Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2022 2:58:27 PM EDT
Went to "Rummage Sale" at LGS for their 5th anniversary.  Found (amongst other treasures) a NIB Katadyn Vario water filter.  About $90 on Amazon, cost me $1.00.

It will cost me about $60 for spare filter element, spare internal ceramic pre-filter and a bunch of foil-wrapped activated charcoal packets with which the OEM filter can be "re-charged" when necessary.  Having spares is what I do.

I showed up just as they were finishing setting-out all the "R-S" stuff, so I was able to score multiple bargains in addition to the Water filter.  Pays to show up early.

Got a delicious free lunch as well.

I know you all hate me for my good luck; it's OK.  I've been screwed in the past, so this is some amount of good karma getting back to me.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:18:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice score!!!
I used to catch some good deals but the last couple of years have been weak around here
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I know you all hate me for my good luck; it's OK.  I've been screwed in the past, so this is some amount of good karma getting back to me.

View Quote

No hate here brother !     I celebrate others good fortune in most matters
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]
No hate here either. I'm happy for you.

It's always kind of humorous whenever auctions are mentioned and all the naysayers pipe up with " there's no bargains...everything goes for more than you can buy it new... big waste of my time" . Really?
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
TYVM for kind comments.

Ordered spare parts while they are still available, and stashing them away.  FWIW, one never knows when a specific device will be discontinued, and spare parts no longer available.

Suggest ordering spare parts for any item far in advance of when such parts are needed.

Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#5]
New OEM foil-wrapped packets of factory  activated charcoal filler for OEM filter arrived today.  2 X items of 2 packets of charcoal, and 2 open cell foam thingies in each OEM pkg.  Foam cell cell foam stuff possibly some sort of pre-filter, IDK.

Putting all the 100% dry/unused items into added zip-lock bags, and labeling the stashed box for further use.  With all replacement filters and charcoal, whole thing cost about $70, a substantial savings.

Thanks for kind comments!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top