Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2017 10:16:36 PM EDT
Hey guys, currently from Chicago ( eventually moving to Tennessee. I've been trying to get out fishing more often.  I fish maple lake , bull frog lake and the des plaines river near lemont.  
   I have a real large assortment of lures.  But not only am I having a hard time catching ( which is part of fishing so im ok with it)  but I continuously get snags.   Ill lose 2 or 3 lures every time.    If I fish the lakes I hit huge amounts of seaweed. If I fish the river i snag on rocks or logs. I tried a spoon style weedless and it got stuck on 2nd cast.

Any advise ? Better lures?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:27:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PvtJoeBauers] [#1]
Fish the edges of weed beds.

Practice precision casting in your yard.

If you're losing crankbaits in the rocks crank slower or get shallower diving lures.

Heavier test and/or better quality line.

Better knots

Lure retrievers are available as well. Stick type and rope type
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I never lose them due to failed knots. I get them stuck and can't retrieve them no matter what i do.

In the lakes where there's a lot if seaweed,  how to avoid it?  It covers the entire area around my fishing spots.   You have to cast over it but when you reel it in you'll get snagged about 15 or 20 feet out.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:50:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PvtJoeBauers] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nightstalker32:
I never lose them due to failed knots. I get them stuck and can't retrieve them no matter what i do.

In the lakes where there's a lot if seaweed,  how to avoid it?  It covers the entire area around my fishing spots.   You have to cast over it but when you reel it in you'll get snagged about 15 or 20 feet out.
View Quote
Heavy braid (85lb) for that but trebles are still going to snag. You'll have a better recovery rate though.

Weedless rigged plastics on jig heads or weedless rigged on a hook behind a bullet weight.

Top water in that area dawn and dusk. Weedless frogs etc if need be.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd go with using jig heads and a worm hooked weedlessly like a Texas rig.

Or you could skin hook a fluke and fish it around weed beds. They work very well retrieving them around the edges, shady side especially.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top