Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2019 9:57:33 PM EDT
I am looking at getting a base antenna, the problem is that I want it to be able to be mounted in my attic. Is there any problem with me getting a J pole antenna and putting it up there? This is the antenna I’m looking at eBay link

This is for the 2m/ 70cm band, any other options or help would be appreciated!

(Yes I have my technicians license)
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
J pole is larger, heavier, and performs worse than a simple 1/4 wave ground plane or vertical dipole. A 5+ feet tall a J pole will be a challenge to install in an attic. J pole will also be crap on 70cm if that is important to you... a 1/4 wave will work better on 70cm, and with a little nuancing that can even be improved.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
J pole is larger, heavier, and performs worse than a simple 1/4 wave ground plane or vertical dipole. A 5+ feet tall a J pole will be a challenge to install in an attic.
View Quote
I’ll look into those options now, thank you
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the attic.  I have a Tram 1480 in mine.  About $50 shipped from Home Depot.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 4:30:30 AM EDT
[#4]
as long as you dont have a metal roof, a VHF/UHF antenna will work fine

Try to keep it away from wiring and the higher the better. Get a 1/4 or 5/8 or 7/8 wave with ground radials at the base.

Use the shortest piece of coax as possible for less loss or spend the bucks on LM400
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a Larsen mobile whip and base with a ground plane kit, works great.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Take a look at Ed Fong antennas.
https://edsantennas.weebly.com/
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I've used mag mount 2m/440 antennas in my attics for years. Go to Home Depot and get a piece of sheet metal to put it on.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a fan of hanging a diamond X50 in the attic with a piece of string as high as you can get it. Assuming you don't have a metal roof or something like that, that would impede the RF.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've used mag mount 2m/440 antennas in my attics for years. Go to Home Depot and get a piece of sheet metal to put it on.
View Quote
Quoted:
I'm a fan of hanging a diamond X50 in the attic with a piece of string as high as you can get it. Assuming you don't have a metal roof or something like that, that would impede the RF.
View Quote
Looking at these options now and I do NOT have a metal roof
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This,
I put a Jetstream version of the X50 in my dads attic as a backup station for me, it works fine. It was a stellar improvement over a copper j pole. I also used an Ed Fong when in my condo, I was on the 3rd story. I also went with the jetstream and it made a huge difference.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one of the Ed Fong roll-up j-pole antennas zip-tied to a piece and tucked into a corner of the room. No issues hitting local repeaters and great reception.

Link:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/DBJ-2-VHF-UHF-Dual-Band-Roll-Up-portable-Antenna-/122702461531

Best to you.

Mike
K5CWO
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#12]
loop antenna like mfj on a small rotator?
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#13]
DIY horizontal dipole could be made for dollars or free if you have some Romex and string and a spare plastic cutting board laying around. It will be zero gain though.

I’ll probably go that route or ground plain in the rental house I’m in now. Unfortunately (for Ham) my house in FL has a metal roof, so I’ll have to come up with a tree antenna or a tower of some sort when I finally get to move back.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
J pole is larger, heavier, and performs worse than a simple 1/4 wave ground plane or vertical dipole. A 5+ feet tall a J pole will be a challenge to install in an attic. J pole will also be crap on 70cm if that is important to you... a 1/4 wave will work better on 70cm, and with a little nuancing that can even be improved.
View Quote
This.

I ran tests side by side with a Fong, the 1/4 wave ate it's lunch.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
loop antenna like mfj on a small rotator?
View Quote
I was going to suggest a small yagi if you have the room. I could talk very long distances on 5W with my 4-ele. Worked great with an inexpensive Channel Master rotator.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
i've got an x50 in my attic now. it works great!
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was going to suggest a small yagi if you have the room. I could talk very long distances on 5W with my 4-ele. Worked great with an inexpensive Channel Master rotator.
View Quote
With my situation, that wouldn't be a terrible idea.

DM me with the Yagi name?
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Make it 2, I wanna link
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This also applies to foil backed insulation.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This also applies to foil backed insulation.
View Quote
I also don’t have that
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quoted:
Make it 2, I wanna link
View Quote
Sorry, guys. Haven't been on much this week.

Cushcraft A124WB
Best price (current) price I found. It was a beast. Seriously. Jax is huge and I could reach all over the city and outskirts on 5W.

I can't find the rotator I used to have and the only Channel Master I see now is pretty spendy. I'll try to find the model # to see if it's still available. Heading out of town in a few hours, though, so might not be til next week.

ETA: Just realized the OP mentioned dual-band. This only covers 2M. Hope it's still helpful. I only used my Moto on 440 to keep it digital so never used an external antenna.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sorry, guys. Haven't been on much this week.

Cushcraft A124WB
Best price (current) price I found. It was a beast. Seriously. Jax is huge and I could reach all over the city and outskirts on 5W.

I can't find the rotator I used to have and the only Channel Master I see now is pretty spendy. I'll try to find the model # to see if it's still available. Heading out of town in a few hours, though, so might not be til next week.

ETA: Just realized the OP mentioned dual-band. This only covers 2M. Hope it's still helpful. I only used my Moto on 440 to keep it digital so never used an external antenna.
View Quote
That’s awesome, thanks for the reply and link. I’ll check it out now!
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
DIY horizontal dipole could be made for dollars or free if you have some Romex and string and a spare plastic cutting board laying around. It will be zero gain though.

I’ll probably go that route or ground plain in the rental house I’m in now. Unfortunately (for Ham) my house in FL has a metal roof, so I’ll have to come up with a tree antenna or a tower of some sort when I finally get to move back.
View Quote
True. A vertically installed (polarized) dipole will work a lot better with repeaters and most stationary and mobile UHF/VHF FM stations.

I also never recommend a J-Pole as a good choice antenna.

Your choice of an attic antenna will depend on how much space is available in the attic, although it's always better to mount antennas externally, if possible. A simple 1/4 wave vertical can be made for pennies, from a coat hanger or a piece of wire. There is no wind or rain in the attic to affect the antenna in any way.
You can also mount a mobile antenna on a base with radials. Something like this mounted on this may work for you. Get a good quality, low loss coax cable, like LMR400 or similar.

Also, keep the antenna as far away as possible from any wiring or metal conductive objects in the attic. Try to keep the top of the antenna spaced away from the wooden support beams or the roof top plywood.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#24]
And remember, you can hang the antenna from the roof if that makes mounting easier, it just needs to be vertical.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top