cans didn't breathe a little they could burst.

View Quote

Never say never but I'd be very surprised if that was the case.  I think if the military thought that was a desirable thing then they would all leak, but they don't.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think that's just the nature of the MWC's, they wobble a little bit when you stand them up and they may leak.  That's the level of quality the government accepts so that's the level of quality they're built to.  They are what they are.

The mil-spec governing MWC requirements, MIL-C-43613D (latest I have) doesn't allow leaking per para. 4.6.1 Leakage Test.  This is tested with the can full, cap tight and the can sitting on it's handle (i.e. upside down).  ASFAIK, there are no pressure test requirements for the MWC.

There is a 30 and 60 psi pressure tests for the MFC (MIL-C-53109, para. 4.6.1.6 and subs).
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Maybe you should actually click the link and look around a bit.  They sell things that fit both cans (like the pouring strap) and they sell manufacturer specific parts (like caps) for both manufactures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I not only looked around but ended up buying the wrench, new lids, gaskets not knowing they don't apply to the plastic water  cans in in the original post.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The mil-spec governing MWC requirements, MIL-C-43613D (latest I have) doesn't allow leaking per para. 4.6.1 Leakage Test.  This is tested with the can full, cap tight and the can sitting on it's handle (i.e. upside down).  ASFAIK, there are no pressure test requirements for the MWC.
View Quote

I think that's probably been the case since the can was first adopted.  At this point I've seen enough posts about leaky MWC's from folks who used them in the service that I don't think the military cares.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I not only looked around but ended up buying the wrench, new lids, gaskets not knowing they don't apply to the plastic water  cans in in the original post.
View Quote

So you bought MFC stuff instead of MWC stuff?  Sorry, can't help you with that.  It is a shame the MFC's aren't still sold here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought 5 of these cans and disappointed they don't have o-rings like the scepters I bought.  I feel a lot better with the o-ring in there for sealing
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I think that's probably been the case since the can was first adopted.  At this point I've seen enough posts about leaky MWC's from folks who used them in the service that I don't think the military cares.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or more probably, civilians are getting the rejected cans.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Or more probably, civilians are getting the rejected cans.  
View Quote

No way to tell for sure I guess but you'd hope the sellers would let you know that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I bought 5 LCI cans several years ago and not one of them leak and I only tighten the lid until the tab clicks over.
My 5 new LCI cans all leak and are not tight or sealed where the tab clicks over.   They go well past that and still leak.   A wrench will not help if I can get the lid to jump the threads with my bare hands.
All I'm looking for is a flat gasket for a fix but don't know if the exist.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind the purpose of showing the requirements is to show that deliberate leakiness was never a requirement, as asked above.  But requirements are just that; the reality of manufacturing is something else.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I bought 5 LCI cans several years ago and not one of them leak and I only tighten the lid until the tab clicks over.
My 5 new LCI cans all leak and are not tight or sealed where the tab clicks over.   They go well past that and still leak.   A wrench will not help if I can get the lid to jump the threads with my bare hands.
All I'm looking for is a flat gasket for a fix but don't know if the exist.
View Quote

They sure sound defective.  I'm not sure how you would use a flat gasket to seal the cap, given how they work, but McMaster-Carr has a lot to choose from if you can figure out the size.

https://www.mcmaster.com/rubber-gaskets/
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I have 5 Scepters and 10 LCI's, none of them leak. Since they are made from plastic, is it possible that on the ones that leak there is a little "flashing" left over from the molding process that could be removed?
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#50]
I had good luck with the two tan ones I bought a few weeks ago. I bought 4 more, in OD this time. I just got done with a quick leak check. The new cans didn't leak either.

I simply screw the cap down until the tab clicks then I back the cap up were the tabs just touch. The caps aren't tight at all. No need for any kind of tool/wrench to tighten or loosen the caps.

I do wonder, as someone previously mentioned, if maybe there is some mold "flashing" on some of these cans where the flange of the cap meets the mouth of the can. That would be the inside lip of the cans mouth.

If I had leak problems that's the first place I'd look.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top