Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2019 1:17:01 AM EDT
Not electricity-dependent, not "cloud based" or smart phone dependent, ways to maintain a perimeter?

I have these old "Safe Home" Radio Shack alarms that detect being moved that are INCREDIBLY effective and are so low tech they cannot be defeated easily. The 9V batteries last for YEARS and the alarm is LOUD. They are no longer available that I can find. They are not the two part type that are sold everywhere and they use 9V not coin batteries.

More broadly, basically looking for ideas to detect perimeter intrusion of a home during a major disaster [e.g. driveways, fencelines, windows and doors].
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:35:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Application dependent, but having a pin holding back a circuit they turns on an alarm could work.

Think grenade and string, but less boom and more loud.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:38:09 AM EDT
[#2]
These linked to an scr would mean they don't turn off once activated until power is interrupted.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1766

ETA: would also draw zero standby current, so battery life is measured in years with lithiums.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Guardline...  Sensor only needs AA batteries once a year.

ETA:  The head end does need electricity but not the sensors.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Dakota alert murs sensors. long range wireless. magnetic driveway sensor and motion sensors. the motion sensors take d cells and the driveway magnetic takes a123. on a busy driveway i end up changing the batteries about 4 times a year.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just had a good thread about the MURS Dakota Alert sets.

Great units for the price. Very effective. We have used those in conjunction with seismics and other technology at our place for a long time.

Paint to match surroundings and they are a lot harder to spot- course by the time you spot this, it's alerted the base station and handhelds to you.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92237/IMG-0232-239906.jpg

You want to try to avoid the "whizz whizz wooo wooo" type alarms because they tell the intruder they are made (detected). With something like the MURS alarms or seismics, they don't know they have been made and will continue on.... meanwhile YOU know :)
View Quote
The nice thing about the murs system is it runs on analog VHF frequencies so you can buy a $25 handheld ham radio to monitor it instead of dakota alert's pricier receivers.

Their base station does have dry contacts on it which could be used to set off a home monitoring alarm or even connect to a raspberry pi or arduino system to do something fancier. You just need to ensure the dakota system is setup with a tone squelch / privacy code to reduce chances of interference or false positives from other people using the frequency.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#7]
empty can, filled with some pebbles attached to a string across a path.

(not my pic)

I have also seen a variation using an empty ammo can filled 1/3 of the way with spent brass and attached to a trip wire. IIRC- they were used in Vietnam like that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#8]
A little pricey for what they are. I've seen them for about $20

FOR BLANK SHELLS ONLY!
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#9]
There are .22 blank trip wire adapters.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Place under window ala "Death Wish 5"
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#11]
motion detecting water sprinkler
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#13]
My Dakota Alert Xmitters get 3 months to a set of batteries.
You'd need a way to recharge the receiver
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:40:17 AM EDT
[#14]
The driveway alerts and we had the thread that covered how to have 4 different alerts so you knew which section had an issue.

With solar panels or whatever you can charge little batteries on up to lawn mower or car batteries easily.

Most any of the above stuff will let someone know you know they are there.

Well hidden stuff that does not let them know you know is what I would aim for.

If you need more than the 4 zones then figure out an overlap so you can make more zones.  Someone with more brainpower than me can explain it better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top