Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2022 1:59:08 PM EDT
My father passed and I took his old cases of MRE's. Are they like best buy dates?  Won't kill you, just might not taste good or have full caloric value?

Talking 10-15 years
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Good for several years after inspection dates unless stored in freezing or roasting hot conditions.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I've eaten 15 year old MREs, the old brown ones after GWOT started.  Didn't die.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm still eating MREs, I bought at least 22 years ago.
I don't know how many years earlier, they were sealed.
The temps in the room, rarely got above 70  - and mostly 65  and cooler in summer, <55  in winter.
It might depend on the type of food in the MRE.
IF the package is swollen, it's definately bad.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#5]
well, the package date on the box was 95.  They were stored in my fathers barn and I moved them after he passed.

Just opened a chili mac.  Everything was still airtight it looked like.  tried the fruit, crackers, granola bar and grape drink.  All tasted fine.  Heating up the chili mac, although it seems like the heater doesnt work so hot.  no pun intended
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
well, the package date on the box was 95.  They were stored in my fathers barn and I moved them after he passed.

Just opened a chili mac.  Everything was still airtight it looked like.  tried the fruit, crackers, granola bar and grape drink.  All tasted fine.  Heating up the chili mac, although it seems like the heater doesnt work so hot.  no pun intended
View Quote
27 year old MRE's stored in a barn?? I going to assume this barn is not climate controlled, even if it were...

WHY, would you even try to eat these? I would understand during end of times and the undead have been walking the earth for years... Unless Ohio is vastly different than Nevada we're not there, yet

Shit can and replace..

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
27 year old MRE's stored in a barn?? I going to assume this barn is not climate controlled, even if it were...

WHY, would you even try to eat these? I would understand during end of times and the undead have been walking the earth for years... Unless Ohio is vastly different than Nevada we're not there, yet

Shit can and replace..

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit can and replace..

Bah!  I would at least give em a taste
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Chicken food.....me and the wife tore into a case running 5 years over use by date. I was fine she was sick for 24 hours and pissed at me for pushing the experiment. There is a point where you need to eat it or replace it MREs in a barn sounds like a bad day. They have dates for a reason sure you can go over but MREs arent designed.for long term storage.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, they were way old and not stored anywhere near properly.  I really wanted to keep them for the heaters and just wanted to see if they were still, well, cant say edible since they never really were!

Still alive, although just sniffed the chili mac.  Not brave enough to try that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#10]
The crackers seem to last forever, I ate some 30 y.o. ones with no ill effects.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#11]
OP really needs to get that out onto a tray.

Attachment Attached File

Seriously probably some of the items will be ok, but others maybe not so much at that age.

Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Depends on how they were stored.
Even under the best conditions you'll find certain components don't survive well past the expiration date
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Steve in the picture above always says trust your nose. If it smells bad it is. He was also hospitalized from a  less than year old Chinese military MRE . He got a second one and the main course had the same funky smell. He did not eat it. He has eaten British Hardtack from 1898 and lots of WW2 rations.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:15:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I had an MRE from 1984 in AIT in 2004.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#16]
sound alot like those WW II powder bags they used to give us to fire our 155SP's in the guard,,,
purple stains on some of them, but they went BOOM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top