Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2019 4:14:53 PM EDT
I'm sure this has been hashed out a million times, and I'm kinda surprised there isn't an 'MRE Oracle' sticky.

I should preface by saying I already have a decent amount of long term food stored in the way of canned goods, and dry goods in mylar buckets. I do not have any Mt House, but I'm not against getting them in the future, I just want MREs at this point because of the lack of need to cook them.

I do still have my first ever "preps", a few pre-9/11 MREs I got from my brother when I was a teen. I'm sure they are still good, but I would like to open one up, eat it, and maybe replace it with 2 cases.

Can anyone direct me to the best deals on MREs?

I know there are a lot of civilian knock off which suck. Don't want those. The XMREs sound good from what I've read, but they're not cheap.

So far I have found a deal on Amazon: Case A and B (24) 2019 inspect date for $126 shipped. Second deal is eBay from a private seller, same product, $95 shipped and he has 2 listings (total of 4 cases in 2 listings).

Am I in the right track?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#1]
in for the discussion
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer to stock up on main courses and sides that I like rather than buying complete MRE cases. I like these guys.
https://theepicenter.com
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer to stock up on main courses and sides that I like rather than buying complete MRE cases. I like these guys.
https://theepicenter.com
View Quote
+1 on this! This way you get what you want and like!  A good company too!
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually get mine on Amazon.  Had great luck so far.  I usually get an A+B 24 case.  I like the variety.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have prime and look a little you can get a and b cases 2019 inspection for 120 shipped.

I just got 3 sets and they were in very good shape. I'll post the vendor when I get to a computer.

eta: Ozark outdoorz. It looks like the cheapest price they have for the pair of cases now is 126.00 for 2019 inspection.

There are others who have them for 115 but since I've not bought from them, I can't vouch. Amazon rating system keeps everyone pretty well in check and informed in my experience. Shoddy vendors get hammered pretty quickly. So I may order some from Atom promotions. They have 2021 inspection (current year production) for 90 bucks a case.

OP mentioned 20 year old MRE. IME, they may not kill you but edible isn't a word I'd use for them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Amazon Product
  • 24 Genuine US War Fighter Ration Meals. Military Surplus With Inspection Date 2019/Pack Date 2016.
  • Includes Western Frontier's Inspection Certificate and Pack Date. Ready for Long Term Storage or Immediate Consumption. Approximately 1250 calories per meal. Only Military MREs include an accessory pack with flavor enhancing seasonings, matches, toilet paper, and other survival essentials. Meal contents will vary from photos.
  • Ships lightning fast with Amazon Prime (Free 2 Day Shipping for Prime Members) so you can get your cases in time for the weekend camping trip, hunting adventure, fishing excursion, or emergency preparations.

Link Posted: 2/17/2019 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you have prime and look a little you can get a and b cases 2019 inspection for 120 shipped.

I just got 3 sets and they were in very good shape. I'll post the vendor when I get to a computer.

eta: Ozark outdoorz. It looks like the cheapest price they have for the pair of cases now is 126.00 for 2019 inspection.

There are others who have them for 115 but since I've not bought from them, I can't vouch. Amazon rating system keeps everyone pretty well in check and informed in my experience. Shoddy vendors get hammered pretty quickly. So I may order some from Atom promotions. They have 2021 inspection (current year production) for 90 bucks a case.

OP mentioned 20 year old MRE. IME, they may not kill you but edible isn't a word I'd use for them.
View Quote
Yea, I just got A+B 2019 inspection date for $110 to my door a few days ago (atom promotions llc via amazon.)  I usually keep the item in my cart and watch the price go up and down.  I try to keep a full set/case on hand and if I think I am getting close to needing to break into my sealed A+B then I start watching the price in my cart.  It takes me at least a year to go through an A+B but I actually enjoy them, and they are a treat for me to use while hiking camping, or even when the power is out.  I have two A+B sets sealed in the man cave right now so I am good for at least a year moving forward.  I like to always have at least one full sealed A+B incase of a vehicle bug out situation.  Perfect first grab and go food item, and well the serve the same purpose if we stay home.  I still have the A+B 2019 inspection date in my cart, and if it drops below $100 I will probably grab one more.  If it doesn't drop below $100 in the next year then I will probably add a newer inspection date to my cart; wash rinse repeat.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#8]
 That's the one I keep in my wish list to monitor.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#9]
that's pretty hard to beat delivered.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:25:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Great price for both!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Says packed in 2016 so what’s the shelf life ?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
nominal 5 years, reality depends on how they are stored,
cool/dry many years, but there will be some degradation

go look here
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've eaten them at about 10 years and they were rather blah. Caveat being this was probably 15-18 years ago. So, the tech may have progressed as well as the food quality.

The ones I have now are sitting at 3 years and the few I've eaten were as good as new. Very good. I was impressed.

I intend on rotating through them and keep on hand that which I could/will eat in the window of time which they're good for. I don't see eating more than one or two cases of 12 per year, so I can stock 6-10 cases or so without any waste.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife and I just "enjoyed" 2 MREs...spaghetti with meat sauce & beef stew from A pack ready meal dated  by myself as received  5-2011.
Tasted fine, oatmeal cookie was a little dry.
The stew was mostly potatoes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Dupe!
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Believe it or not, but if you freeze them they will last almost indefinably.

Youtube channel Steve1989 did a review on 2 meals from the 1990's that were frozen and they were still fresh as the day they were made.

I'm lucky in that I have a guy who does a local gun show that will have cases for me for $40.  I just bought some late 2017 manufacture case A and B as well as 6 cases of First Strike rations made late 2017.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I got the ones linked above (dang you people and your deals anyway). They came pretty much exactly like the picture. So, everybody that can see your porch will know you just got a couple of cases of MREs.

I have some still from my Puerto Rico excursion at home but I didn't have any here in Texas along the gulf coast. Thought it might be a good idea with hurricane season starting June 1.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I got the ones linked above (dang you people and your deals anyway). They came pretty much exactly like the picture. So, everybody that can see your porch will know you just got a couple of cases of MREs.

I have some still from my Puerto Rico excursion at home but I didn't have any here in Texas along the gulf coast. Thought it might be a good idea with hurricane season starting June 1.
View Quote
I got them from two different vendors. One came like you said. The other had the MRE cases inside another box (which I thought was more appropriate).

I'll try to remember to look tonight and list which vendor did which packaging. I was surprised when the first pair of cases showed up "bare". Not a huge deal but still irksome.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've eaten 10+ year old MREs, the old brown ones, and lived.  Maybe closer to 15 years, based in Dad'sretirement date.   No stomach problems.  Only one had any issues, and that was an individual packet in the "meal."

Stored in my parents' garage in SoCal, non climate controlled.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've eaten 10+ year old MREs, the old brown ones, and lived.  Maybe closer to 15 years, based in Dad'sretirement date.   No stomach problems.  Only one had any issues, and that was an individual packet in the "meal."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive got a case of those...... I'll use them to feed my starving soccer mom harem.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Wouldn't mind getting a case or two to keep on hand.  I tried one for the first time a few months ago.  Santa Fe Chicken, I think it was. It was pretty good.  I used the heater to warm it up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wouldn't mind getting a case or two to keep on hand.  I tried one for the first time a few months ago.  Santa Fe Chicken, I think it was. It was pretty good.  I used the heater to warm it up.
View Quote
Just pulled the trigger on two cases/24 meals. Will keep them at the BOL and in about four years buy two more cases and rotate thru these.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I have bought complete mre stuff from sales here and there, stored ok but a few years old so price was down.  This lets you see what all they pack and basically play with your food.

Once you play with your food, and hopefully took notes, you can order what you like piece meal.

Every few years I tend to order more mre stuff.  I readily admit I keep a few complete packs around for folks at a get together who want one and never had one or who just won't shut up and did not bring food.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top